Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love the Procyon

1. Default Love the Procyon

I love the procyon. I have the procyon, proteus, and the kasina. I really like all of them, but the procyon is one of my favorites. You get so much with this machine for a very good price.
    This has been a great machine for me. I love it.

Default Re: Love the Procyon

Glad you really like the Procyon. Mine has become a paper weight since I got my Kasina, lol!

Blog Entries

The Procyon lights have a unique flavor to them. But the real beauty of the Procyon is the excellent session designs by Robert. I think the Creative Visualization ones are amazing. One thing, MindPlace does not abandon products just because something new is out, so you will see more neat things coming for the Procyon.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Ya, there are some very nice in-built sessions on the Procyon (as well as the Proteus). Hopefully these will get ported over to the Kasina eventually.

Thanks, TomC, for your kind words about our Proteus and Procyon sessions... The Kasina project has been the first time that I've taken pause from session creation in the 25 years since I launched MindPlace (well, it was Synetic Systems back in the late '80s to late '90s). Session structures for the Proteus and Procyon were more or less derived from earlier models, such as the MindLab, MasterMind, Esprit, Courier, MindsEye and Synergizer series, and are similar to sessions I made for the MC2 Study, a Korean collaboration. With the Kasina, I decided to assemble a small team of our uber-users from our Forums and elsewhere, to create sessions based on both 'best practices' and the edges of what is possible with light and sound stimulation--hence our growing emphasis on 'mind-art'. This has also built upon the in-house experiments we conducted at SynchroMed, when Dr. Tom Budzynski was our Director of Research, 1996-98; these pilot studies led to the Proteus, Procyon and Kasina projects; we were the first to use more than one color due to published research, and the first to use more than one frequency, based on our internal research. As the sincerest form of flattery, I notice that our competitors have adopted those changes as well.

Stay tuned for further session developments, we have several projects underway right now.

-Robert

Robert,

Your team has done a great job with sessions on the Kasina. It would be a great loss for Kasina newbies not to be able to utilise and enjoy your Proteus/Procyon sessions, which are a bit better than the older Siruis one's (KBS) now included imho.

Cheers,
    TomC

I agree with you Tom. It would be great if at least some of the Procyon Sessions could be converted for Kasina.
    I would also like to help with it if it is only a problem of to much time consuming work to convert them.

Blog Entries

The Procyon output could only be approximated as far as the duty cycle of the waveforms and such. The Procyon has some unique 'mid waveshapes' that it creates when you play with the duty cycle of the triangular wave and sine wave. Normally, these are not subject to duty cycle settings, so they are distorted in unique ways to produce complex wave patterns. MindWorkstation can approximate this a little bit with the way you can 'morph' from one wave to another. It is not the same however. The output would be unique in each case. This is a very fertile area for explorers would want to create novel flicker patterns though.

Converting the simple frequencies is not that big of a deal and I have made some progress on session converters that will be released as we get more of the support site structure in place.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Thanks for your offers of help re-creating Proteus and Procyon sessions! Scott is correct--we placed extreme emphasis on visual effect programming with the Procyon, and there are aspects of Procyon sessions which cannot be entirely replicated in the Kasina. In particular this has to do with pulse waveforms, pulse width control, and phase shifting. But I'm sure we can come close, and layering in appropriate audio source material(s) will be especially fun. We'll be working as Scott mentioned on re-creating some or all of these over time, but there is plenty of creative latitude to allow you to make your own versions using the various tools already available.

Scott,Robert,
    Thank You very much for the Infos.Actually I don't use Procyon anymore because I have the old version and the plug has this
    contactproblems.But I really loved some of the Proteus Sessions so I'm looking foreward to play them on Kasina.
    Cheers
    Esthy

Thread Information