Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combining excerpts of several sessions

Blog Entries

Default Re: Combining excerpts of several sessions

Still as mentioned the only way that this or any software can trim without recompressing is by manipulating the header values and truncating the file. We have not tested against this internally. But I suppose we should.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

According to the wikipedia entry on this software it is manipulating the headers and frames to make the changes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3DirectCut
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Also this from that Wikipedia entry:
    Gains and fades are limited to 1.5 dB steps, as they are achieved by modifying the value of the MP3 frame's 8-bit global gain field.

I suspect this is putting in spurious values as far as Kasina is concerned. Or there is a checksum mismatch.

Here is one edited session that would not play...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Andy is of course correct when he says that repeated conversions between MP3 and lossless formats like WAV will tend to degrade the signal quality over time. But a single cycle might not matter much: I recently encoded some MP3s with SS for a customer, and used Audacity to convert to WAV before importing to Mind Workstation. When finished I could not hear any noticeable degradation of the audio signal in the final MP3. I did notice though that if I allowed the SS signal to continue past the end of the audio track, then faded that signal out, the lights did not accordingly fade, but instead the Kasina lost the ability to track those signals and the lights actually grew brighter and stopped flashing. Fading the brightness in MWS works like a charm, as expected. Aside from the header and other issues arising from directly editing the MP3, as mentioned by Andy and Scott, fading in and out a section of the SS encoded files will likely introduce this sort of visual glitch at the boundaries between excerpts...

-Robert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nirmala View Post
    Here is one edited session that would not play...
    This track plays on my Kasina. Do you have the latest firmware on your Kasina?
    1.10 is the version available on the support site.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    This track plays on my Kasina. Do you have the latest firmware on your Kasina?
    1.10 is the version available on the support site.
    I am busy the next several days, but I will check into this next week. And I will double check the file on my Kasina....maybe the file just got corrupted when I was loading it onto the SD card, but there were 2 other files that would not play also.

Blog Entries

Ok, my first guess is that you have the original firmware on there and updating to 1.10 will fix the problem.

Let me know what you find.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information