Thread: What is the best way to Use Light & Sound machines?

Default What is the best way to Use Light & Sound machines?

So i've been looking into this and have read that the best way to use light and sound machines is to select a session for whatever purpose you desire, put on the glasses/headphones and do *nothing*!

This seems counter-intuitive to traditional meditation practice of trying to clear the mind of all thoughts. However, I practice mindful meditation mostly. Mindful meditation requires that you simply be mindful and not attached/affected by any thoughts as you meditate. I guess the same principle applies here?

I'm not sure if it's because my sleeping patterns over the last few weeks has been a shambles, but in the mornings i'm doing the Brain Brightening program (beta stimulation) and I'm managing to drift off into what feels like theta and delta! I assume that my dominant brainwave during this is not beta Would the L&S machine will be working under these circumstances?

What have you guys found works best for you?

Cheers
    Sunny

2. Default Re: What is the best way to Use Light & Sound machines?

The best way is what works for you. I personally use the sounds and the lights as a mantra of sorts, concentrating on them rather than my thoughts.

It is common for those that have an abundance of slow wave activity (theta,delta) to find beta frequencies relaxing. Could be a reason why your sleeping patterns have been messed up. This could be caused by overuse of slow wave entrainment, ADHD, or depression.

Default Re: What is the best way to Use Light & Sound machines?

Hi Brewmasher,

Thanks, I'll try concentrating on the light show

I took what you said onboard yesterday before a badminton match and instead of doing beta I chose to run an alpha entrainment protocol. It was FAR more effective than the beta sessions I've been doing and I played better than I've played before! I felt more awake, focussed and strategic

I really want to understand why I'm struggling with beta protocols and whether, as you say, I have too much slow wave activity.

I think I may work on building up from alpha/smr to beta incrementally so see if my brain is willing to follow. And also avoid theta/delta for now. What do you think?

Cheers
    Sunny

4. Default Re: What is the best way to Use Light & Sound machines?

SMR is a wonderful band to start at. Happy, well adjusted people have an abundance of SMR activity. Dysfunctional people and addicts have a shortage. Increasing SMR can help with dealing with stress better, and can help with sleep.

Thread Information