Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just ordered my Kasina!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Just ordered my Kasina!

Hi Aaron,
    It is unlikely in the short term. Here is why... The ColorSets are compiled into the Operating System of the Kasina. Thus, the editor has no ability to address or alter them. The KBS standard is very simple right now. It is kind of an added bonus as the Kasina is really designed for SpectraStrobe playback and advanced audio sessions. Our next priority in expanding the KBS format is to allow the playback of audio files from the SD card along with these sessions. That is consuming our development efforts for KBS.

If you are a musician then give MuLab a look as it has a 'color organ' type feature in the SpectraStrobe patches and you have more control over the spectrum mapping and modulation of the lights/colors. Playing live guitar along with that is fun. I have done it many times.

Hope this helps,
    Scott
    Last edited by neuroasis; 02-07-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

2. Default Re: Just ordered my Kasina!

Thanks Scott, that is most helpful

I can see a whole new approach to live shows with your new wall projector!

What intrigues me most about the Kasina is its potential for development... That is why I ultimately went with it over the procyon, and I am SOOOO glad I did

3. Default Re: Just ordered my Kasina!

I just want to share an experience I just had... I have a pair of really nice studio headphones, so i opted to use those for my first full journey...

I just wanted to see what the kasina could do, so I queued up A starlit night and took my seat..

Within minutes I was overcome by a world of colour, it was simply unreal! I remember exclaming to myself "this is INSANE!"...

A few minutes went by and things started to get pretty fast.. I could feel a buzzing through my whole body and then it was like the light fell through my head and I was floating formless in a field of colour... it was like I had full 360 degree vision, it was quite remarkable! It only lasted a few minutes and then I fell back into my normal perception as the strobing changed...

What followed next can only be described as a phantasmagorical cacophony of constantly shifting geometric patterns, folding into themselves revealing a surprising complexity...

Then came the pink wall with the eyeballs... I wont go into that one, but something shifted and a lotus flower blossomed in the center of my visual field...

Then it all faded as the session ended. I continued to watch the flowing green foam dance behind my closed eyelids for a few minutes as I reflected on the experience...

What strikes me most about this, is it sounds like I am writing a trip report for some wild psychedelic or something! Was this real? WTF? That was completely, utterly mind blowing!

Then I moved onto astroturf, and this was a bit more subdued... quite nice, but nowhere near as mind bending as the first go... a totally different state of mind...

Yeah, I think im hooked

Blog Entries

Hey Aaron,
    I know exactly what you are saying I have been sucked into similar vortices (or vortexes) many,many times using AVS. There is a point at which something clicks and if you 'lean into it', that is let yourself go and don't 'pop out' by being surprised or startled, then off you go.. A Starlit Night is like 'full-on' mode as far as the Kasina is concerned with the current session set. It pushes the boundaries of pure neurological visual illusions by ramping among the most 'potent' regions. Again, if you let it, the mind can take off from there..

The music of this session too is 'tingling' with a strong 'takeoff' and 'forward thrust' later in the session. As stated before, these sessions were worked on for many months, so very little is purely by accident... of course, the frequencies and sound affect people in different ways, but your report is close to what I have experienced with this session as well.

On guitar, I also wanted to mention that there have been some cool advances in software and hardware for MIDI guitar. Jam Origin http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/ tracks really well, and you don't have to adjust your playing much (at least I don't) It also has several ways to map notes and alternate tuning and such. For hardware, the Sonuus Music Port works very well too http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp.html . I do have to be a bit more 'clean' with my attack on this but the pitch bend tracking is really fun. Some of my lead 'wind' tracks are actually played on guitar using this.

Anyway, with a MIDI guitar setup and a sequencer you can assign colors directly to the notes that you play. So you can literally 'play' the Kasina. MIDI keyboards can do this too but it depends on what you are most expressive and comfortable with.

Enjoy the ride,
    Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

5. Default Re: Just ordered my Kasina!

Ok, so I just got the free version of mulab, and just downloaded and copied all the kasina plugins into their folders... Im looking forward to diving into this, should be fun

Hi,

Pleased you're enjoying the Kasina. Hope you have fun with MuLab. Let me know if you have any questions/comments on the MUX presets.

Cheers,
    Craig

7. Default Re: Just ordered my Kasina!

Holy crap! I just tried running Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon through the colour organ on my kasina, and I must say, that was one hell of an experience!!

At first, things started out nicely with blues and greens, and as the album built in intensity, red started creeping in more and more, until the entire spectrum of colours was morphing and dancing to the music...

"Any color you like" was absolutely mind blowing! "Money" also gave me a really spectacular show..

For the first couple songs, I cycled through the colour organ settings, but ultimately ended up on 200% slow fade for the rest.

That was just too awesome!

Blog Entries

Ha, haven't tried that but will. How is it that Dark Side of the Moon just works for everything? If there was ever a divinely inspired album, that is it.

9. Default Re: Just ordered my Kasina!

I used the remastered version for this session, as I find the stereo mix to be a bit more defined, which greatly enhances the left/right separation of the lights

Thread Information