Thread: Problem reading mp3 file

Default Problem reading mp3 file

When I try to play this (will try to attach) mp3 file my Kasina says it is an unsupported file format. Not sure why since my win7 media player and a couple of cheap mp3 players play it fine. This file was converted (avs audio converter, full paid version) from wav (Kasina plays this wav file no problem) to mp3 in order to save disk space (mp3 is 1/4 the size). Pretty standard format (44100/320). The session is a simple Alpha with AS. Not sure what the problem is? BTW my Kasina has no problem playing Transparent NP3 sessions extracted to mp3.

Any help from the file format experts would be great, thanks.

Cheers,
    TomC
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cool Re: Problem reading mp3 file

Hey Tom, same results here. I imported into Audacity and exported as 44100/320 and the size of the file was increased by 47394 bytes, not significant but the only change I can notice. It plays just fine. Looks like you may have found a bug in AVS Audio Converter for Online Media Technologies Ltd. I'd report it to them maybe they can track it down. Here is the re-encoded file, works great!

I am by no means a file format expert, but hope this helps...
    The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
    ​_________________________________________________ _________________________-Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problem reading mp3 file

Tom,
    What were the settings you were using for the encoder? mp3 bitrate, channels, and quality?

John, thanks for checking this out..

Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

The company AVS4YOU that makes the AVS Audio Converter (and many other titles) has a bug in their Audio Editing/Conversion software where it makes a non-standard mp3 file. It has to do with the tags and/or header it creates. Re-converting that file with any other software, or just editing the tags in another piece of software will often fix the problem.
    That company makes excellent software otherwise, I use their video editing and conversion software all the time. I never figured out exactly what was wrong with the header that AVS Audio software makes, just that there's something non-standard about it that the Kasina chokes on. I've run into this exact problem with another Kasina user.

When I get some time, I may contact the programmer and let him know, as he's been quite responsive to other questions I've had.

Until then, editing the tags with a program like mp3tag (which I highly recommend) will fix the mp3 file formatting.

I added a title tag to the file which should fix the problem, please test it and see.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The company AVS4YOU that makes the AVS Audio Converter (and many other titles) has a bug in their Audio Editing/Conversion software where it makes a non-standard mp3 file. It has to do with the tags and/or header it creates. Re-converting that file with any other software, or just editing the tags in another piece of software will often fix the problem.
    That company makes excellent software otherwise, I use their video editing and conversion software all the time. I never figured out exactly what was wrong with the header that AVS Audio software makes, just that there's something non-standard about it that the Kasina chokes on. I've run into this exact problem with another Kasina user.

When I get some time, I may contact the programmer and let him know, as he's been quite responsive to other questions I've had.

Until then, editing the tags with a program like mp3tag (which I highly recommend) will fix the mp3 file formatting.

I added a title tag to the file which should fix the problem, please test it and see.
    Thanks guys.

I tried your file Andy and it seems to work fine. Not sure if I'm confident to editing tags or not so I might just try another file converter like audacity (thanks johrho). In the meantime it would be great if you could contact AVS tech guys and let them know what the problem appears to be since you know a lot more about this stuff than myself. Thanks Andy.

I still kinda find it strange that my avs wav/mp3 file plays and works fine on all other mp3 players I own an on win7 media player. Maybe something can be done with the Kasina firmware to make it a bit more tolerant?

Cheers,
    TomC

Blog Entries

Just an update on this...

Turns out that AVS4YOU is creating mp3s with corrupt frames. The Kasina could tolerate 3 corrupted frames, but these files had 7. There will be an update in the future to allow the Kasina to tolerate a higher number of corrupted frames, but in the end the problem is with the AVS4YOU software, not the Kasina.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information