Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Kasina with Monroe Institute Hemi-sync program ??

1. Default Using Kasina with Monroe Institute Hemi-sync program ??

I have Monroe Institute Hemi-sync program and I wanted to find out
    what is the best setting to use to play this program with Kasina?
    Does anyone have any experience with this type of program.
    Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Default Re: Using Kasina with Monroe Institute Hemi-sync program ??

I don't think Hemi-Sync has any encoding, so it would just appear as a music file to the Kasina.

You have a few options:
    You can run it through the Kasina and use the Color Organ function to get lights flashing with the track.
    You can take the track and using Mind Workstation or other tools, add an AudioStrobe or SpectraStrobe track to create an encoded media file which the Kasina can decode.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Using Kasina with Monroe Institute Hemi-sync program ??

Ok thanks Andy. I will try that.

4. Default Re: Using Kasina with Monroe Institute Hemi-sync program ??

Also, Does the Kasina come with the software Mind workstation? Or is the MUtools.com, the free program do the same thing?

Blog Entries

Andy is correct. There is no light encoding in Monroe recordings. Hemi-Sync is essentially binaural beats although likely complex ones. If you are willing to work at it you might uncover at least the essential frequencies at play using this utility: BAVSA http://uazu.net/bavsa/ . You would then create light tracks that match them somewhat. Note that it would not be exact, but it is at least a place to start.

Also make note of the issue that has been discovered when the recording doesn't have silence at the beginning. I just noticed the note on this and haven't tested it but the author acknowledges it. Maybe adding your own silence at the beginning would help. I will try it out at some point.

Anyway, hope this helps.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Respectfully, said with the full understanding that what is to follow will be anything but respectful...

I personally, representing no other organisation that I may have anything to do with, would like to see Holosync and Hemisync go away. Everything I've heard of either, good or bad, is incredible. I do not question that the user had the experience they describe, but the reason is wildly unlikely to be any effect of the tracks. Firstly, they are binaural - weak stimulus. There is also doubt as to whether entrainment occurs at low frequencies or whether other mechanisms are in place. More importantly, these "programs" have absolutely no rational mechanism to explain why what they suggest should/will happen should do so. The idea of "synchronization" of anything is intrinsically flawed insofar as that the brain rhythms should reflect the tasks the brain is actively engaged in at that time. Inducing not-demonstrably useful coherence at low frequencies (epilepsy is a form of over-coherence) is almost certainly counter-productive for anyone who is not already proficient at traditional meditation, exhibiting naturally the low frequencies these sessions target. There is also the assumption that their values (as expressed by the proposed mind-states) are intrinsically desirable, which is worth questioning.

Modern session design recognises that other beat forms are much more persuasive than binaurals (notably isochronic or pulse) and that more interesting session design serves more people well with a great deal less reported discomfort. Use of light further increases the impact and often the enthusiasm to continue use. There's the occasional headache or ruffled sleep, but that soon passes and often has causes beyond AVS.

Anyway, anything you hear anywhere is reproducible with MWS and a free audio editor such as Audacity. There's some excellent SpectraStrobe track generation tricks for Audacity too.

Cheers,
    Craig

Blog Entries

I'm going to agree with the bulk of what you are saying on a technical basis. However, I think the real value of these programs lies in their structured presentation. They lead you by the hand down a step by step program and at the end result it is really the 'time' that you have put in, more so than the 'magical' frequencies. We at MindPlace are well aware of this and a structured program based on strong scientific principles is forthcoming. (Anybody get an idea of how much movement is occurring behind the scenes and how MindPlace is firing at full cylinders?)

I have no doubt that the retreat structure 'Gateway' experience at Monroe with its intensive, group-think, brain blaster type heavy sessions (from reports) is intriguing.. just for the heck of it... but it is quite expensive.

The Kasina sessions push the limits of session design and utilize broadband stimulation and reinforcing ramps, cut aways, dissolves, circle ins and outs. abrupt shifts with back to baselines pickups... At the broad view there is nothing quite like them.

I anxiously await people's impressions...
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Also, Does the Kasina come with the software Mind workstation? Or is the MUtools.com, the free program do the same thing?
    Hi Hawker,

Didn't mean to overlook this question. Sorry about that. Mind Workstation is a separate purchase from the Kasina. MindPlace and Transparent are separate companies though Transparent does work hard to support our systems and those of other manufacturers. Though to be honest none of the current AVS systems has the broad range of capabilities to be used with all the tools in MWS as does the Kasina (not even close) To some measure the Kasina was designed to realize the full potential of software like Mind Workstation.

MWS is a very advanced and well programmed piece of software by a small and dedicated company that deserves your support.

MuTools at its heart is a digital audio workstation (DAW).. similar to Garage Band, Ableton Live, Logic, Reaper, Pro Tools... etc. CraigT has written a MUX (a modular synthesizer) patch for MuLab that generates SpectraStrobe at selectable frequencies (adjustable in realtime), isochronic (pulse) beat modulation, and its own live version of a Color Organ. You will have to know a bit about audio production, especially MIDI control tracks, if you want to get anywhere near what MWS can do... but for live play and tweaking it does things that MWS cannot.

Craig has said in another thread that MWS leans toward technical aspects (although makes them easy) and MuLab leans toward artistic aspects (although makes them hard... at first) Craig will prolly kick my butt for saying that But any advanced piece of software has a learning curve. Life is that way...

Hi,

Neuroasis doesn't seem to put anyone too far astray

It is my pleasure to make different pieces of software create Synchromuse content - all have exciting possibilities, and I hope I will be vaguely prepared to discuss the as-yet-unthought-of applications for Kasina as a stimulus controller.

Along the way I have found MuLab to be the most fun-per-time-invested and unbeatable in value (free until you want more - which you probably will and it's worth it). It is a different way of thinking, but far less so than most realise - MuLab, if approached with an open mind (or no prior knowledge!), is an environment much more comfortable to non-musicians than any (of the many) I have tried. MuLab opens the way to create sounds that are very difficult to create without the advanced sound synthesis and modelling that comes with a product like MuLab. MuLab can make any sound MWS can++, just some require more understanding of how sounds (or light control waveforms) are formed, which is, of itself, invaluable in understanding how a signal might provide a particular type of stimulation or a novel effect. A nice thing about MuLab is that it doesn't "install" - it can be run straight off a USB stick and won't leave spoor like most .NET apps if removed.

Before MuLab, and where appropriate now, I use Mind Workstation. There is nothing else like it - as in nothing! If embedded entrainment and/or biometrics are of particular interest to you, MWS is the shortest distance to those particular points. MWS has an awesome range of capabilities, and works well in partnership with other software such as MuLab, Audacity, etc.

Of course, both MuLab and MWS work well with Transparent's Thoughtsounds - a feature of my MuLab presets is The Kasina Effect which is the easiest possible way to add sophisticated light control to any existing audio - will strip existing AudioStrobe if necessary. Unfortunately (to avoid royalties and keep the price down, MuLab only handles WAV files - converting back and forth to MP3 or AAC is no big deal with so many free apps for the purpose.

There are many reasons to use AVS and thus many reasons to explore the tools available. There was a time (quite recently) when it was all about "brainwave entrainment". Now we know that BWE is certainly one of the effects of repetitive stimulus, we also know many other mechanisms, most only guessed or hypothesized, are at play in the subjective and objective experience/outcomes of AVS. Audio Visual Stimulation is a much more correct and encompassing term - it is amazing what mental processes can be stimulated by the right kind of session. Conventional "best practice" (primarily) entrainment sessions work well for many people for their intended purposes. Where the primary purpose is exploration of mind, then any avenue will be explored to get that special shift, hue or placement of color, the right color for the beat, that makes accessible a new realm for explorations.

Kasina ensures that the AV device isn't the limiting factor in my experiments.

Cheers,
    Craig

10. Default Re: Using Kasina with Monroe Institute Hemi-sync program ??

Quote Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
    There's some excellent SpectraStrobe track generation tricks for Audacity too.
    What exactly ARE those tricks? Please elaborate!

Thread Information