Thread: Best way to Entrain Theta or Gamma using only visual in the Kasina Editor?

1. Default Best way to Entrain Theta or Gamma using only visual in the Kasina Editor?

I would like to entrain a mix of Theta and Gamma by
    1.) using isochronic tones to entrain Gamma and
    2.) probably visual for the Theta.

Or, vice versa if it turns out that visual is better for Gamma for some reason.

So my question is, using the Kasina Editor, what would be the best way to entrain these frequencies using only the glasses?

My thought is that trying to mix purely audio tones would make it hard to entrain both at the same time, though maybe I am wrong about that. Thus the idea to use audio for one wave target and visual for the other...

2. Default Re: Best way to Entrain Theta or Gamma using only visual in the Kasina Editor?

So I did a basic session, gotta say that the editor is amazing and easy to use. I recommended the Kasina to a number for friends already, and that was *before*using the editor today...

The visual session was really nice and extremely visual, and I waited about 5 minutes before adding in any sound. It was interesting to note that I did not change any of the programming on the video yet when the audio came on I started seeing a different quality to the video. This was the case even thought the audio was coming in from my iPhone, so there could not even have been transient electronic effects that could have conceivably (even if extremely unlikely) have happened if both were generated by the Kasina.

So still interested in any feedback people might have on the relative speed of isochronic audio entrainment vs visual entrainment, etc. In the meantime, pretty happy with my first fledgling attempt at programming the Kasina.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best way to Entrain Theta or Gamma using only visual in the Kasina Editor?

The KBS format at this time only supports the same frequency for light and sound. You could get a half frequency effect by setting the audio to Alternating, ie Phase 50. You could stimulate Beta and Theta for this but not reach all the way up into Gamma. So, if you set the frequency to 14hz, you could set the sound to alternate (phase 50) and leave the light at 14hz (phase 0).

Generally I think it is good practice to have the light as the faster frequency if mixing different entrainment. Faster light frequencies are most aesthetically pleasing than fast sound pulses, which can begin to sound like engines running after a while. This can be circumvented a bit with higher pitches, though those aren't quite as relaxing.

When mixing different frequency bands it is also good if they are ratios of each other. Like what I suggest with the 1:2 frequency ratio of Theta/Beta. If one was to do Theta/Gamma for instance you do a 1:4 ratio like 7hz Theta, 28hz Gamma. However, this would have to be done outside the Kasina Basic Editor at this time.

Thanks for your compliment on the editor. The goal is to make session creation as simple as possible while still having a great deal of power when needed. A new update with vastly expanded features is upcoming really soon.

Hope this helps,
    Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

4. Default Re: Best way to Entrain Theta or Gamma using only visual in the Kasina Editor?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    The KBS format at this time only supports the same frequency for light and sound. You could get a half frequency effect by setting the audio to Alternating, ie Phase 50. You could stimulate Beta and Theta for this but not reach all the way up into Gamma. So, if you set the frequency to 14hz, you could set the sound to alternate (phase 50) and leave the light at 14hz (phase 0).

Generally I think it is good practice to have the light as the faster frequency if mixing different entrainment. Faster light frequencies are most aesthetically pleasing than fast sound pulses, which can begin to sound like engines running after a while. This can be circumvented a bit with higher pitches, though those aren't quite as relaxing.

When mixing different frequency bands it is also good if they are ratios of each other. Like what I suggest with the 1:2 frequency ratio of Theta/Beta. If one was to do Theta/Gamma for instance you do a 1:4 ratio like 7hz Theta, 28hz Gamma. However, this would have to be done outside the Kasina Basic Editor at this time.

Thanks for your compliment on the editor. The goal is to make session creation as simple as possible while still having a great deal of power when needed. A new update with vastly expanded features is upcoming really soon.

Hope this helps,
    Scott
    Thanks for the answer Scott and my apologies for the late reply and reviving such an old thread. I got sidetracked and forgot about this project but have recently become interested in it again :-)

Quick question if you or anyone else knows, is there an upper limit on what the Kasina can be programmed to do in terms of frequency of pulses, or an upper limit on what would be effective in terms of high gamma range pulses?

I wonder about the latter question in terms of the fact that the human eye can only discern so many frames per second before it all looks contiguous...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best way to Entrain Theta or Gamma using only visual in the Kasina Editor?

Kasina KBS format can display pulses up to 65hz. You might want to read this recent thread: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ro-this-device

Here is more information on the Flicker Fusion Threshold: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicker_fusion_threshold

Best,
    Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

6. Default Re: Best way to Entrain Theta or Gamma using only visual in the Kasina Editor?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    Kasina KBS format can display pulses up to 65hz. You might want to read this recent thread: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ro-this-device

Here is more information on the Flicker Fusion Threshold: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicker_fusion_threshold

Best,
    Scott
    Great references, will be looking over them in the coming days, thanks Scott!!

Thread Information