Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream! Lucky me?

Default Re: I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream! Lucky me?

Greetings! The serial version of Mental Games did not require a software key/serial number; that was added by Andrzej Slawinski for the TS USB version (2.9). I'll check the office Monday, it's possible we still have some rev. 2.8 CDs in the warehouse.

We actually designed the ThoughtStream to be a stand-alone device, but along the design process realized that we had an unused serial port available - which was the birth of the RS232 version. We then created the simple, freeware TS Interface software for users who wanted to chart their progress, and then Andrzej made the Mental Games software as his Master's thesis in interactive software design. He originally planned seven levels, instead of the two currently included, but then became distracted by his much more expensive Verim software (which does currently support the ThoughtStream USB).

Hope this helps!
    Robert

2. Default Re: I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream! Lucky me?

I went to the link you sent and can only find how to register My software, which returns a server error. http://www.mental-games.com/
    is the link I went to, When I try to down load the software, it just asks for my user name and password, but I can't see anywhere to actually get a user name and password.

Blog Entries

Yeah, when I tried that link it had me log in too. But I had a log in from my registration of Mental Games.. So, you could maybe try to register it here and put in the notes that you have version 2.9 and want version 2.8... http://www.audiostrobe.com/register/ Or you could just wait for the MindPlace team to work it out. Mental Games is provided by a third party company. We have very little involvement with it besides order fulfillment and delivery. But Andy and Robert will do everything possible to get you the software you need.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Found a copy of version 2.8 and added it to the TS Archive page. Hopefully that works for you!
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

5. Default Re: I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream! Lucky me?

My goodness you guys are A-MAZING! I did find it ....downloaded it, I was able to install it, and registered using the software registration link you sent. I really appreciate the support. This is possibly the best customer support I have ever experienced. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again. I have to admit, that I was worried when I got the gizmo at first, since it was an older unit.... but things really seem to be fitting into place here. I couldn't be happier.

Blog Entries

Hi Katy,
    That is excellent that everything has gotten worked out. Please let us know how you enjoy working with your ThoughtStream and if you have any questions or ideas.

Thank you for your compliment. MindPlace prides itself on top notch customer service. We are consumers and geeks too and have had some very bad experiences with other companies as I am sure you have. Our products are designed to make people relaxed and happier. Customer communication is one part of that.

Enjoy,
    Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Thank you very much for the kind words, Katy! I'm glad we could help.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

8. Default Re: I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream! Lucky me!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    That's great news, Katy! So is this case (Andy?) that the serial numbers for 2.9 and 2.8 are different because the Mental Games site I sent above has a download link for 2.8... http://www.mental-games.com/software/MentalGames.zip

I guess I should try it out with my serial.. I have both 2.8 and 2.9 and Serial and USB ThoughtStreams.

Have fun,
    Scott
    Update. I tried and tried with the serial to USB pigtail, and while I could get the regular interface software to work, Mind Games would not glow green on the icon for the COMS port..and I couldn't get anything to "happen" in the screens. In the end I gave up on the USB, and just used the regular serial port and connected it and everything worked fine (after several com ports refreshes) oh, and reading the manual very slowly and carefully. (always helpful).

After all that... COMS port light on the ICON glowed Green, and I finallly got the space ship to dip down from the top of the screen and come into view ... but I was waaay too excited to get any spaceships anywhere near the landing pads. Later, I hooked up one of my co-workers and he was actually pretty successful with it, even for the first time.

I'll try again later with the Serial to USB pigtail, I still feel like I might could get it to work.
    Katy.

Blog Entries

Hi Katy;

Remember that version 2.8 of Mental Games will ONLY work with the older "RS-232" Thoughtstream that does not have the USB connection.
    Version 2.9 of Mental Games will ONLY work with the newer "USB" Thoughtstream with the built-in USB interface.

Other than that, you will need to ensure that:
    Mental Games is selecting the matching COM port that is created from the driver, either the SiLabs driver for the TS USB, or the driver for your USB to RS-232 adapter. For more information on how to make sure the drivers are installing correctly for your adapter, please have a look here.

If you need more assistance on how to determine the correct COM port, let me know and I'll help further.
    -Andy.

Thread Information