Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

Sansa Clip Zip is a neat little player. Here is a refurbished one: SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB MP3 Player SDMX22-004G-A57K (Black) - Manufacturer Refurbished
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

2. Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

Actually no (seriously), but I've just had a brainwave. I've got a netbook, and it can be operated via battery. I've just dug it up, from my various boxes of clutter, and put it on charge. The battery is as flat as a pancake, so it might not be till tomorrow that I can try it out, but I'll test it first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks!

EDIT. Yes SanDisk are a good brand. If my netbook fails to perform properly, I might get that, as I really don't have any battery powered CD player.

Blog Entries

I'm expecting that the problem may be noise coming from the soundcard, which we can solve, but I want to be sure the issue isn't with the audio patch cable first.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Blog Entries

One thing you can do to but you have to install the Procyon software (which you have to do for Synchromuse and transferring sessions anyway).. Under the Utilities menu in the editor is an item Set AudioStrobe Colors and Balance. This lets you set the analog noise floor and will probably help you to eliminate the spurious signals. This setting is saved to Procyon so it might need to be adjusted again if you switch to a different player.

Screen shot 2014-11-21 at 1.18.45 PM.png
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProcyonUser View Post
    Actually no (seriously), but I've just had a brainwave. I've got a netbook, and it can be operated via battery. I've just dug it up, from my various boxes of clutter, and put it on charge. The battery is as flat as a pancake, so it might not be till tomorrow that I can try it out, but I'll test it first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks!
    The audio from the Netbook may be noisy as well, but please give it a try before buying anything extra. Unless of course you want to get a portable player anyway... It would come in handy if you want to roam around with your Procyon away from your computer.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

6. Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

Thanks a lot. While waiting for the netbook's battery to charge, I installed the driver & editor to my W7 PC, and played around with the Gain & Noise Floor values in the editor's utilities section. I didn't know what I was doing, so I just randomly moved sliders this way and that, and eventually managed to get the frames to stop flickering lights when no sound was playing, and then when I pressed play on the Windows Media PC application for a downloaded AudioStrobe track, the frames' lights came on.

One effect I enjoyed was to then switch the Procyon's mode back to Session mode, and play one of its built in tracks (001), but leave the AudioStrobe music playing "in the background". I guess this "layered effect" could be done using any music track, and not necessarily an AudioStrobe one.

I wonder - does the Kasina make this whole process easier? For instance, can you buy a CD (such as an AudioStrobe CD), then "rip it" using your PC, and then download this ripped album to the Kasina, and then play it in AS mode? If you can, I'm tempted to send the Procyon back to Amazon, and simply upgrade it to the Kasina.

Also, does the Kasina offer any other features/benefits that are considered to be better than that of the Procyon's, such as general sound and light quality, etc?

7. Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

Sorry, I've just noticed something else. I could have edited my previous post, but didn't want the following observation to go unnoticed: with the AudioStrobe PC music now stopped, I can hear a constant hum/buzz in the headphones. I can't seem to get rid of it, or even diminish it to any any degree by using the Editor's Utilities settings as mentioned above.

Blog Entries

Here is my "boilerplate" answer when people ask about the Kasina vs Procyon:

The Kasina is the culmination of over 5 years of development, 2 years of design and testing. It is the "soup to nuts" solution for the avs enthusiast. It is MindPlaces' flagship product and the leader in it's field, at any price.

The main differences between the Procyon and Kasina are:
    - Windows and Mac compatibility
    - Music playback from integrated micro-SD card
    - Expandable, unlimited storage through the use of micro-SD cards
    - Rechargable battery, chargable via USB
    - Very simple add/delete sessions and OS update procedure (drag and drop)
    - 6-channel Ganzframes (Red/Green/Blue x 2 (Left and Right))
    - Spectrastrobe encoding as a 6-channel format - big improvement over AudioStrobe
    - Easy to use free KBS editor available for Windows and Mac
    - 3rd party editors available
    - In-Ear style headphones
    - Colour screen with much more information
    - Very simple to use with simple control pad and graphical screen
    - Modern styling and packaging
    - Works as USB audio device for playback of music or sessions via PC

Please have a look at some of our customer reviews on Amazon to see what others are saying about the product.
    -Andy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProcyonUser View Post
    Sorry, I've just noticed something else. I could have edited my previous post, but didn't want the following observation to go unnoticed: with the AudioStrobe PC music now stopped, I can hear a constant hum/buzz in the headphones. I can't seem to get rid of it, or even diminish it to any any degree by using the Editor's Utilities settings as mentioned above.
    You have a cable or groundloop issue, as I suspected.
    I'd like to verify that the cable is ok by running audio from your battery-powered netbook. If that is ok, I will help you solve the ground-loop issue on your desktop PC.
    -Andy.

Blog Entries

It's good to hear you got a suitable level. You should really only have to adjust the 'Set Analog Noise Floor' slider. The others set the brightness of the 2 AudioStrobe channels relative to each other. As you see you can set the AudioStrobe colors to other combinations than Red and Green. The gain sliders are useful if you use Red and Blue for instance which has very different perceived brightness levels in closed eyes.

The Kasina does make the process a lot easier. MP3 files (just music for the ColorOrgan), AudioStrobe, or SpectraStrobe (unique to the Kasina and all light colors controlled not just 2 like in AudioStrobe), all these formats can play from the internal SD card. So, it is a simple MP3 session player. Transferring files to the Kasina is really easy to as it mounts an external disc on your computer. Audio playback from a computer is higher quality as well because the Kasina acts as a USB Audio device and the audio is digital. No level troubles or noise. The Kasina does have an AUX jack like the Procyon if for some reason you needed to go that route.

AudioStrobe on the Kasina is very advanced as you can control the light colors and the way the lights are mapped in realtime.

The Kasina has an LCD interface with the names of the sessions organized in folders. It has a rechargeable battery and as mentioned large internal storage on an 8GB SD card.

So yeah, it is more modern and easier to use. The Procyon is still a nifty device but most first time users given the option would fare better with the Kasina.

Hope this helps,
    Scott

Thread Information