Thread: KBS Editor Depth Parameters

1. Default KBS Editor Depth Parameters

Hi Scott, is "Light Depth" the ratio of "light on" to "light off" (i.e. Duty Cycle)? So a value of 100 would be the "light on" period is the same length as the "light off" period?

Is "Sound Depth" the same but for sound?

Blog Entries

Default Re: KBS Editor Depth Parameters

No, that is what a parameter like in the Procyon, Duty Cycle, does. Actually, on and off periods have very little meaning with the current KBS format because the modulation waveform is a sine wave. (or any other system that uses sine waves... well, partially true, the Procyon 'distorts' the waves in a unique manner with Duty Cycle settings on sines)

This is because a sine wave fades up and down slowly. It has a gentle slope. A square wave is an abrupt on and off. A square wave has a duty cycle of 50% (equal on and off) At lesser or greater settings it becomes a 'pulse wave'.

What the Depth parameter does is set how much the modulation 'cuts' into the light signal or sound tone. The tone is a constant droning tone and modulation can divide it up so we see flicker and hear pulses. When you set a Depth lower than 100% you let some amount of the drone come through.

Think of it like carving out 'layers' and leaving some 'solid' at the foundation. At 100% you hack the drone into pieces (with smooth edges because of the slope of the sine wave). At 50% you only go half way through and so forth.

Try these settings with audio and you can hear the effect. With light some measure of the LEDs would stay on all the time. Make sense?

The Wizard Sound Stimulation and Sychronization videos on our YouTube channel explain this a bit.
    Duty Cycle and other parameters as well as a variety of waveforms will be added to the KBS format. In fact, that work is in progress.

Hope this helps,
    Scott
    Last edited by neuroasis; 04-18-2015 at 02:28 PM.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

3. Default Re: KBS Editor Depth Parameters

Thanks Scott, that makes perfect sense.

Blog Entries

Default Re: KBS Editor Depth Parameters

An even easier way to think of this is as a wet/dry control like in audio effects. 100% is fully wet with the modulation. 0% fully dry.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Thread Information