Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kasina - What settings will provide more fractals/mandalas type shapes?

Default Kasina - What settings will provide more fractals/mandalas type shapes?

What settings will provide more fractals/mandalas type shapes?

I've viewed SpectraStrobe, AudioStrobe, and Color Organ, but none of these different settings seem to provide the same types of geometric images that I could view on the Procyon.

If I'm not able to change the settings for more geometric shapes, do you have another set up Ganzframes that I could purchase that would provide more fractals/mandalas for the Kasina?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kasina - What settings will provide more fractals/mandalas type shapes?

The Procyon is very adept at creating these types of patterns. I suspect that the crispness of the square waveform and the ability to adjust its duty cycle has a lot to do with these patterns. With audio type signals in the Kasina, square waveforms are generally smoothed at their edges to prevent little clicks and pops in the audio.

I have spent a great deal of time in the last few months studying color creation, but for the sake of all, let's study together how to create some of these pattern effects.

Would you be willing to experiment with me? Let's start by identifying a Procyon session that creates the patterns that you like. Then using Kasina settings we'll try to reproduce it.

Some of the AudioStrobe titles that we sell produce great geometry too. I'll revisit those and query with the creator (if they are available... many times it was Robert) what some of the settings to produce the audio were.

Generally what I do know is that square waveforms that move from around 10hz to 18hz and climb up and down quickly tend to produce strong patterns. I have some custom MWS waveforms that produce nice patterns too.

However, as I said, a focused study to maximize these effects on Kasina would be of benefit.

I doubt that the Ganzframes make a difference though LEDs do have characteristic rise and fall times. I have all of our different types and can experiment to see if it matters.

Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Default Re: Kasina - What settings will provide more fractals/mandalas type shapes?

My 2 favorites from Procyon are "Meditative Mind 15" and "Kaleidoscopic Mind".

It would be fantastic if all the tracks were recreated for the Kasina and available with the same types of images as the Procyon.

I look forward to testing out the above mentioned versions you create on Kasina!

Thank you in advance. Love your great customer service!
    Last edited by Andy; 02-27-2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Deleted link

Blog Entries

Ok, each one of those sessions has a reasonable number of segments to work with. I notice on Meditative Mind 15 that duty cycle is really only used in the middle and end segments with a square wave. There are a lot of triangular waves in this session.

Almost all of the segments are in that target alpha range I mentioned (actually starting lower at 9hz then going to 12-13hz)

There also is the presence of a trick that Robert likes a lot, which is offset one color, in the case Red, by a small amount, like 0.1hz. So, like in segment 11, Red would start at 13hz and go to 9.1hz, while Green starts at 13hz and goes to 9hz. The pulses start to get slightly out of sync as the segment progresses. This might be one hint.

It also may be so that the contrast between switching waveforms has a big effect too. Like you get used to a certain flow and then when you switch to another substantially different one, then the brain creates patterns from it.

It is a worthy study.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Is it possible that future updates to Kasina will enable it to be backwards compatible with Procyon? As in we could transfer our files from Procyon to Kasina and get the exact same experience?

Or if not transfer the files, provide a simple software converter for audio files that would enable this feature to produce fractals/mandalas?

Also, is there currently a way to slow down images in Kasina?

You mentioned you had some custom MWS waveforms that produce nice patterns too. Are you able to post any of your MWS files to the board that we could check out?

Thank you again!

Blog Entries

Try this mp3 of the Meditative Mind 15 session as SpectraStrobe converted in Mind Workstation.
    I'll post it without comment right now and you can tell me what you think about it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Andy; 01-27-2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Changed link and added file

Wow Scott! Thanks for your quick reply. Talk about amazing customer service!

Just tried out your Meditative Mind 15 session.

This has now become my favorite session so far on Kasina and I've tried all the ones that came with it along with those on Sound Cloud.

The reason being is that the images weren't overpowering or too fast which was great. My mind didn't have trouble letting go whereas other on sessions my monkey mind just keeps going. Not sure if that makes sense.

That said though, I was only viewing a hint of geometric shapes compared to what I'm able to view on the Procyon.

Is there a way to make these images more crisper/involved?

Blog Entries

Here's a remix version with a bit of 'special sauce'. It also has a large amount of what I call the 'crawlies'.

The thing is that each machine is very different, hardware wise and with the parameters available. You have to find the 'soul' of each machine and discover how to bring out the best in it. You can never reproduce the output of any other system exactly. Nor should you expect to. If you want the Procyon experience, then use the Procyon for that...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Andy; 02-27-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Upload replacement file

Thanks Scott... great experience! About 6 minutes into it felt like a lucid can of blue paint exploding into outer space. Or being caught in the middle of a fireworks display. But it was also subtle and not over the top which was great. For a moment, it was like watching Avatar in 3D.

I can definitely see the potential for a more vivid experience in the Kasina.

Guess it's a matter of how much time and effort is put into each frame. You're literally painting a moving picture.

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

An important distinction with SpectraStrobe is that it is audio. So you have a huge range of tools available to process it. For the last few months I have been doing most of my work with Mind Workstation but it is not always the best tool depending on what you are doing. The first session was pretty much a mirror of the settings in the Procyon session as closely as Mind Workstation could reproduce them.
    The second session is a remastered version in an audio editor with the light channels being overdriven by transient processors and very steep filters to remove the harmonics that this process creates. As you can imagine the possibilities are really endless and fertile ground for new techniques.
    Something like the Procyon is limited to only the settings that are provided in the editor. There is no other way to process the session.

I have a long history with different electronic musical instruments so it is natural for me to accept that the output of each machine has a unique character. In different synths you can make the exact same settings in a patch but it still sounds slightly different and has character special to the respective instrument. Not better or worse, maybe more suited for a certain use.

Thread Information