Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do not change the testimony devices

1. Default Do not change the testimony devices

Hello. 2 days ago I brought my
    thoughtstream but I did not get to use it - the fact that after I put sensors on the palm and run a session of color and sound indicators do not change color and tone ie always lit only red as if I was not trying to relax. Changes in the color and tone of the sound occur only after small (or large) hand movements. If I moisten with water and hand it to become wet then changes occur but very quickly and regardless of whether or not I relax. Is it possible that the device is defective? Or am I doing something wrong? Best regards, Dmitry

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do not change the testimony devices

Hello Dmitry,
    Your description indicates that the Thoughtstream is functioning properly.

Galvanic skin response (GSR) biofeedback machines sense electrical changes. Moisture in the skin changes the electrical resistance. The test you performed with water shows that the sensor is operating in the right way. The natural drying of the water by the air causes the change to happen quickly. You have proven that the ThoughtStream works.

The changes in the light display when you move your hand is normal. The contact points of the sensors on the surface of the hand change when you move. If you move a lot then the ThoughtStream will reset its calibration and the session will start reading from this new point.

Now, you want to practice to cause the moisture in your hand to dry. At first it can be hard to do.

You can connect the ThoughtStream to your computer. Use the included software. This software shows all the changes in the readings both the increase in electrical resistance (relaxation) and decrease in electrical resistance (stress or activation) . It will help you to see a wider range of changes in your body state.

Connect the ThoughtStream to your computer and watch a dramatic or scary television show or movie while recording the biofeedback session. Do not worry about the sound on the ThoughtStream. You can move around while watching as you normally would but be aware that it will change the readings a bit. Just make a note of this when you view the session at the end.

Enjoy the movie and look at the graph of the readings after the movie. You will probably see changes during emotional scenes in the movie. Try to compare the graph to the content of the movie.

Try that test as an experiment. It helps to take the pressure away from changing the reading with your 'thoughts' alone. You can gradually work toward doing this. First build some confidence that the ThoughtStream works.

I can suggest more tests when you are ready. People give up on the ThoughtStream too early. Biofeedback is very important for learning to deeply relax and meditate. I think you can learn how the ThoughtStream works and use it properly.

Best regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by neuroasis; 11-30-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Default Do not change the testimony devices

You should also check the sensitivity setting on the top of the TS. (Page 6 in the manual)
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

4. Default Re: Do not change the testimony devices

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying. But this is (or rather not) on the most sensitive level (8) I just think that my hands are too dry and does not provide proper contact with sensors

5. Default Re: Do not change the testimony devices

I wanted to know what other places on the body of the sensor can be placed? I just think my hands are very dry - my hands never sweat. With regard to software applications to Thoughtstream - the graph is only a straight line almost no changes. I'm somewhere in the forum read that you can use moisturizing gel - but will then readings correct?

Blog Entries

You can put the sensor on your wrist or around your fingers. I prefer it on my wrist. You could try it on one of your feet. I haven't tried that but it should work, maybe better, feet sweat a lot.

In the software are you getting constant changes on the Probe reading? If so, then the data is being transmitted.

I don't suggest using moisturizer. You could try a conductive gel like Parker Labs Tensive.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

7. Default Re: Do not change the testimony devices

When I placed the sensor on the wrist I do not have a signal from the sensor. I just think that, nevertheless, my device is faulty - in the sense that the outside calibration sensitivity - and even if the panel is shown that it is the most sensitive level 8 in fact it is not so? How can I check it?

Blog Entries

The software will tell the real story. Most of the time when people think that the ThoughtStream is not working it is because the resistance of their skin is decreasing (stress/activation) The onboard display does not show this but the software does. After 5 minutes of no downward movement the ThoughtStream will re-calibrate, unless a significant downward trend from the baseline has already occurred.

Look at the Data box in the software, if it is constantly changing then the ThoughtStream is working. Even though, your reading might be relatively stable. You can also change the Sensitivity level in the software under Session menu as well as Jitter Reduction and Filter Size. Adjusting these will show more detailed readings.

9. Default Re: Do not change the testimony devices

Thanks for the reply. Today my ThoughtStream earned as needed - I put sensors and waited 10 -15 minutes then turn ThoughtStream and he began to testify. I began to relax and began to lighten scale, reaching half of the green area for 3-4 minutes then suddenly the phone rang and 5 seconds scale became completely red. Of course I thought that everything should work at once, but 10 minute wait for me too. Thank you for a wonderful instrument. I would also ask whether it is possible as an option (in addition to securing relaxation skills) to use the device as a lie detector or example to find the winning numbers in the lottery?

Blog Entries

Glad you have it working. The Thoughtstream is not always an immediate gratification device and does take some effort on the part of the user to be effective.

One of the most interesting uses of a biofeedback instrument is to use it as a subconscious communication device using the ideomotor effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_phenomenon . Lie detectors use GSR response as one measure but sophisticated ones factor in other readings as well.

Now for one to use a biofeedback device to influence 'chance' decisions you have to assume many things in your worldview. One assumption is that you can either divine or influence a remote future event. Another is that the biofeedback device would give readings that assist this skill or at least let a person know when the conditions are right to be successful. So it depends on what you believe the subconscious is capable of and what kind of 'conversation' you have with it.

I would suspect that if this is a skill that can be acquired then the lottery would not exist, or we would see certain people winning again and again. However, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try and who knows?

Maybe start with something smaller and more tangible.

Thread Information