Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

1. Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

You've both convinced me - I'm sending the Procyon back for an upgrade! I really want the audio from my PC's sound card to be clear, without any hassle/worry over noise issues. And I really like the idea of being able to "layer/mix" an AVS unit's built in sound with all types of music being played on my PC.

Can I go ahead and safely uninstall both the Procyon's driver and editor? I noticed that there is no specific uninstall executable. There is a single entry inside "Programs and Features" (Windows Control Panel) called Procyon AVS.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

Quote Originally Posted by ProcyonUser View Post
    You've both convinced me - I'm sending the Procyon back for an upgrade! I really want the audio from my PC's sound card to be clear, without any hassle/worry over noise issues. And I really like the idea of being able to "layer/mix" an AVS unit's built in sound with all types of music being played on my PC.
    Just to be clear, the Kasina will not fix the ground-loop or noise issue with your computer. It will however allow you to load the tracks onto the Kasina so you don't need to connect your computer to the Kasina to play tracks. Any audio device, while connected to your PC, may have issues. I would be happy to help you to resolve that problem, though.

Can I go ahead and safely uninstall both the Procyon's driver and editor? I noticed that there is no specific uninstall executable. There is a single entry inside "Programs and Features" (Windows Control Panel) called Procyon AVS.
    That is the way to uninstall it. Go ahead.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Just to be clear, the Kasina will not fix the ground-loop or noise issue with your computer. It will however allow you to load the tracks onto the Kasina so you don't need to connect your computer to the Kasina to play tracks. Any audio device, while connected to your PC, may have issues. I would be happy to help you to resolve that problem, though.
    I see. neuroasis mentioned that

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    MP3 files (just music for the ColorOrgan), AudioStrobe, or SpectraStrobe (unique to the Kasina and all light colors controlled not just 2 like in AudioStrobe), all these formats can play from the internal SD card.
    Does this mean that the only non AS/SS files I can load in to Kasina are MP3 ColorOrgan files? I was really hoping to be able to listen to any type of music using the Kasina (either in conjunction with a PC, or "standalone") in CD/lossless quality, without any risk of experiencing noise issues.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    The Kasina does make the process a lot easier. MP3 files (just music for the ColorOrgan), AudioStrobe, or SpectraStrobe (unique to the Kasina and all light colors controlled not just 2 like in AudioStrobe), all these formats can play from the internal SD card. So, it is a simple MP3 session player. Transferring files to the Kasina is really easy to as it mounts an external disc on your computer. Audio playback from a computer is higher quality as well because the Kasina acts as a USB Audio device and the audio is digital. No level troubles or noise. The Kasina does have an AUX jack like the Procyon if for some reason you needed to go that route.
    Does this mean that the only non AS/SS files I can load in to Kasina are MP3 ColorOrgan files? I was really hoping to be able to listen to any type of music using the Kasina (either in conjunction with a PC, or "standalone") in CD/lossless quality, without any risk of experiencing noise issues.
    Any MP3 or WAV files can be played from the microSD card on the Kasina. (WAV is uncompressed)
    From your computer, via the USB or Aux input you can play any format your computer supports, but as I say, we'll need to sort out the ground-loop or interference issue you're having with your computer to get you clean audio. You SHOULD be ok if you're using USB audio from your computer, as I haven't heard of anyone having problems when using the Kasina that way. It's digital to digital transfer and doesn't use your audio soundcard.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

5. Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Any MP3 or WAV files can be played from the microSD card on the Kasina. (WAV is uncompressed)
    From your computer, via the USB or Aux input you can play any format your computer supports, but as I say, we'll need to sort out the ground-loop or interference issue you're having with your computer to get you clean audio. You SHOULD be ok if you're using USB audio from your computer, as I haven't heard of anyone having problems when using the Kasina that way. It's digital to digital transfer and doesn't use your audio soundcard.
    That's all good to know - thanks. Hehe, I just noticed your little edit there, with the extra bit of "good news" at the end!

BTW, when using a PC with USB audio, is it possible to "stream/pipe" audio from internet sites like YouTube to the Kasina? Or would this require the AUX connection? (If it did require AUX, then yes I would really want to clear up the "noisy sound card".)

Do you have any general/generic tips on how to clear up sound card noise that I could try please? Thanks a lot.

Blog Entries

Right, as Andy said you can load WAV files. High bitrate MP3s (256kbps - 320kbps) which we use for the internal sessions are for the most part indistinguishable from uncompressed. But you do have the option of completely uncompressed with WAV. The ColorOrgan will trigger the lights based on the beat of any audio file, internal or external.

You can use Programs and Files to uninstall the editor. You might want to check afterwards in the Device Manager and see if the SiLabs Driver is still present and uninstall it too.

Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

That's all good to know - thanks. Hehe, I just noticed your little edit there, with the extra bit of "good news" at the end!

BTW, when using a PC with USB audio, is it possible to "stream/pipe" audio from internet sites like YouTube to the Kasina? Or would this require the AUX connection? (If it did require AUX, then yes I would really want to clear up the "noisy sound card".)

Do you have any general/generic tips on how to clear up sound card noise that I could try please? Thanks a lot.
    Yes, you can play any audio source that you can hear on your computer by selecting the Kasina as your sound output device in the Sound control panel in Windows.

A ground loop isolator like this: PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5-mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator should clean it up. Andy might have other suggestions. As mentioned there is no reason that USB audio should have any noise unless your computer power supply is unstable or radiating. If there are problems then a USB cable with a ferrite filter will help.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

8. Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

Thanks a lot! It sounds to me (no pun intended) that if I stream/pipe music from my PC's sound card to the Kasina using a USB cable, then the likelihood of getting unwanted noise/interference is at least low. Consequently, from my understanding of the situation thus far, I needn't be concerned about obtaining noise isolating equipment just yet. Granted, if this turns out not to be the case, and I get noise problems using a USB cable when "music streaming" to the Kasina, then certainly this situation needs to be reexamined.

Incidentally, my PC's PSUnit is a fairly good one, and not too old. My PC is positioned next to a radiator though - I wonder if that can cause problems? I may move it soon, to see if that makes a difference. Also, as luck would have it, I do actually have a ferrite "clip on" gadget that you can clip around any cable, to help reduce "noise" in cabling. I'll see if I can find it..

Blog Entries

Let's cross that bridge when we come to it. You will probably have no issues.

Thread Information