Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream! Lucky me?

1. Default I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream! Lucky me?

Helllo and happy New year to all in this Forum. This year, I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream but it didn't come with software, just the device/sensors and headsets. After watching the LEDs for a while...I also went on line and purchased the Mental Games CD software since I wanted to get a better/full experience. I also got myself a Serial to USB adapter/pigtail and the associated drivers. Should the new software work in this configuration or should I not even bother? Thanks anyone in advance.

Katy B.

Blog Entries

Default Re: I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream! Lucky me?

Hi Katy,
    Here is a link to our software for the Serial version of the ThoughtStream. http://support.mindplacesupport.com/...pport/archive/

I'm not sure if the USB adapter will work as there is a different format for the values in the ThoughtStream USB vs the ThoughtStream Serial.. the USB has more sensitive readings and a faster update. But I will check or maybe Andy knows.

Scott
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Ok, version 2.9 of Mental Games will not work with the Serial ThoughtStream... version 2.8 will... You can download that from this page after registering: http://www.mental-games.com/
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

4. Default Re: I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream! Lucky me?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    Ok, version 2.9 of Mental Games will not work with the Serial ThoughtStream... version 2.8 will... You can download that from this page after registering: http://www.mental-games.com/
    Thanks for your answers! So I assume I ordered 2.9. and I will download the 2.8 (thanks) But will I still need to keep the CD with 2.9... to prove I purchased it for some registration number/license number etc? Or can I return it and just use the downloadable version, Which is that free?
    Katy B.

Blog Entries

Hi Katy;

Where did you purchase Mental Games 2.9 from? If you purchased it from MindPlace, please send an e-mail to orders@mindplace.com to see if you can switch it and how the serial number situation works.

Scott is right, you need version 2.8 for that Thoughtstream, but both are paid-for pieces of software.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

6. Default Re: I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream! Lucky me?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Hi Katy;

Where did you purchase Mental Games 2.9 from? If you purchased it from MindPlace, please send an e-mail to orders@mindplace.com to see if you can switch it and how the serial number situation works.

Scott is right, you need version 2.8 for that Thoughtstream, but both are paid-for pieces of software.
    Thanks again for your quick response. Yes I ordered from MindPlace. I'll send them an email now...
    Now All I gotta do is find a regular computer with a serial port. My laptop only has USB.. which is why I was hoping the pigtail arrangement would work.

Katy B.

Blog Entries

Sorry Katy, missed your question about the Serial to USB adapter.
    That will work fine, as long as you can get the driver installed. No need to try and find an old computer with an RS-232 port.

The Thoughtstream USB uses a different format for the data from the older Thoughtstream RS-232 so that is why the software needs to be different.

See here for help with getting your USB to RS-232 adapter working.

I assume you have the GREY cable that came with the RS-232 Thoughtstream (9-pin RS-232 on one end, 3.5mm TRS on the other?)
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

8. Default Re: I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream! Lucky me?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Sorry Katy, missed your question about the Serial to USB adapter.
    That will work fine, as long as you can get the driver installed. No need to try and find an old computer with an RS-232 port.

The Thoughtstream USB uses a different format for the data from the older Thoughtstream RS-232 so that is why the software needs to be different.

See here for help with getting your USB to RS-232 adapter working.

I assume you have the GREY cable that came with the RS-232 Thoughtstream (9-pin RS-232 on one end, 3.5mm TRS on the other?)
    You guys are the best. Thanks! I do have the grey cable that came with the unit. AND, I think I got the serial to USB adapter and driver installed.... and working. Now I just have to wait for the 2.8 software to arrive! I'll keep you posted.

Have a great day!

KatyB.

9. Default Re: I got gifted the Old Serial port style THoughtstream! Lucky me?

I was going to wait to reply, but I was just too excited, and I wanted to provide some feedback. I got the TS Serial connection to work with that older interface software that I downloaded from the link you sent. The pigtail adapter for Serial to USB worked, I did have to download a driver, and I had to move the COM ports around a few times, It did finally work with my computer in COM port 6. I'm not 100% clear on what sensitivity I should be using, I guess I should read up in the manual....And anyway... now I'm too excited to relax! ... JK.... Eagerly awaiting the MindGames Software next.

Thanks again for your help.
    Katy B.

Blog Entries

That's great news, Katy! So is this case (Andy?) that the serial numbers for 2.9 and 2.8 are different because the Mental Games site I sent above has a download link for 2.8... http://www.mental-games.com/software/MentalGames.zip

I guess I should try it out with my serial.. I have both 2.8 and 2.9 and Serial and USB ThoughtStreams.

Have fun,
    Scott

Thread Information