Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device?

1. Question How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device?

How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device for further processing? - maybe from the ThoughtStream USB Interface or other interface?

I'd like to take the data and use it in Arduino. (http://www.arduino.cc/)

I'd like to use both the ThoughtStream USB Interface Display and Arduino at the same time - "real time data" stream to Arduino and "real time data" displayed on on the ThoughtStream USB Interface.

Has anyone done anything like this? Got any suggestions?

Thanks for this forum! I'm new, both to the forum and to the Thoughtstream USB device itself, so still learning.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device?

Hello and Welcome!

Sounds like an interesting project!

One stumbling block will be setting the Arduino up as a USB host, as the TS USB is a USB slave device, designed to connect to a computer. Your Arduino would have to emulate that computer interface.
    This project would be easier I think using the old RS-232 ThoughtStream as the Arduino has no problem reading Serial data.

Info on the TS data format is here.

Let me know how this progresses.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device?

Thanks for replying, Andy! I understand the RS-232 reply and might go that way next.

But...., is there a way I can access the number in the DATA box on the TS USB Interface Software? (the constantly changing number responding to signal from gsr sensors) - or some variable in the software that I could access and direct to Arduino?

Thanks!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Hello and Welcome!

Sounds like an interesting project!

One stumbling block will be setting the Arduino up as a USB host, as the TS USB is a USB slave device, designed to connect to a computer. Your Arduino would have to emulate that computer interface.
    This project would be easier I think using the old RS-232 ThoughtStream as the Arduino has no problem reading Serial data.

Info on the TS data format is here.

Let me know how this progresses.

If you're going to have the Thoughtstream connected to a PC and the Arduino simultaneously then you could set up the Arduino to "snoop" the USB connection. That leaves protocols to the PC while the Arduino just sees a data stream. It shouldn't be too hard to find what you're looking for in the stream.

Cheers,
    Craig

Blog Entries

I would think a standalone TS to Arduino connection would be more desirable, but if you want to run it with a computer, the simplest way would be to read the data from the VCP created by the windows driver and fire that out the VCP created for the Arduino. To and from the drivers in the computer, they are just like serial (COM) ports.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

6. Default Re: How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device?

Thanks Craig! I'll try this, along with Andy's recommendations too.

7. Default Re: How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device?

Thanks Andy! By VCP, did you mean Virtual Comm Port? Just checking. Thanks again for all your help. Now, I've got a starting point with you and Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I would think a standalone TS to Arduino connection would be more desirable, but if you want to run it with a computer, the simplest way would be to read the data from the VCP created by the windows driver and fire that out the VCP created for the Arduino. To and from the drivers in the computer, they are just like serial (COM) ports.

Blog Entries

Yes, Virtual COM port.
    -Andy.

9. Default Re: How can I access the raw data from the ThoughtStream USB device?

Can I use the PC jack on the TS USB unit to interface to Arduino?

I read this in TS documentation "The new Proteus now sports a USB cable for computer connectivity. In addition to operating system enhancements it can now be connected to the ThoughtStream Biofeedback System to use biofeedback readings to control programs."

That's what I want to do...."use biofeedback readings to control programs". All I'm interested in ohms/mho's or something to feed into Arduino, while I'm simultaneously viewing the display on the TS USB Interface software screen.

What is the wiring of the PC Proteus jack, please? Any other information on this jack available? Do you think I need isolation between jack and Arduino?

I'm pretty good with electronics, but not so knowledgeable on USB/RS232/VCP communication. I'm hoping the PC Proteus jack will give me some kind of data I can work with.

Please advise when you can. Thanks!!!

Blog Entries

I forgot about that jack! You might be able to use that to connect to the Arduino. I will check on the spec of that connection and get back to you.
    -Andy.

Thread Information