Thread: Using Proteus without glasses

Default Using Proteus without glasses

Hi there,
    Some time ago Marisa told me that I could use the Proteus without the glasses for certain programmes. I was wondering if I can use it that way when I am say, using the computer or watching the TV?
    What I am asking is if the brain will override the visual stimulus of the screen to alter the brainwaves in keeping with the chosen programme.

Can you refresh my memory which programms are suitable and if it can be used that way?
    Many thanks
    Life is but a dream

Blog Entries

Default Re: Using Proteus without glasses

Light is more effective than sound, so the light coming from the TV will likely negate the effectiveness of the sound. A static computer screen (assuming no flashing-stuff on it) would probably not affect you as much and you would probably get some entrainment from the sound-only in that case.

Give it a try and let us know what you find.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Ok thanks.
    Life is but a dream

Anything above 10Hz alpha, the typical "blink" frequency will be fine eyes-open, no glasses. This means energy, focus, study, mood lift type sessions. As Andy says, light tends to be more persuasive than sound, but for many purposes having the session alongside the activity can be helpful, most particularly in the case of study, where it enables you to be reading text while using the session. If you wish to include light stimulation and look at whatever, then you may find Avstim see-thru glasses useful.

Cheers,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
    Anything above 10Hz alpha, the typical "blink" frequency will be fine eyes-open, no glasses. This means energy, focus, study, mood lift type sessions. As Andy says, light tends to be more persuasive than sound, but for many purposes having the session alongside the activity can be helpful, most particularly in the case of study, where it enables you to be reading text while using the session. If you wish to include light stimulation and look at whatever, then you may find Avstim see-thru glasses useful.

Cheers,
    Craig
    Thanks very much for that info Craig. Would the Avstim or Laxman open eye glasses work with the Protreus and any idea how much they are?
    Life is but a dream

The AVStim ones work with the Proteus, but the Laxman ones do not. The Laxman has a totally different connector that can be used with Rev 1 and Rev 2 Procyons. Unlike the typical "open-eye" experience, such as that of the Laxman, the AVStim glasses have a number of LEDs around the periphery of an clear window, so that you are looking straight through with the stimulation registering in your peripheral vision.

Cheers,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
    The AVStim ones work with the Proteus, but the Laxman ones do not. The Laxman has a totally different connector that can be used with Rev 1 and Rev 2 Procyons. Unlike the typical "open-eye" experience, such as that of the Laxman, the AVStim glasses have a number of LEDs around the periphery of an clear window, so that you are looking straight through with the stimulation registering in your peripheral vision.

Cheers,
    Craig

Thanks for that info. Can I ask if there are any sessions that are especially geared to cheering you up if you feel very down or troubled. Both my son and myself struggle with low mood on occaisions. I know the alpha sessions will be good generally for relaxing etc but are there are sessions that sort of blast away bad thoughts so to speak? You know, like re-booting your PC.
    Life is but a dream

Any of the Peak Performance or Energy sessions would be worth a try. You might also want to consider Neuroprogrammer 3 - it works beautifully with the Audiostrobe on the Proteus and is also very well suited to audio-only, with many sessions specifically designed for therapeutic applications.

Cheers,
    Craig

Thread Information