Thread: if I just use the audio feature,it will work for me?

Default if I just use the audio feature,it will work for me?

If it can help ,why do we also need the visual feature?Because there is an app in apple store called brain wave ,and the app just has the function of audio,but it sells pretty good.

Blog Entries

Default Re: if I just use the audio feature,it will work for me?

Thank you for your question. There are lots of audio only apps, numbering probably by now in the dozens. They are the easiest to produce as there is no hardware component short of the phone. Those that do attempt to use phone hardware like flashing the camera strobe or screen do not achieve the microsecond accuracy required for precise, controllable stimulation. If they do for short periods other background tasks on the phone quickly cause drift.

There is much going on in a mind machine internally to insure that flashes are delivered with pinpoint accuracy and that no other task has priority over this or interferes with it. Try this as an example to hear this. Take any metronome app and run it at 300bpm or more. 300bpm is 10hz (at quarter notes). Now try 600bpm (20hz). Now try 1200bpm (40hz). Very fast tempo-wise and most phone/tablet hardware cannot keep up with any kind of accuracy. Audio that is generated by amplitude modulation (like isochronic tones) uses a different method than this kind of packet scheduling but still it is a fair representation of the speed of impulses.

On the why as concerns physiology. The human visual system has many more connections into higher brain areas. There is little doubt of the ability of light flashes to effect broad change across large areas of the cortex. Witness for instance the response of photosensitive epileptics to light flicker. There is no such equivalent condition in the auditory centers.

I think this is a good general science article to read but the most applicable part is:

On the visual centers: http://discovermagazine.com/1993/jun...sionthingma227

"The machinery that accomplishes these tasks is by far the most powerful and complex of the sensory systems. The retina, which contains 150 million light-sensitive rod and cone cells, is actually an outgrowth of the brain. In the brain itself, neurons devoted to visual processing number in the hundreds of millions and take up about 30 percent of the cortex, as compared with 8 percent for touch and just 3 percent for hearing. Each of the two optic nerves, which carry signals from the retina to the brain, consists of a million fibers; each auditory nerve carries a mere 30,000.

The optic nerves convey signals from the retinas first to two structures called the lateral geniculate bodies, which reside in the thalamus, a part of the brain that functions as a relay station for sensory messages arriving from all parts of the body. From there the signals proceed to a region of the brain at the back of the skull, the primary visual cortex, also known as V1. They then feed into a second processing area, called V2, and branch out to a series of other, higher centers-- dozens, perhaps--with each one carrying out a specialized function, such as detecting color, detail, depth, movement, or shape or recognizing faces."

Hope this helps,
    Scott
    Last edited by neuroasis; 02-18-2015 at 02:53 AM.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Default Re: if I just use the audio feature,it will work for me?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    Thank you for your question. There are lots of audio only apps, numbering probably by now in the dozens. They are the easiest to produce as there is no hardware component short of the phone. Those that do attempt to use phone hardware like flashing the camera strobe or screen do not achieve the microsecond accuracy required for precise, controllable stimulation. If they do for short periods other background tasks on the phone quickly cause drift.

There is much going on in a mind machine internally to insure that flashes are delivered with pinpoint accuracy and that no other task has priority over this or interferes with it. Try this as an example to hear this. Take any metronome app and run it at 300bpm or more. 300bpm is 10hz (at quarter notes). Now try 600bpm (20hz). Now try 1200bpm (40hz). Very fast tempo-wise and most phone/tablet hardware cannot keep up with any kind of accuracy. Audio that is generated by amplitude modulation (like isochronic tones) uses a different method than this kind of packet scheduling but still it is a fair representation of the speed of impulses.

On the why as concerns physiology. The human visual system has many more connections into higher brain areas. There is little doubt of the ability of light flashes to effect broad change across large areas of the cortex. Witness for instance the response of photosensitive epileptics to light flicker. There is no such equivalent condition in the auditory centers.

I think this is a good general science article to read but the most applicable part is:

On the visual centers: http://discovermagazine.com/1993/jun...sionthingma227

"The machinery that accomplishes these tasks is by far the most powerful and complex of the sensory systems. The retina, which contains 150 million light-sensitive rod and cone cells, is actually an outgrowth of the brain. In the brain itself, neurons devoted to visual processing number in the hundreds of millions and take up about 30 percent of the cortex, as compared with 8 percent for touch and just 3 percent for hearing. Each of the two optic nerves, which carry signals from the retina to the brain, consists of a million fibers; each auditory nerve carries a mere 30,000.

The optic nerves convey signals from the retinas first to two structures called the lateral geniculate bodies, which reside in the thalamus, a part of the brain that functions as a relay station for sensory messages arriving from all parts of the body. From there the signals proceed to a region of the brain at the back of the skull, the primary visual cortex, also known as V1. They then feed into a second processing area, called V2, and branch out to a series of other, higher centers-- dozens, perhaps--with each one carrying out a specialized function, such as detecting color, detail, depth, movement, or shape or recognizing faces."

Hope this helps,
    Scott
    Thanks for your answer,I had brought procyon,and I also downloaded an app in apple store,the app really had some effect.

Thread Information