Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem updating FW on Kasina

1. Cool Problem updating FW on Kasina

I was attempting to update the firmware and I followed the instructions posted on your site. I held down the middle button (the center one) while Kasina was off and turned it back on. All it did was turning on the regular 4-panel screen. If I keep holding the power button it shuts off again.

I tried this with both Mac and windows with no success. What am I doing wrong? Also my Kasina looks a little different from what's in your diagram. It looks like you have 3 circles and mine only has 2 (an outer and inner button).

I did connect my Kasina to my computer through the USB cable that shipped with the unit. Could there be something wrong with the cable?

2. Default Re: Problem updating FW on Kasina

One more thing I want to mention, the cable I received does't completely insert into the Kasina port. I haven't had a problem charging it through the wall charger which is what I have been doing. However, I just noticed that it is not charging when I connect the cable to my computer.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problem updating FW on Kasina

If it is charging with the wall adapter then that says the cable should be fine. Are you plugging into a hub or directly into the computer? Does the Kasina SD 'drive' show up on your computer? If so, then it is loading ok and the cable is verified to work. If not, then is it a problem with the USB port or hub? Try another port.

Otherwise, the firmware update screen does require a USB connection to show up.

Check these things and report back.

Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

4. Default Re: Problem updating FW on Kasina

I was plugged into a laptop. This is weird. I tried it again after seeing your message and at first it didn't respond, I unplugged and replugged a few times and all of a sudden it is working. It just would not work this afternoon. Not sure what went wrong, at least it is resolved now.

I was able to update the firmware, but only to 1.03. How do I access 1.04?

Thank you for your help!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dancinglight View Post
    I was able to update the firmware, but only to 1.03. How do I access 1.04?
    Where did you find 1.03?

1.04 is downloadable from here.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

6. Default Re: Problem updating FW on Kasina

I was using Mac Mountain Lion and I discovered that every time I copied the new firmware to Kasina it kept on reverting back to 1.03 when I powered off and powered on again. So I thought I had 1.03. This kept on happening even though it seemed I was able to copy the new file over to Kasina OK (the file date in the folder was updated when I did a copy). I then read the instruction saying to use command line. I tried it and got an error message.

Fortunately I have bootcamp on my computer and I switched to windows and the installation worked without glitch. Sigh.

Blog Entries

On Mac, from the Finder it does not always work. We don't know why. That is why I have set it up by command line, which does work. I have tried it up to Mavericks. I will make a utility to do this.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

I know you got it to work but I would like to test a long term solution for the Mac if you don't mind.

Here is a firmware update utility for Mac. I have tested it on Mavericks and Snow Leopard and it works for me. Please test it on your Mac. You might have to roll back to an older firmware with the utility for testing and then once again install the new one. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to tell if anything updated (besides error messages) For others, I will roll this code into the Kasina Basic Editor.
    Attached Files Attached Files

9. Default Re: Problem updating FW on Kasina

I don't know how to roll back to an older firmware because I have deleted it. I tested the utility without rolling back and it seemed to operate as expected.

Blog Entries

There is a check in place if the copy over fails. So if it ran through the whole process and ejected the mounted bootloader drive, then it worked. You just wouldn't have seen a change in the FW number. I can pull up an older and post it, if you wanted to do that test. Otherwise, we can get a bigger sample when the editor update is released.

Thread Information