Thread: Audiostrobe Procyon vs Proteus

1. Default Audiostrobe Procyon vs Proteus

Hello Everyone!

I have had my Proteus for about 8 months and love it! I just ordered a Procyon and expect it some time this week. I am curious...Do the Ausiostrobe CD's look and sound the same on both machines or is it better on the Procyon?

I am reading about sound problems and such, also. I sure do hope my machine does not have issues...

Thanks,

Nancy

2. Default Re: Audiostrobe Procyon vs Proteus

The proteus works better than the procyon for audiostrobe. I was disappointed when I found that out, but I still like using the procyon for the programmed tracks more that those on the proteus.

Default Re: Audiostrobe Procyon vs Proteus

The Procyon AS decode circuit is actually a bit more robust than the Proteus. Currently it maps left/right onto red/green, but we will soon offer an update which allows you to select which colors will be driven by each channel, and another "tweak" for AS decode control.

Blog Entries

Hello pcreator.

Quote Originally Posted by pcreator View Post
    The proteus works better than the procyon for audiostrobe. I was disappointed when I found that out, but I still like using the procyon for the programmed tracks more that those on the proteus.
    I'm curious as to what specifically you feel is better about the proteus AS function over the Procyon?

-Andy.

5. Default Re: Audiostrobe Procyon vs Proteus

To me it seemed like the lights worked better. I haven't tried using the procyon with audiostrobe since the latest software update, so maybe I'll try it again and see if I still think the proteus was better.

Blog Entries

It would be great if you could say specifically what exactly is different in your opinion. The Procyon is definitely designed to be a step up from the Proteus so we would welcome your feedback.

7. Default Re: Audiostrobe Procyon vs Proteus

I actually like the audiostrobe better on the Procyon. I think the sound is better. This is external audio, so I don't know if it should be better, but to me, subjectively, it is better.

As far as the sessions, it is hard to tell. Some cut out on me, and some, I think, are stuck. From what I have been able to sample so far, the lights seem less bright in the Procyon sessions.

Nancy

Hi, Nancy--the Proteus is a bit brighter than the Procyon, because in the former case we use 2 LED chips each for red and green, while for the Procyon we use one LED chip for each color. The latter LEDs have a higher brightness range.

We had considered using 2 chips each color, but that would bring the total to 12 LEDs (six per eye), which would tend to drain your batteries rather quickly.

Brightness is one thing which we've never really been able to tune to make everyone happy; several customers have compained that the Proteus is too bright, for example! Instead we try to find the happiest medium.

You might try using the Procyon in a darkened room, as ambient lighting will tend to wash the colors out a bit.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Smile Re: Audiostrobe Procyon vs Proteus

You should really consider making those glasses Robert, because i'd buy them, and i'm sure i'm not the only one. For me, the more light the better. And i think that when the procyon is plugged in to a usb port it doesn't run on the batteries? If not, we could run it with the proteus AC adapter couldn't we? Even so, the strenght of the lights is very important to me. The more the better. Thanks!

Thread Information