Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Len Ochs Protocol

1. Default Re: Len Ochs Protocol

Why is Mind Workstation Professional required for this?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Len Ochs Protocol

Here is a discussion on this topic with the MindPlace owner, Robert Austin and the creator of the MWS plasticity protocol, Joe Verona. http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...-Ochs-Protocol
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

3. Default Re: Len Ochs Protocol

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    Here is a discussion on this topic with the MindPlace owner, Robert Austin and the creator of the MWS plasticity protocol, Joe Verona. http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...-Ochs-Protocol
    Hi Scott:

That link points to the top of this forum thread. Is it supposed to point somewhere else? My question is why the Professional version of Mind Workstation is needed as opposed to the standard version. When I compared the two versions the add-ons for the pro version did not seem to justify its $100 added expense. I'm totally funding this project out of pocket (grants will more than likely follow), but money is getting tight.

John

Blog Entries

Sorry, I lost context when I went to the end of your posting and it only showed the last page.

Let me open that session and see. I'll update this thread then. Probably it includes some engine plugins like the Formula or Timer. These are very useful and justify the cost. Does Transparent have academic pricing?
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Right, he uses the Timer engine to vary the frequencies every 2 minutes. For example in Neuroplasticity - Maintain it is +-0.5hz. There are other ways to do this that wouldn't require that engine though. Have to look at it in more detail.

Blog Entries

Ok, so the attached session is doing what the original one does, that is, every 2 minutes adding or subtracting 0.5hz in succession from the entrainment output over an 18 minute period. The Timer and Graph engines are removed though. It should work with the basic MWS version. I can't test this as I have Enterprise.

It is not nearly as clear what is happening in this version as in Joe's version. The Timer engine is a better way to do it.

But what I am doing is using 2 formula engines, a Data Table, and just for this test a Random engine. The Data Table holds the 2 values 0.5 and -0.5. The first formula engine reads this table. It updates every 2 minutes. The 2nd formula engine takes the output of formula engine 1 and adds a random number to it, then controls the entrainment track with its output. The random number is a placeholder for the EPOC dominant frequency. I have an EPOC and will test this session with it but it is too much to set up at the moment.

The EPOC engine with Joe's settings is present but disabled. To convert to using that engine just change the RAN_OUT variable in formula 2 to SENSOR_OUT.

So, it is possible but not pretty.

Scott

7. Default Re: Len Ochs Protocol

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    Ok, so the attached session is doing what the original one does, that is, every 2 minutes adding or subtracting 0.5hz in succession from the entrainment output over an 18 minute period. The Timer and Graph engines are removed though. It should work with the basic MWS version. I can't test this as I have Enterprise.

It is not nearly as clear what is happening in this version as in Joe's version. The Timer engine is a better way to do it.

But what I am doing is using 2 formula engines, a Data Table, and just for this test a Random engine. The Data Table holds the 2 values 0.5 and -0.5. The first formula engine reads this table. It updates every 2 minutes. The 2nd formula engine takes the output of formula engine 1 and adds a random number to it, then controls the entrainment track with its output. The random number is a placeholder for the EPOC dominant frequency. I have an EPOC and will test this session with it but it is too much to set up at the moment.

The EPOC engine with Joe's settings is present but disabled. To convert to using that engine just change the RAN_OUT variable in formula 2 to SENSOR_OUT.

So, it is possible but not pretty.

Scott

What it's doing Scott is using the Epoc to find the particular dominant frequency for that user, whatever that might be. It then sets the entrainment .5 Hz above that frequency for 2 min., leading the brainwave patterns up, and then .5 Hz below the frequency, leading the brainwave pattern down. This pushes and pulls at the existing dominant frequencies, hopefully increasing brain plasticity.

You would need the Epoc to determine the dominant frequency. Your session would closely mimic the protocol, if set in the estimated dominant frequency range.

That link points to the top of this forum thread. Is it supposed to point somewhere else? My question is why the Professional version of Mind Workstation is needed as opposed to the standard version. When I compared the two versions the add-ons for the pro version did not seem to justify its $100 added expense. I'm totally funding this project out of pocket (grants will more than likely follow), but money is getting tight.
    IMO, the graphing capability alone in the Professional version is worth the price of admission. The Timer engine opens a wide range of unique sessions. Send Transparent an email. I'm sure they will give you some kind of a discount to support your cause.

Blog Entries

I think that this 'conversion' session points to how flexible Mind Workstation actually is. You can do just about anything by combining various engines and formulas. Some ways are much easier and clearer than others. This is a good case. There are many ways to do the same thing. I can think of at least one maybe 2 more ways to do this. If I were designing it, because I have the Enterprise version, I would essentially do what Joe did.

I agree about the Graphing engine justifying the upgrade. If you are working with biosensors then you must graph them. Otherwise, you have no record of the session and what stimulation was delivered.

Blog Entries

Another neat thing with the Graphing implementation, you can export from this tool to several formats, including Excel, for analysis and reporting.

Thread Information