Thread: Battery connection

1. Question Battery connection

Hello,

Yesterday I had a strange problem. I was listening to a session when I noticed that the batteries were going flat, so I inserted the USB cable and connected it to my USB charger (which then practically works as an adapter). When I finished, I switched off the Procyon, disconnected the USB charger/cable, and when I inserted the new batteries the Procyon didn't turn on. I tried the old batteries again as they were still working, just going flat, and they didn't work either. I was terrified as I am going away for a few days next week and wanted my Procyon! Then I inserted the USB cable again (and the USB charger) and it went on. When I disconnected it again it then also went on with the batteries.
    I am just curious what could have caused the problem? Any idea? Does this sometimes happen when one uses the USB cable with a charger? I see no reason why this should happen though. Maybe it was just a coincidence?

Thanks for your opinions.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Battery connection

I haven't heard of that problem before, so likely just a coincidence. Glad to hear it's all working properly now!
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Battery connection

Thanks, Andi. I just hope it is not the beginning of a real problem, but I will let you know if the problem occurs again. I will have my USB charger with me next week anyway!

4. Default Re: Battery connection

It's doing it again... I managed to make it work again, but am a bit worried. I had to sort of spin the batteries several times until it found the connection.

Blog Entries

Sounds like you have some oxidization on the battery terminals. Try a little very fine sandpaper on the contact and springs and make sure the batteries are clean.
    Your "spinning" of the batteries probably scraped some of the oxidization off.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

6. Default Re: Battery connection

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Sounds like you have some oxidization on the battery terminals. Try a little very fine sandpaper on the contact and springs and make sure the batteries are clean.
    Your "spinning" of the batteries probably scraped some of the oxidization off.
    Thanks for the reply, Andy. No, the batteries are rechargeable and relatively new (I bought them for the Procyon). Also, the problem occurs with all batteries. I did notice that one of the springs looks slightly bent outwards, which could make the connection difficult. How can I fix it without breaking it? I am afraid it will come off if I bend it inwards.

Hello, HighVisions--

We normally recommend alkaline batteries as they start out at around 1.5 volts and remain close to that value until near the end of their lives, which some rechargeable batteries, such as NiMH, can quickly drop to 1.2 volts and then tail off from there. Normally, this means that alkaline batteries last for some tens of hours (one distributor reported 70 hours, though this seems a bit high to me) while NiMH should last around ten hours between charges, assuming they are relatively new. The Procyon does not include a battery charge circuit, since an NiMH charger confronting alkaline cells could result in... problems.

Oxidation of the battery springs rarely occurs, unless you bought a used system from someone who left their batteries in for a long period of dis-use and they started to leak. The springs are pretty flexible, so you can manipulate them a bit with some (say) needle-nosed pliers or tweezers if you'd like (this won't void your warranty). Anyway... what kind of rechargeable batteries are they? Do you have voltage and capacity specs by chance? And if you're sufficiently geeky to have a volt-ohm-meter, can you measure the voltage for one of the cells and post that here?

-Thanks!

8. Default Re: Battery connection

Thank you for your reply, Robert! They are Varta Professional 2700 rechargeable batteries. They happened to be on sale just when I bought my Procyon, so I seized the opportunity. They are pretty good. When I bought them they lasted for a very long time. Now they don't last so long, but I am still happy.
    I think the problem with the springs is that they are a bit longer than average - at least I think so looking at other devices, so they might bend a bit with time. I will try what you suggest, thanks!

Thread Information