Thread: Does this exist anywhere?

1. Default Does this exist anywhere?

I have been searching most of the afternoon for a simple chart with research support "if it exists" for the use of the various colors in Spectrastrobe programming. I would love to know what each color is meant to do to the brain and any research supporting that. I have a very very scientific friend that is curious but very skeptical of this whole process. Specifically what I would love is some data on what colors trigger what reactions at what frequencies etc. I.e Reds trigger nervousness or fight/flight reaction. Article supporting this etc.
    A broad overview is fine.

Does this exist? I would also like this so that I can plan my own sessions.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does this exist anywhere?

Short answer:

The type of studies you seek will be found under a search in Google Scholar like Color Influence on Mood http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...ed=0CB0QgQMwAA

-------------------------
    Long answer:

One thing you will quickly learn about scientific research is that most studies are hidden behind a pay wall... a very expensive pay wall too like $30+ a pop. If one has academic affiliations or institute access then they can overcome this. What we are left with is anecdotes and popular science synopses. It's hard to justify denying access to the most pertinent research but that is the 'club'.

I go to university libraries sometimes where you can get access.

So I have to say honestly that most of the information you will find online in this field is marketing speak. Other things like long lists of frequencies and solfeggio this or that have kind of mythology around them. Mythology is fine as it goes and marketing is necessary but you have to keep things in context.

MindPlace is unique in the industry in that we also take an 'art' approach. This is IMHO where the true nature of opening up new possibilities lies. Scientific skepticism and rigor are necessary but the artist is free to play. Let the debates rage on which type of audio stimulation is better or which color or whatever. A bunch of 'I read this article or this person said that' don't do me much good. Do the work with the sessions. Make your own sessions. Experiment. Log the results. Report from experience. Don't just ape other's claims. (not you, my friend, generally) And because so much is subjective, people will hardly ever agree.

The artist does what excites the senses and purveys meaning. If it is inspiring then it is valid. What color is best for the sky? It is not always blue you know and if you have ever seen a green sky, it is a thousand times more memorable. The artist takes liberties to tell their story.

With AVS, the fact is that the color palette for closed eyes has deep limitations for the casual user. Red is the strong dominant color. It creates the strongest impression and stimulation. White glasses have a magical quality of lots of color illusions. Once you begin to work with AVS sessions you will find that you have to learn to work with the palette. Eye open sessions are a whole other world and the barriers are removed regarding color but new ones take their place as far as submersion and disassociation.

If you have a chance take a look at some of my color illusion studies in the blog http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...olor-Illusions . This is where the interesting stuff is. Learning to trick the brain into synthesizing colors from stimulation inputs, and does it apply to a wide group of people? These are unknowns begging for participation.

It is also interesting that you will find the most research concerning color from marketers, looking to make their product appealing. There is also a lot of newer research coming out now on LED lights as they become the de facto household lighting source.

As far as a strict scientific approach to sessions, in many ways there are far too many variables, and frankly it misses a large part of the point. Science can forensically study the Mona Lisa (again with her) and that's cool and all, but it adds a layer that was never intended by the artist. Always remember science doesn't even know what consciousness is, really, or how it originates. Nor is there the fortunate ability like say with electricity to mathematically model it, or even hardly know basic rules about it, beyond waking and sleeping. Like in meditation we can measure biomarkers and they are important, but the 'content' of the meditation is entirely subjective and nearly impossible to do much more than broadly categorize.

If you start off by looking at AVS session design as an art form with a certain medium and palette. Then you create and find your individual voice within that realm. Or you consume what others create and maybe even become a pundit or critic.

Skeptics also miss the point, and I am skeptical of 90% of BS I read about this field, but I know experientially what is possible, and where it can take you, because I've been there.

You are asking really good questions and thank you for the opportunity to rant a little. The chart doesn't exist to my knowledge. I know of lots of 'esoteric' color systems that report on these matters. But they hardly ever agree with one another. However, what interests me the most is the colors seen by synesthetes (yeah, I had to look up how to spell that). Surprisingly they map closely with the AVS closed eye color palette. Of course, again it is subjective and can only be statistically analyzed.That is an interesting discussion itself.

This was a pretty interesting research project on Artificial Synaesthesia http://dwig.lmc.gatech.edu/projects/...29-2011%29.pdf

Enough already
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

3. Default Re: Does this exist anywhere?

Woah that is fascinating. I see what you mean. As a bit of background.. my friend and I were discussing how it was his impression that blue light kept you up at night and that he was constantly using amber glasses to counter it. Since i have been reading on the forums that got me the impression that cooler colors tended to help you relax while red caused you to be a bit uptight which is how we kinda got into the subject of colors vs. uses.

Blog Entries

Blue light exposure shifting circadian cycles seems to have some validity. For that type of thing you do have to depend on research because they have the ability to measure melatonin levels. Here is a study: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ight=circadian.

Personally I use a piece of software called F.Lux https://justgetflux.com/ on all my screens (well not iPad as it is not jail broken) and I think it makes a huge difference. My screen for instance right now is kind of a pinkish/orange hue. Most blue light is removed.

However, artistically, I fight with that. Blue is a relaxing color. It is also kind of hard to see in closed eyes comparatively. In open eyes it pops out like crazy. I have begun to de-emphasize it in sleep sessions for the most part. You can still get a nice effect with darker greens and red mixtures which approach purple tones.

So, really it is a balance between what is subjective and what is physiological.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

I set up the beginnings of a framework to study shifting light colors throughout the day using algorithms in Mind Workstation. It is here. http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ght=blue+light

The frequencies shift throughout the day too going from waking beta approaching theta. You set your wake and sleep times and the formulas figure out the rest.

There is a short piece (which needs updating) discussing research on the effects of various colors on EEG and mood in our Articles section:
    http://mindplacesupport.com/files/98...idealcolor.pdf.

The works of Faber Birren on color and psychology were also an influence when we decided to move beyond using just a single color. We'll soon be offering 'eyes open' ganzwear, which definitely increases the number of perceivable colors and their intensity; these will open the door for even further excursions into 'entrainment art'.

Research has indeed shown that blue light tends to be relaxing, so it is a bit paradoxical from a psychological perspective that it also inhibits the production of melatonin if you are exposed to enough of it before bed, which red light has the smallest effect on melatonin production, but tends to be an 'arousing' color.

-Robert

Thread Information