Thread: New owner Kasina with comment and question

Default New owner Kasina with comment and question

Hello again MindPlace. It has been awhile since I last posted here on experiences with Procyon. I just got K today and I want to upgrade the firmware to 1.03 before using it. I had a dickens of a time using the directional ring to get my serial number and make changes. No matter how lightly I clicked down, I would get thrown back to main menu from list in Service Menu. I guess the right touch will come with practice. But it did take at least a dozen attempts to get my serial number. Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity?

Nw for my main question. I want to update SW before starting to play around. The only computers I have available are win xp 32 bit and win 8.1 64 bit. Will either of these work to instal drivers and editors for Kasina and Procyon. No win 7 available.

Thanks for your help. It's good to be back.

Blog Entries

Default Re: New owner Kasina with comment and question

Hi Herclobus1,
    The Kasina Editor will work back to Windows XP and up to Windows 8 and probably 8.1 although not tested there. Try there and report back because we would like to know too. Installing the firmware is pretty easy. Here are the instructions for Windows: http://mindplacesupport.com/wp-conte...eonWindows.pdf

I am a little concerned with how your navigation wheel is functioning. That doesn't seem right. It sounds almost like it is sticking at some direction. Would you go to the main menu and try to navigate around? Notice though that the navigation 'rolls over' meaning that multiple presses in the same direction has kind of rotating around the icons effect. In the Service menu it is only right or left that pops you out of the menu.

Press your navigation wheel several times to try to get a feel for how it operates. If you don't seem to have full control over it then let Andy know at Contact Us link at the bottom of any page on the forum.

Glad to have you back!

Best,
    Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Scott, I discovered that I can't scroll in the normal manner but if I quickly click and release I can step through the choices. I'll let you know if I can get the installs accomplished on win 8.1.

Win 8.1 apparently already has necessary usb drivers pre-installed. The FW upgrade went smoothly. The instructions were confusing, and especially for a noob. That is because there is no initial step 1-- Plug usb cord into Kasina and computer. Then press on button and center of circle to get info screen on Kasina. I spent 5 min. trying in disconnected mode thinking I had defective device when nothing but normal turn on screeen showed. Then without seeing any direction for it I plugged Kasina in to computer and voila the message occurred after two button turn on. After that a look in device manager revealed all was in order.

The second missing info bit for a new person is instruction to unmount the Kasnina from the computer and then turn it on to check if the firmware has been updated. I would suggest adding these omissions to the install pdf file. If someone with over 25 years experience with windows and mindmachine devices can have a rough time with the current directions, imagine what a raw enthusiast might go through. I have great sympathy for the noobie because even with wonderful directions and precise wizrds application and hardware mangement is difficult enough.

Install of the gorgeous basic Kasina editor went without a flaw on win 8.1 Scott your tutorial is very clear and extremely helpful. Now to setup the Procyon on win 8.1 and see how that goes

Blog Entries

I have updated the firmware install instructions with your suggestions. Please take a look at it and see if it is clearer now. http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...are-on-Windows

Thanks for helping me to clarify the instructions. I'm glad the install went smoothly and you found the Kasina Basic Editor easy to learn.

Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Your welcome Scott, happy to help. I also found the Procyon drivers and editor easy to install in win 8.1.

Just got my replacement Kasina from MindPlace and wow the navigation wheel is so easy to use. Charging it up and then the experimenting begins.

MindPlace thank you for such courteous and speedy solution.

Thread Information