Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Owner First Impressions

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Owner First Impressions

I want to give an update and I appreciate the offer for testing... it will be very helpful. It is good that we have Mac and PC people too. It is quite a challenge to fulfill the needs of both with functions that on the surface appear to operate the same but underlying use different APIs. I have Linux builds too but they are very much untested. Someone pipe in, if they want to work with me on sifting through that.

The editor has been expanded to include most basic functions that a user would need. Creating 'smart' KBS sessions, previewing segments, uploading completed sessions, aligning session lengths to music files (externally played still), SD card management: add files and folders, renaming files and folders, creating playlists, calculating playlist lengths (mixed audio and KBS too)... anyway, dozens of new features and improvements.

What stalled me for a while was getting decent copy progress reports on Windows. Since most people use the SD card mounted in the Kasina, copying mp3 files is pretty slow. So copy progress updates was crucial. On the Mac this was cake, on the PC not so much... an acceptable solution is in place now.

The final piece is firmware updating with 'rollback' protection and checksums of the copied files to insure there are no copy errors. This piece requires testing a lot of different scenarios and 'defensive' programming in case something goes amiss. It is really crucial to get this right. I'd much rather brick one of my Kasina's than yours, as unlikely as this is.

I would say the Mac version is good to go with some final checks and code signing for Gatekeeper and all that madness. The PC version is 99.9%. That means in the ready to test state.

I try not to unleash bug ridden crap on the world as much as I can, which means I test it over and over, throwing everything I can think of at it. Still, I would not think of everything and people's computers have different settings than mine. I know it won't be perfect on the first run and I fight the fear of it not being There has to be a level of cross platform uniformity and functionality that I am comfortable with though.

We have ambitious plans for expanding the Kasina and it is important that each release is fairly firm so we can build on it rather than putting out fires and going back to the drawing board... that is as much as possible and within reason.

Thanks for your interest and patience,
    Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

2. Default Re: New Owner First Impressions

Right on Scott, sounds awesome, thanks for the update!

3. Default Re: New Owner First Impressions

Can't wait to see what you have in store for us.
    Ready when you are.

4. Default Re: New Owner First Impressions

Scott, seeing as how you come from Ableton Live as your main DAW, do you have any MAX for Live devices you would want to share, that you have crafted for brainwave entrainment purposes?

Blog Entries

I don't have Max for Live devices that I've made, although I use many. However, I do have a pretty extensive set of racks and a workflow system. I can look at pulling them together into a Live Pack or some form that other people could utilize. I have intended to do this. The main hindrance is how much training materials I would have to create.

Are you pretty savvy with Live?
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

6. Default Re: New Owner First Impressions

I would like to think I am pretty adept with Live yea, have a handful of different midi controllers, including the Push even, but having said that, I think a person could spend a lifetime with tools like Live and still be learning new tricks

I managed to get a fairly basic couple of racks going that I can mostly replicate what I am able to do in something like Gnaural, but like most things in Live, there are a million ways to do any given task, so I am still exploring options and workflows that make sense for entrainment audio.

I totally get the feeling of having to make extensive "training material" for your racks/workflow, but if you want to share some of it, sans any documentation, I would love to poke around and see what you have come up with
    Last edited by Jameth; 01-14-2015 at 04:50 AM.

Blog Entries

Alright, cool, give me a little bit of time. The main thing is I will rename parts of the racks so they are somewhat self-explanatory for people who know what they are in the first place.

CJAdams, what DAW do you use?

8. Default Re: New Owner First Impressions

i'm a cubase/Nuendo user. I wonder if its nice Logical editor could do some interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNpeTKB1K64

Blog Entries

It's been years since I looked at Cubase. Is there enough information on the forum or in the GNaural templates for you to begin to try to implement SpectraStrobe using it? I would be most interested to see what you can do.

Thread Information