Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in dL mode

1. Default Stuck in dL mode

Hi everyone.

I had a similar problem to the one posted by Squire Trelawney. I was unable to download sessions into the Proteus. I'm sure everything was set up okay but no dice. The cable I was using was actually for the Thoughtstream. I'd bought them both together in a package deal from MindModulations. I know the cable was working okay because it worked with the Mental Games with the Thoughtstream but it doesn't seem to want to allow communication with the Proteus so I changed it for the one that actually came with the Proteus and bingo! Using version 2.4.5 I uploaded the latest code and lots of flashing numbers as described. But now when the numbers have stopped transferring all I get is a flashing dL on the Proteus screen. I am unable to change the mode. Whenever I switch on I get the flashing dL. None of the buttons work. The only difference a button press makes is that it stops the display from flashing. I've tried uploading older versions of the OS, 2.4.1 and even 2.2. I get the flashing numbers each time but then it reverts to a stuck dL display.

I've tried different transfer rates too.

I fear the worst........ could I have a second opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stuck in dL mode

The first thing to do is make certain you have new fresh alkaline batteries. If it still won't work then contact MindModulations. The proteus has a 1 year warranty.
    If the unit is older than a year, then go to http://www.mindplacesupport.com and click on "repairs".

Good luck - hopefully you get your unit working soon.

3. Default Re: Stuck in dL mode

Okay, thanks, Andy.

Will do.

Hello, Billgillies--

The cable problem is due to the fact that the Proteus and ThoughtStream serial cables cannot be exchanged--the TS cable (pale colored) can only transmit data, while the Proteus cable (black) can only receive it. We reason this is so has to do with using the audio patch cord to connect the two together.

The flashing "DL" is odd, though! If you are still having a problem with, we'll replace it ASAP--just contact us through www.mindplace.com, the support tab.

--Robert

Hi BillGillies,

Do all the push button switches appear to be working ... if they don't all make a clicking noise then one may be stuck down. If a switch is pressed (or stuck) while the unit is turned on it will be forced into the locked dL mode (flashing "dL"). This feature was made so the user could regain control of the Proteus in case the upgradeable code went astray and never returned to the core routines.

The Proteus will also go into the "locked dL" mode if a call to the upgradeable code fails to return the correct check-value. The core routines use this check to make sure the upgradeable code is working properly.

When locked in dL mode the Proteus is expecting the OS to be reprogrammed.
    So if the switches appear OK then something may have gone wrong with the programming of the code.

Let me know how it goes.

Beat regards,
    theRock

6. Default Re: Stuck in dL mode

Thanks for your reply, theRock.

Yeah, the buttons seem fine. Each of them make a solid clicking noise and the Proteus also responds to a button being depressed by halting the flashing to give a stable ?dL? display. When the button is allowed to click back then the flashing resumes.

I?ve tried pressing buttons in combination, holding buttons while switching the machine on and so on but to no effect. The only change I can get from it is when I plug the cable in. The display gives me a double zero. ?00?. When I press anything else the flashing ?dL? resumes. I also see the numbers flashing on the display when updating the code. The correct version of the OS code is included with each version of the Windows Proteus Editor so it?s difficult to get that wrong. Even so, I?ve completely uninstalled other versions of the editor when updating the code so the problem can?t be with that.

One thing I?ve noticed is that according to the Proteus display on switching on (before my ?dL? blues), my machine was shipped with version 2.3. I?ve seen 2.2, and two versions of 2.4 available for download but no 2.3. I would have liked to have tried resetting to its original state as shipped but for some reason 2.3 is not available.

Anyway, I think it?s time for me to return the unit ?.

7. Default Re: Stuck in dL mode

Thanks Robert,

I've been in touch with Mind Modulations who sold me the unit and they've agreed to take it back.

Just for future reference:

--We've identified the source of several updating issues to be USB to serial converter cables, which do not always work properly, it seems.
    Last edited by Andy; 12-20-2006 at 07:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that info, Robert.

People having trouble with their USB->Serial converters should check this thread for assistance. http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...hread.php?t=37

10. Default Re: Stuck in dL mode

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Austin View Post
    Just for future reference:

--We've identified the source of several updating issues to be USB to serial converter cables, which do not always work properly, it seems.
    Well, this jsut happened to me on version 2.3 as well. :-(

Now it just flashes DL at me and says bAd everytime I try to load the OS.

And there's no way to give the unit a hard reset back to 2.3? Guess I'll be calling MindModulations tomorrow.

It's a bummer since I just got the unit a few days ago and I was excited to try some of the new programs.

Wish I could have had better news for my inagural post...
    Last edited by Andy; 12-20-2006 at 07:12 PM.

Thread Information