Thread: USB Installation and other problems

1. Default USB Installation and other problems

Hi,

Just received my Procyon. Installed the software and the drivers (XP pro). Connect the unit and it says one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows cannot connect to it. my device then shows up as "unknown device" I tried installing the drivers manually and itsays the driver doesn't contain information about the device and wont install. Also, how do I check firmware version and how do I flash the device? Thanks.

One other thing .. Can't get the device to work with rechargable AAs should they work?
    Last edited by thunderdog; 02-19-2007 at 02:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: USB Installation and other problems

Hello Thunderdog;

That kind of sucks, doesn't it!

Some things to check:
    - Make sure you're not connecting via a USB hub.
    - Try a different USB port
    - Try rebooting your PC

Your OS version should come up when you first power up the Procyon. It should read 174 for version 1.7.4. If not, then go to
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Procyon.htm and download the latest OS. The instructions I believe are included in that download.

Let us know how you get on.

-Andy.

3. Default Re: USB Installation and other problems

I tried all ot the above before starting this thread. No luck.
    Also, it just says "on and then the current program number" when powering up. Do I have a defective unit?

Finally, how do I udpate the unit if I can't get it to connect to the pc properly? Thanks Andy.
    Last edited by thunderdog; 02-19-2007 at 02:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi again;

You probably don't have a defective unit, just one that didn't get the OS update yet.

Please try uninstalling the driver (Add/Remove Programs) and reinstalling.

This is the first time I've heard of an issue with the driver. Once you get the Procyon connecting properly, do the OS update.

-Andy.

5. Default Re: USB Installation and other problems

I've done that as well. Still no luck. I will try a different computer and see if I can update that way.

Blog Entries

Good idea. If that still doesn't work, you should contact the dealer you purchased the unit from to arrange getting that console repaired or replaced.

Let us know how you make out.

Hi, Thunderdog--you're welcome to send your unit to us, we'll flash it with the current OS. We're still puzzling out why a few users (not many, but some) have reported USB driver issues--which OS are you using?

Regarding rechargeable batteries: Alkaline cells work best, because fresh ones produce more than 1.5 volts. NiHM cells typically cannot produce more than 1.2 volts. Blue and green LEDs typically require 3.2 volts to operate, and even fresh and fully charged ones will be operating near the dropout rate. I've heard of alkaline cell rechargers, but haven't tried one yet.

I hope this helps!

8. Default Re: USB Installation and other problems

Success on all fronts. I updated the firmware using another pc (desktop), then went back to my laptop and reinstalled the software and drivers for the 5th time. Plugged in the 1.7.4 unpated unit and voila drivers installed without a hitch.

Also, I've found that the 2100mh NIMH don't work very well but the 2600s are excellent.

Thank you very much for the offer to flash. But all is well for now.

Now if I can only figure out how to use the software..... 8)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdog View Post
    Success on all fronts. I updated the firmware using another pc (desktop), then went back to my laptop and reinstalled the software and drivers for the 5th time. Plugged in the 1.7.4 unpated unit and voila drivers installed without a hitch.
    That's great news. Thanks for letting us know. USB is not without it's problems as we have found out.
    Give your self time to read the manual and instructions and experiment a bit if you are interested in using the software. Good luck!

-Andy.

Thread Information