Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kasina Firmware Update 1.11 - August 2014

Blog Entries

Cool Kasina Firmware Update 1.11 - August 2014

Download here: http://mindplacesupport.com/kasina-support

Kasina Firmware Version 1.11 - August 2014

Two Level Fast Forward
    The time it takes to fast forward through audio files on the Kasina SD has been improved. Fast forward speed starts at 11x normal playback speed when you press the right button on the Control Pad. After holding the right button for 3 seconds the fast forward speed will increase to 33x normal playback speed.
    Note that the actual fast forward speed is limited by the SD card interface and the audio file type. Wave files will fast forward at the full speeds as listed above. Mp3 files may be a bit slower overall and more so as the bit rate of the compressed audio file is increased.

New Audio Mixer
    An audio mixer screen has been added to make it easier to adjust various playback volume levels. You can set volumes of the “audio components” within the mixer screen and change the relative levels that you hear.
    The mixer is available in Settings - Audio. You can also access it from anywhere in the interface besides the Settings screen and the File Browser.
    To access it this way, press the Volume (+) and Volume (-) buttons together. The Settings - Audio screen will appear while your session continues to play back. You can adjust the volume and other audio settings even while the file is playing. Press the left button on the Control Pad to exit the Audio Mixer screen.

The following settings are available:
    • AUX Volume
    • KBS Volume
    • INT Volume
    • USB Volume
    • Balance
    • Max. Volume
    • Filter 15khz

After selecting the audio component volume to change, use the up and down Control Pad buttons to set the audio volume. Press the middle button on the Control Pad to save the setting and return to the mixer screen.

AUX Volume - range 0 – 10, default 7
    This setting controls the level of audio sources connected through the AUX (auxiliary) jack on the top of the Kasina. These settings control the level of the AUX source in relation to other audio on the Kasina. You will still want to set the volume levels on your external device for the best headroom.

Adjust with the up and down buttons on the Control Pad. Press the middle button to save the setting.

Note: If you have made adjustments and later find that the volume of the external source plugged into the AUX jack is too low, then check this setting. This setting is remembered when powering off the Kasina.

KBS Volume - range 0 - 10, default 10
    This setting controls the level of the sine wave tone during KBS file playback. It balances the KBS audio with the volume of the source playing through the AUX jack. This allows you to achieve an optimal mix between these elements. Note that the volume level programmed in the KBS still applies and this setting scales it in relation to that.

Adjust with the up and down buttons on the Control Pad. Press the middle button to save the setting.

Note: If you have made adjustments and later find that the volume of the sine wave tone in KBS files is too low, then check this setting. This setting is remembered when powering off the Kasina.

INT Volume - range 0 - 10, default 10
    This controls the level of the audio files on the SD card (AudioStrobe, SpectraStrobe and music files). In practice it is used to balance the volume level of these sources with an external audio source plugged into the AUX jack.

Note: If you have made adjustments and later find that the volume of the internal audio for SpectraStrobe, AudioStrobe or music tracks is too low, then check this setting. This setting is remembered when powering off the Kasina.

USB Volume - range 0 - 10, default 10
    This setting controls the internal level of a USB audio source playing back from your computer in USB Audio mode. You will still want to set the volume levels on your computer for the best headroom.

Note: If you have made adjustments and later find that the volume of external USB Audio is too low, then check this setting. This setting is remembered when powering off the Kasina.

Balance range Left 9 - Right 9, default 0
    This setting adjusts the balance between the left and right audio channels coming out the headphones. It increases the volume of one side relative to the other.

This setting is remembered when powering off the Kasina.

Max. Volume – range 0 - 52, default 27
    The Max Volume is preset to a safe hearing level as required by regulations in some countries. This value is the highest volume that will be displayed/allowed on the volume indicator. It controls the absolute maximum volume for all audio on the Kasina.

Filter 15khz
    When turned on, all Kasina audio is low pass filtered before the headphone jack at 15kHz which attenuates the output level of signals above 15kHz. This insures the inaudibility of SpectraStrobe and AudioStrobe signals during playback.

KBS Player - New Modulation Options
    Playing KBS files now allows 3 types of modulation which can be selected by the up button on the Control Pad. The settings are only available while playing back KBS files from the SD card and in cases involving AUX, only apply when an external audio device (mp3 player, smartphone, etc) is connected to the AUX jack on the top of the Kasina. These modes are displayed as follows:

1. Mod KBS (original) – the original mode where modulation applies only to the sine tone produced by KBS player as programmed in the session. External audio from AUX input is not modulated, just added to the modulated sine tone from KBS player. Use the audio mixer to adjust the volume balance between these sources.

2. Mod AUX (new) – the audio modulation programmed in the currently playing KBS file applies to external audio from AUX input. It uses Amplitude Modulation to create programmed pulses in the audio stream. The sine tone from KBS is not present on audio output.

3. Mod KBS+AUX (new) – both sine tone from KBS player and external audio from AUX are modulated and present together on the sound output. Use the audio mixer to adjust the volume balance between these sources.

Download here: http://mindplacesupport.com/kasina-support
    Last edited by neuroasis; 08-02-2014 at 08:19 AM.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kasina Firmware Update 1.11 - August 2014

A new editor version to support these features is upcoming. Will give details of the many changes at that time. Everything will be documented in more depth then.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Scott,

While it is always nice to see free firmware updates I don't see any significant improvements for my use. I would much rather see improvements in the mp3 player capabilities, the ability to select different spectrastrobe options like you can with audiostrobe, and the ability to import procyon and proteus sessions. A Manual mode like the older Sirius and proteus l/s machines would also be very useful imho.

I do not think that it is unreasonable to expect the kasina to have good mp3 player abilities. Even a good $50 mp3 player gives you way more options like loopback/repeats (which could be very useful for some of the very short spectrastrobe sessions included on the Kasina). Sound equalizer options would also be very useful. This update seems to imply that you will be better able to port some things better using aux but I would rather just do this with one device (esp, since the kasina is pretty big to begin with). This was the main advantage that I thought the kasina offered. Also, some np3 exported mp3 sessions sound a lot better balanced (sounds/entrainment) on my $50 mp3 player than they do on my kasina. An option to balance the volumes between sounds/music and entrainment beats would also be very useful imho.

The kasina 3 channel spectrastrobe seems to have a lot more potential than the older 2 channel audiostrobe but at this point in time I do not see much advantage. I actually prefer audiostrobe sessions (created via NP3) than spectrastrobe ones since you have the ability to select a wide variety of AS light effects. I think it would be better to be able to also do this with spectrastrobe sessions rather than having to adjust np3 sessions beforehand, prior to exporting them. This gives the user the ability to fine-tune the lights like they can with AS.

Older Mindplace l/s machines like Sirius, proteus, and procyon have always come with very good sessions. I have got a lot of benefits from these. While it is nice to see that the Sirius sessions have been included, the Kasina does not give you the ability to change audio freq's (hi-lo pitch). The manual mode of the Sirius and proteus are very useful and should be included in the kasina imho. These additions would allow me to retire my older mindplace l/s machines.

Scott, please do not take this as criticism of the Kasina, just a few things that I think could make it even better. Many thanks for your efforts to make the kasina as good as it currently is.

Ultimately, I envision the kasina to be a simply operated smartphone app that uses an output adapter to operate the lights and/or screen. Priced at ~$10 for the app and ~$50 for the optional light glasses and interface I bet you'd sell a zillion of these, lol!

Cheers,
    TomC
    Last edited by Andy; 11-21-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: FW name change to 1.11

Blog Entries

Tom, microcontrollers have very limited amounts of memory and you have to partition and manage that across the tasks that are happening in realtime and what has to have priority. On a mind machine the priority is ultra precise microsecond and millisecond timed pulses. And on the Kasina, precision digitizing and filtering of audio streams. On everything you do there is some tradeoff. Mind machines are really closer to say a synthesizer than they are to a consumer MP3 player.

On something like an MP3 player many of the core routines are hardcoded in silicon chips, often proprietary to huge manufacturing companies. Mind machines cost a lot not because the company is getting rich but because the company produces relatively small quantities in a 'boutique' manufacturing chain.

We have all gotten spoiled by giant corporations pushing out consumer products and hiding their true cost in 'add on' services like service contracts or app sales. Plus frankly huge government subsidies and tax shelters. That is not what MindPlace is or likely ever will be. Apples have to be compared with apples...

You will just have to bear with the order of feature releases as everything has a roadmap and a plan to it where certain things need to be done so other things can be done. And some things are easier to implement than others. At the same time we have to make revenues to pay for development costs.

Also, AudioStrobe and SpectraStrobe are different in how you would map to them. AS is just two channels which can be looked at as left and right, so you can map to that easier. SpectraStrobe is 6 channels. And really AudioStrobe and SpectraStrobe are 'distribution' mediums. Each one is intended as a 'final' product. Also, really they are interfaces to external software that is more readily available and not in a proprietary format.

AudioStrobe was never a color effects system as such. It was a way to deliver entrainment pulses. MindPlace expanded it somewhat beyond that original intention by mapping left and right channels to 'colors' starting with the Proteus. The original designer never intended this but slowly it grew to be the new standard way it was done. So, again, remapping is a natural extension of that.

AudioStrobe at least for something embedded in audio will for the near future be the focus of the remapping.

SpectraStrobe is already a full fidelity system and the session designer considers color in their choices. It makes little sense to try to remap that even if you could. A session format like KBS is more desirable for that. But once again, we don't expect Transparent to rewrite huge parts of their software to support our standards, if it doesn't have a larger business and research interest like SpectraStrobe does. SpectraStrobe is the ultimate biosensor display.

We could maybe just remap the green channel of SpectraStrobe like it was AudioStrobe by separating out the AS/SS sensing (which is automatic now) and allowing SS to be read as AS, at least that one channel. Like now you can take a SS file and play it into the Proteus for instance and the Proteus will display the frequencies in the green channel. This band is the same as AS. Still you would be limiting the designer's choices.

I think you are maybe overlooking the Audio Mixer?

I don't understand what you are referring to with mp3 music vs. entrainment balance? Are you talking about sound perception? (fidelity) When the entrainment is embedded in audio the sound should be comparable. If you want to send me a sound file then I can test it. Now if you mean sound mixed with onboard KBS entrainment, then the audio mixer in the update addresses that. Or if you mean piping in entrainment tones from software and overlaying onboard music, then again the audio mixer adjust the balance.

Also I don't understand the hi/lo freq statement. You mean the realtime pitch mode of the Proteus? KBS lets you set the audio pitch to what you want. With that easy creation is there some reason you would want to change it in realtime? Again the editor will soon be significantly expanded.

Whatever thoughts and comments you have are appreciated and considered. I try to always address these as directly as possible, and if the request or suggestion is not possible, or not likely, or contrary to the product intent, then I try to share that too.

Blog Entries

I want to address your statement about 'retiring' your older machines. Why would you want to do that? It hints to me that you think of mind machines as appliances. That is fine, nothing wrong with that.

I have to say though that we think of them more like instruments, more in the realm of a synthesizer. Each one has a unique feature set and particular focus that makes it stand alone among the entire history of mind machines. MindPlace is a driver and leader in AVS technology. It has been this way with Robert since the very beginning. He is a legend. MindPlace is not a widget maker.

True AVS lovers and hobbyists can own each one of our machines and know that it is a special piece of technology. It has its own quirks, tricks, effects and settings.

We never seek to duplicate or replace. We evolve the technology, building on what came before. Yet creating an entirely new resident in the entrainment ecosystem.

Once again, I respect your opinion, but I like to provide a clearer picture.

Thanks for you response(s) Scott. I am now a little more aware of the limitations of the Kasina. I will just have to accept these for now and/or try to work around them.

Cheers,
    TomC

Blog Entries

Ok, that is if the limitations are not just in perception or a lack in our documents or me explaining things correctly.

At this time I feel that the intention and mechanisms of the formats SS and AS are different than what you seem to want them to be. That is why we have the digital formats for sessions like KBS. I assure you, KBS is actively growing. You would be amazed from a technical standpoint how clean and workable it is compared to the formats in Proteus and Procyon.

Also, some things that seem obvious or easy are actually not at all. For instance, do you know that it is almost impossible to seamlessly loop an mp3 file? The very nature of the format and the way it compresses, writes and calculates frames, make looping without silence very, very hard to do. The files have to massaged to a certain number of samples, the point at which the header ends and program content begins has to be mapped... suffice it to say, very specialized processing by the user and very hard. Look it up on google if you have doubt.

Wav looping, no problem. Wav size? Problem. This is one example.

I think it is necessary to explain things whenever people have questions, so we can have informed users. I don't mind at all having the discussion.

Blog Entries

On MP3 player capabilities: During development and prior to release, internally, we had many discussions and debates about how the player should function and what its abilities would be. At the first stages you are always blue sky dreaming of what in an ideal situation you would like to do. Then as the implementation progresses reality bites and you start to pare things down and make the needed revisions.

What was clear was that the priority was not to make an iPod. The iPod is already made and it is really good. Personally, for my money the Sansa Clip Zip running RockBox beats it hands down for my use... but anyway.

The Kasina is like all of our other mind machines. At its basic level, it is a session player. It just so happens that the sessions are embedded in audio files in a lot of cases. Now, these sessions are generally preconceived to play for the length of a meditation. So something like shuffling or random playlists or whatever is not a high priority. And really neither is looping, looping sessions that is. I would like to see looping small bits of audio seamlessly and then modulating that... which this firmware starts that process, although from an external source.

However, the playlist function of playing a whole folder is really important as I see it. For instance, it is probably not really clear at the moment as we haven't pushed out tutorials and such that mention it, but you can put KBS files, AudioStrobe files, and SpectraStrobe files in the same folder and they will play one after the other.

Each will take on the settings that you have made. Really the way the interface is setup you could have a plain music file for the Color Organ in the folder too if you wanted.

So, the shorter files are intended as mid session content with bumpers on the beginning and end. Like you would do Biomarkers, then Soliton for instance, and maybe then a designed ramp up session at the end. All you do is duplicate and move these sessions into a user folder like My Protocol or something. This is one of the main things that the new editor version will handle. Organizing the content this way.

I understand that it is a natural usage that people treat the Kasina like an MP3 player and move all of their AS content on it as a library, which is then available at their whim. This is understandable. It is what makes a person start to think of the Kasina like an iPod though.

The more accurate perspective is that the Kasina is a multi-format session player, and each session type has unique capabilities from the interface. you can mix and match these sessions, and organizing them is as easy as creating a new folder and duplicating the content you want there. Sure it wastes a little memory card space but these are changing work folders, like on your computer.

The missing element to tie it all together is matching audio playback with simultaneous KBS playback. This is high priority.

Do not overlook how cool it is to add the AUX into the mix and modulate that. This feature has never appeared on any other mind machine except for the the Mind's Eye, the ancestor of this function. Then you get all the magic of your iOS and Android devices with their software and functions.

All of this is a progression for which the overall vision will soon become more clear.

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss it.

All good info Scott. Thanks for sharing all this. Since it is advertised that the Kasina has a mp3 player I think that many of us assumed it would include most functions that any inexpensive mp3 player would have. I have already done some of the things you have mentioned like copying a lot of my music files into a colour organ directory. I've also copied in all my AS titles into the audiostrobe directory. This all works pretty well but since you cannot change things like a sound equalizer nor even treble/bass, the music sounds pretty ordinary. Maybe the Kasina advertising need to spell out more clearly (like you have now done) that the included mp3 player has limited functionality mainly aimed at the optimal playback of Kasina avs sessions.

Blog Entries

I mean you can put a set of these files together in one folder. Like a SS, then a KBS, then a AS, then music... etc. And they will play back to back using the features of each. You can mix and match formats in a playlist. One type for an intro, another for a mid section, another for an end. I hope that I am not explaining again what you already understand, but this has a lot of possibilities.

Thread Information