Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MIDI & AVS

1. Default MIDI & AVS

For a midi guitar, Im actually looking into Godins Synth access guitars... The LGX is a really nice guitar, and I actually got to play with one when I worked at the guitar shop years ago (I taught there for 4 years)... really nice action and super smooth tracking.

They also have a fretless nylon string guitar that has midi output, which would be fun to play with using the MUX software...

I have been visualizing countless possibilities for the future of my music! I never expected the kasina to have so many features! Maybe I can write up a decent set and pick up one of those wall projector units and hit the rave clubs, lol

So many possibilities

Blog Entries

Default Re: Just ordered my Kasina!

Yes dedicated MIDI guitars are nice. I have always chose to retro fit with Roland systems. I have built a couple of guitars with these systems. But honestly, the software performance like with synths has really begun to catch up to the hardware. It is so much more convenient to play the guitar you love, recording it clean, and then using amp models or re-amping if you have beloved amps. This lets you track the midi in post production if desired.

And looping thru live especially if you have an amp splitter is really easy. To do midi control of Kasina you are going to need to route through software anyway. I would recommend at least trying the demo of Jam Origin. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. It is in continuing development and version 1 was just released. I have been using the beta for more than a year and was an early adopter and supporter.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

3. Default Re: Just ordered my Kasina!

Thanks scott! Unfortunately, I no longer have the guitar I love..

I hit a rough road and had to sell all my gear. (PRS custom 22, modified with fralin unbuckers, a DR Z Maz 38 sr w/reverb, and a host of hand wired, analog boutique effects... I miss it so )

Right now all I have is a cheap ass samick acoustic that my uncle gave me to play, but now things are turning around and I want to pick up a new guitar... I love the godins, and the electric tone on those is great.. I like the thought of being able to split the signal from the guitar for live playing.

to get things rolling, im probably just going to pick up a cheap line 6 interface as Ive played with their amp models and they seem to sound pretty decent given digital processing..
    Regarding Jam Origin, does it just track the note itself, or can it actually distinguish between an open E string, and a fretted E on the G string? I have this vision in my head of assigning each string to a different instrument, and seeing if I can get a full orchestral sound by playing chordal melodies...

Thing is, ive never done recording myself... All my past recording was done in a studio with a producer, so Im a little green when it comes to software...

Thanks for your help Scott, I never thought my mind machine could be so compatible with making music!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Just ordered my Kasina!

Note: Andy you will probably want to split this topic off to MIDI guitar and Kasina....

I like the Fender Mustang modeling amps. The floor unit is nice too. I have a Mustang 1 for practice and monitoring. Plus a floor unit for recording. To sense the same notes on different strings you will want a hexaphonic pickup like in the Godin you mentioned. The software has no way to know this and for MIDI pitches it doesn't matter really because they are the same note. But if you have a special application then...

If you are just getting started with software then be patient because it doesn't come easy. It is easier to learn than ever before though with all the YouTube tutorials out there.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Default Re: MIDI & AVS

The MIDI pickup everyone's talking about now is the Fishman Triple Play.
    Supposedly the greatest thing since sliced bread...
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Blog Entries

That's interesting Andy. I had heard about this company before with some of their piezo pickups and I believe they did a midi bridge before, but I hadn't run across this. Will definitely investigate. Thanks for pointing it out.

Scott

7. Default Re: MIDI & AVS

I was just looking at that triple play pickup and I must say it looks quite amazing! I like the ability to plug it in to the USB port and run the guitar wireless...

Anyone here try one yet? Ive just been trying to get an idea of what gear I need to buy, as I dont have a ton of money atm, but want to get recording..

So since i only have an acoustic, i have to pic up an electric guitar... Im looking at schecter guitars, as they are relatively inexpensive, and play really well... But if anyone has any suggestions for dual humbucker, hard tail bridge im all ears (I play with alternate tunings a lot, and a tremolo bridge makes retuning on the fly a nightmare)

For my interface im going with a line 6 UX1, with a single XLR input, and a 1/4" instrument jack (phone plug).. I just want to get this going for as cheaply a I can, and will upgrade as time goes on... plus a wireless fishman triple play, mulab and mux, and I should be good for the time being...

See, I have this little issue, where all my gear needs to be high end.. I realized recently that if I want to actually have an electric guitar again at this moment, I have to sacrifice my tone snobbery and just buy something that works...

The Line6 comes with pod farm, a so-so modeling software, that I can just use as a guitar amp for now.

It looks like things are starting to come together!

So to reiterate:
    Schecter guitar
    fishman triple play
    line 6 UX1 interface
    Mulab and MUX
    (Mindworkstation? or can I get by without it for now?)
    Is there anything im missing just to get started? I obviously have a computer, 4gb ram, and intel core duo 3ghz processor, so I think I should be ok for now without having to buy a new one... maybe a new hard drive though...

Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated

Cheers!
    Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Sounds like a great setup. MindWorkstation offers nothing if you're mainly into music/AVS as opposed to feedback/AVS. Every sound, modulation and automation that MWS can make can be made with MuLab, plus a lot more. With a bit of trickery MuLab can even handle biofeedback inputs - via midi or tone amplitude. If you are using only MuLab you don't need the separate MUX product - that's required only if you wish to use MUX presets as VSTs in other DAWs.

Cheers,
    Craig

9. Default Re: MIDI & AVS

Quote Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
    Hi Aaron,
    If you are using only MuLab you don't need the separate MUX product - that's required only if you wish to use MUX presets as VSTs in other DAWs.
    Ah, ok thanks craig

What threw me was that they offer Mulab and MUX as a package deal, so I was assuming all the synth modules and controllers were a part of MUX...

Blog Entries

If it's not too late, and you have the money, consider the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II (or XL). It's the only modeller that works and sounds just like a real amp, and all the pros are using it now, once they've gotten over the idea of not using a regular amp!

With the group I work for, we've bought 5 of them so far and are adding another one soon. It's the only product that many guitar players that "will never give up their amp" will give up their amp for. Check out the list of artists using it.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information