Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

1. Default How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

I've just bought a Procyon, and wondered how I can quickly test both the AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse features? I can see AudioStrobe CDs on Amazon, but I can't see any SynchroMuse CDs. Is it possible for me to simply play a short test example off the internet on my PC, using the AUX connector connected to the Procyon, with the other end of the cable connected to my PC's sound card?

When I select the dAS and AS modes on my Procyon, what happens next? Do I press the play button on the Procyon, or will the Procyon simply start working in those particular modes as soon as those modes are selected?

In order to use either the AudioStrobe or SynchroMuse features, do I need to download any driver and/or software and/or editor for my PC beforehand, or will the Procyon work in either of those two modes as soon as it detects sound coming through the AUX connector cable, without the prior use of "PC software initialization"?

Thanks very much for any help on these matters! It would be most appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

Hello and Welcome!

Here is a link to a Synchromuse track and discussion which should help get you started.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

If I select the AS mode on the Procyon, then the frames immediately light up with two top flickering green lights, and one lower flickering red light. If I connect the Procyon's AUX socket to my PC's sound card using a standard audio cable, and then play some of the following tracks on mindplace's soundcloud account:

https://soundcloud.com/mindplace

, then nothing happens. The lights on the frames stay the same - that is they remain two flickering green lights and one flickering red light.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Or is my unit defective? Thanks a lot.

Blog Entries

It sounds like you might have noise on the audio line.
    If you disconnect everything from the Procyon (including audio cables and USB cables) but leave the Ganzframes connected, do you still see the Ganzframes lighting up when you choose AS mode?
    Does everything work properly in the Pxx mode? (xx is some number)
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Blog Entries

Here is some free AudioStrobe sessions: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...Your-Enjoyment

For AudioStrobe you only have to put the Procyon in aS mode. AudioStrobe is sensitive to the level of the sound so you will want to set your audio player as high as possible before you start to get false triggers. False triggers show up as low level light flashes when there is no audio playing. Back off your volume until these go away. For some laptops, the false triggering will never go away, especially if you are running off a wall outlet. If you have this issue then you can buy a 3.5mm ground loop filter at Radio Shack or an electronics store.

Synchromuse is a trigger technology. The Procyon needs to be in dL2 or dAS mode. You have to select the mode manually. In dL2 mode you can stop the session before it ends. In dAS mode you cannot stop it without turning off the Procyon.

A short burst of sound at the beginning of the audio file selects a session that is loaded on your Procyon. Think of it like an automatic session navigator. So for it to work you must have a matching session loaded to your Procyon that corresponds to the header information contained in the Synchromuse trigger. It can be located in any memory slot on the Procyon. So to load a Synchromuse session you will have to use the editor. Then you can play the matching audio file and it should load. Solar Neighborhood by Esteban is a really great session.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

6. Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

I did exactly as you suggested, and I now do not see the frames light up. I guess that means I have "noise on the audio line". Please can you tell me how I can avoid that? Thanks a lot.

Also, when you say "Pxx mode", unfortunately I don't know what you are referring to. However, I'm guessing you mean when I play one of Procyon's built in sessions, such as when the LED displays the value 001, or 002, etc. When I play 001 for instance, the frames appear to light up correctly.

However, I wonder if you mean playing something using PC mode? I haven't yet downloaded any driver/software/editor for the Procyon. Shall I do that now, in order to test "Pxx mode"?

Thanks a lot.

Blog Entries

You won't be able to stream the files from SoundCloud on the internet by the way. When files are uploaded to SoundCloud they get compressed to 128kbps for streaming and this is too low to preserve the AudioStrobe signals. You will have to download the tracks to get the full quality.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProcyonUser View Post
    I did exactly as you suggested, and I now do not see the frames light up. I guess that means I have "noise on the audio line". Please can you tell me how I can avoid that? Thanks a lot.
    Ok, the Procyon is fine then, you just need to get rid of the extraneous noise on your audio feed.
    We'll need to do this step by step to see where the interference is coming in.
    First, plug the included audio patch cable into the AUX connector on the Procyon, and the other end to the headphone output on a portable music player (like an iPod), running both pieces on battery with no other connections. With it connected this way, and the Procyon in AS mode, do you see anything light up on the Ganzframes? If not, then try plugging your headphones into the Procyon and playing some music on your music player. Do you hear the music through the headphones? Does the music sound clear or is there any hum or interference?
    Let me know and we'll proceed further.

Also, when you say "Pxx mode", unfortunately I don't know what you are referring to. However, I'm guessing you mean when I play one of Procyon's built in sessions, such as when the LED displays the value 001, or 002, etc. When I play 001 for instance, the frames appear to light up correctly.
    Sorry, the "xx" (should really be "xxx") is a number like 001, 002, etc. P is the "Preset" or "Program" mode where the Procyon plays internal sessions. The display will show something like P001 or P002 or some other number after "P".
    -Andy.

9. Default Re: How do I test AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse?

Thanks very much for everyone's help. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to buy a portable music player that runs off batteries. The only "audio capable machine" that I have at the moment is my desktop PC, with its sound card.

Because I'll only be using a battery powered portable music player to continue with this step by step testing process, can someone please recommend a cheap device that I can purchase quickly from Amazon? (An Apple iPod would be too costly for me.) Thanks a lot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProcyonUser View Post
    Thanks very much for everyone's help. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to buy a portable music player that runs off batteries. The only "audio capable machine" that I have at the moment is my desktop PC, with its sound card.

Because I'll only be using a battery powered portable music player to continue with this step by step testing process, can someone please recommend a cheap device that I can purchase quickly from Amazon? (An Apple iPod would be too costly for me.) Thanks a lot.
    No need to do that! Do you have a CD player, smartphone, Walkman or anything?
    -Andy.

Thread Information