Thread: New Version of English Kasina Manual - October 2014

Blog Entries

Default New Version of English Kasina Manual - October 2014

A revised and expanded version of the Kasina manual in English has been posted to the main support site here: http://mindplacesupport.com/kasina/ .

This will be the new production version, so machines purchased after around December 2014 will include this file and a printed copy of it.

There will be a delay in rendering translations. I will post when we have news for those updates.
    Last edited by Andy; 10-30-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Fixed URL
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Default Re: New Version of English Kasina Manual - October 2014

If it's not too late before the print production, and if you're open to suggested improvements, I have some editorial remarks to this version that I think would improve comprehension and readability.

Let me know.

Blog Entries

What are your suggestions? The deadline is fast approaching but if not too extensive and it clarifies things then we are open.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

OK, here goes (most of these are minor):
    - page 3 item 7 last sentence I think should read, "Note that on the left and right sides of the Kasina there are buttons to control the audio Volume and light Brightness, respectively."
    - page 5, under "Distinguish Between Session Types", first paragraph, I think should have a sentence added at the end, "For your convenience, we have segregated sessions included on the SD card into separate folders by session type, found in the folders AudioStrobe, SpectraStrobe and KBS."
    - page 5, under "Distinguish Between Session Types", second paragraph, I think should read, "AudioStrobe and SpectraStrobe sessions are audio files with light encoding embedded at high frequencies, and either can have ".mp3" or ".wav" file extensions, depending on the audio format. The files that come on the SD card are all ".mp3". For either audio format, the Kasina will determine the file type automatically during playback and indicate the file type being played by displaying "Mode SpectraStr/AS", with the form of encoding not being used in pale gray."
    - page 5, under "Distinguish Between Session Types", if you make the above changes, then you should delete paragraphs 3 and 4.
    - The diagrams on page 28 would be more useful on page 2, IMO, since you make frequent reference to what's on the diagrams in the pages that follow.
    - Page 29, bottom, the encoding of "(colors or type)" and "(pan or fade speed)" is not explained. A list of values and meanings for each would be helpful.

I hope these are helpful to you.

Blog Entries

Updated manual at http://mindplacesupport.com/kasina-support/

Notes:

The section that you are mainly targeting 'Distinguish Between Session Types' was the last section added to the manual in the process of going through many, many revisions. The layout is very space limited to keep important sections flowing from page to page.

Here is what I am settling upon for that section:

Distinguish Between Session Types
    The Kasina supports 3 different session types. They are: AudioStrobe, SpectraStrobe and KBS.
    AudioStrobe and SpectraStrobe sessions are audio files with light encoding embedded at high frequencies. These sessions could have the extensions “.mp3” or “.wav”, depending on the file type. All factory sessions are in MP3 format.
    If you are adding new audio files to the card or playing from an external source, the Kasina will determine the file type automatically during playback. SpectraStrobe will display Mode SpectraStr/AS on the screen. AudioStrobe will display Mode AS/SpectraStr.
    KBS files have the extension “.kbs”. These files are a special mind machine format to control the lights and sound on the Kasina. They use very little space on the microSD card. KBS sessions can only be played from the card and not from an external source.
    For easy identification, we have separated the sessions on the SD card by session type into folders named: AudioStrobe, SpectraStrobe and KBS. However, you can create your own folders and place sessions you add to the card organized as you wish.

There are some formatting changes with the bold and regular fonts to make the display screen references clearer. Mode SpectraStr/AS and Mode AS/SpectraStr are the actual labels when one or the other are present.

Otherwise:
    Item 1: accepted
    Items 2-4: see above
    Item 5: accepted
    Item 6: change to ColorSets table header to make clear the relationship between the naming conventions and the ColorSet type.

That's all folks. We have gone through a large amount of changes to get to this point as we are all a bit on the OCD side. The manual, especially the digital version will continue to evolve as the Kasina firmware evolves. Going forward we will consider incorporating changes in the digital version first and then by the time of a new print run we will have a definitive set of reviewed changes.

All input is appreciated and considered.

Best,
    Scott

Thread Information