Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is ADHD invented?

1. Default is ADHD invented?

hi, there are scientists of reputation who claim that this disease is an invention of the pharmaceutical industry that generates millions of dollars of business, not been able to find any real proof of their existence, I would like to give me your opinion on the matter, and as opinion has no medical liability.
    a greeting.
    you will need some imagination for understand me, !I don?t speak english!

2. Default Re: is ADHD invented?

While I will agree that ADHD drugs are over prescribed, you cannot dispute the existence of the condition itself. While there is no definitive blood test that will confirm it, there are certain characteristics that are consistent with ADHD such as behavioral differences and an abundance of slow brainwave patterns. I don't like calling it a "disorder" or "disease", these folks are just wired differently. ADHD folks tend to be more creative, and will excel in areas that they find interesting. A look back in history will show the condition has always been there, but not recognized.

It's a shame that in this age when Junior has some behavior problems, or is not doing as well as their parents want him to do in school, they automatically blame it on ADHD and find a doctor to give them a prescription for Ritalin.

3. Default Re: it?s the ADHD an invent?

I understand you, though it?s a natural state of man, produces great difficulties who is so, but also has good things, but not whether they are worth the suffering caused by the social maladjustment of children "are so" the question is, if a natural state, can it be cured?.

4. Default Re: is ADHD invented?

Quote Originally Posted by filemon View Post
    I understand you, though it?s a natural state of man, produces great difficulties who is so, but also has good things, but not whether they are worth the suffering caused by the social maladjustment of children "are so" the question is, if a natural state, can it be cured?.
    I think, and this is my opinion, that it is a natural anomaly that just occurs. Because I do not think of it as a disease, there is no "cure". It would be like someone who is short trying to find a cure for shortness, so they can fit in better with the larger population that is taller.

ADHD folks just operate differently. There are drugs that will help in some aspects, but the biggest relief is the realization that they are different, and things should modified to allow personal growth for those who don't fit in the round hole. If someone is short, they may need a smaller desk, and a step to write on the chalkboard. Considerations should also be made for ADHD kids, because they are not like the other kids in class much the same way.

Blog Entries

Default Re: is ADHD invented?

What happens in the brain with ADD and ADHD, is that the theta waves tend to dominate and the SMR (lower beta) are suppressed. This has been proven. AVS machines are really good tools to use in helping readjust this balance. I use just the sound part of the AVS machine (Procyon at the moment) while I sit at my desk. I do two sessions of P.6 (sound only) and I'm good to go for a few days. I've found that my concentration ability does increase if I use the machine regularly. What also increases is my depth of thinking (I'm able to comprehend and think at a deeper level than usual). Brain wave stimulation (via AVS or or AS) have been used by multiple therapists (Anna Wise wrote a book on it) in treating ADD/ADHD with good results.

In addition to AV/S, diet is important as there are many things that we can eat that will affect our ability to concentrate and with kids especially. If someone has problems with behavior or concentrating, I'd look at diet first and make those changes and then add AVS, and then if that wasn't enough, I would look to pharmaceuticals.

I use both the AVS machine and the drugs. I have a bit of a different condition than just straight ADD and so I benefit from the combination of drugs and AVS. I don't need as high of a dosage probably because of the AVS.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

I believe ADD and ADHD exist and I do believe that some people are wired differently like brewmasher said. I believe though that at the end of the day we're all in control of our destiny and like some people need glasses to drive at night, people with a unique attention span need a tool as well to overcome the socially magnified disorder. Maybe AVS is the answer for children. Does anyone from MindPlace have any information on the subject of children and AVS therapy ? I also think meditation in several different forms should be introduced to children at a young age. Adults on the other hand have options other than drugs and any adult with ADHD should consider one of them.

7. Default Re: is ADHD invented?

really your contributions are helping me, there seems ADHD is real , and therefore we can do something about it, if I am physically weak, being a natural state, I can be stronger (which is also a natural state) if workout in a gym.
    Unfortunately, it is not practical require to the community to adapt those who are different, does not work, we are who have to adapt to society, at least in appearance, for not to be subject to the mismatch. that hasmany problems , whether fair or unfair, so the world works.
    I hope you understand me a greeting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMod View Post
    I believe ADD and ADHD exist and I do believe that some people are wired differently like brewmasher said.
    It definitely exists as a brain condition. The problem that has occurred is that there were unqualified people making the diagnosis and so you had general physicians drugging kids that didn't actually have ADD. A teacher is qualified to teach not diagnose brain or mental conditions. There are other forms of learning disorders and behavioral disorders that are not ADD and require different treatment. In there lies one of the problems. Also, a lot of behavioral problems are caused by food. Some kids are more sensitive to things like food coloring or sugar than other kids. You give a kid a pop, juice or energy drink for lunch on top of cookies or other sweets or simple carbs (that break down to sugar quickly) like chips and you have a behavioral problem after lunch. You give anyone that much sugar and expect them to sit still and learn ... not going to happen.

I believe though that at the end of the day we're all in control of our destiny and like some people need glasses to drive at night, people with a unique attention span need a tool as well to overcome the socially magnified disorder. Maybe AVS is the answer for children. Does anyone from MindPlace have any information on the subject of children and AVS therapy ? I also think meditation in several different forms should be introduced to children at a young age. Adults on the other hand have options other than drugs and any adult with ADHD should consider one of them.
    There is a higher risk in children to seizures and so they should be screened by a doctor before something like AVS is tried. If the doctor gave the okay on the kid using AVS, the lights should be turned down and the child should be monitored.

Children's EEGs are naturally slower than adults, which means that they will not have the same capabilities for attention. The only way to know if the child's EEG is unnatural and there is a problem is to have them tested. You don't want to mess around with a developing brain.

There have been good results with AVS treating ADD in teenagers. The brain is still developing but they have grown past the point where the EEG is normal at Theta. Theta is a hallmark sign of ADD in adults. So, at some point in development the brain switches from Theta to SMR during waking hours. In people with ADD, that switch doesn't occur and AVS can help with that.

The following are some of my notes which are taken from the book, "Quantitative EEG and Neurofeedback" by James R. Evans and Andrew Abarbanel.

Pg. 105 - ADD is selective - not global. "These children are not necessarily distractible; they are mainly destractible when doing tasks they don't see the point of doing.

The child with ADD lives in the moment and is unable to perceive rewards (future rewards for work done now). The child does not process consequences of his behavior.

ADD is not curable - it's manageable. It doesn't go away when the child becomes an adult. It's a life long neurological disorder.

Pg. 106 - ADD is reflected in how the person processes information. The point of view in working with this disorder using neurofeedback is that if we can change the underlying neurology, perhaps we can affect a more long term change in the disorder.

[MB: Behavior therapy is also necessary. The person needs to learn how to manage his or her own neural process].

Re: Medication (still page 106) - The theory of medication is to alter the distribution of neurotransmitters, especially dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain. The thing is - medication does not cure the problem. As soon as the person stops taking the meds, the problem returns.

Pg. 108 - There are different types or subtypes of ADD - each requires different treatment.

So ... AVS can help but before one jumps to putting it on their kid because the kid is hyper or easily distracted, it would be wise to rule out diet and other environmental causes of the behavior first. If the kid is sensitive to sugar and is reacting to that and you put an AVS machine on that kid - you wouldn't get good results.

When it comes to the brain and behavior, it's rarely a simple solution that can be fixed by changing one thing. Often it requires a number of changes.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

9. Default Re: is ADHD invented?

steve impressive witness, unfortunately very common, we know that human beings have capabilities far beyond what we believe, the problem is put into place, the first thing we need to know what the problem is and then how to solve it, in my opinion is in forums like this where you can get it if people "who know" are provided to help, as well here as, the "official circles" have economic interests (pharmaceutical, medical, etc) and I fear that we have cheated.

I wish I could explain me in a couple paragraphs but there's no way, I'm sure we could all say the same thing.
    I was diagnosed with ADD when I was in my early teens. ADD was just starting to become known, before that it was just called mild hyperactivity, ADHD was called hyperactivity and treated with Ritalin period and still is unfortunately. No one did anything about my ADD though, everyone just used it as an easy answer for my poor performance. My father was told by the school psychologist that someone has to be the janitor (no offense to janitors), when I heard that I just started rebelling and my dad lost all faith in my future and we were distant for the rest of his life. In grade school when they did the IQ tests I would fill in the circles randomly and of course be done 2 1/2 hours before everyone else, the teachers knew it to. After 3 years of that they brought my parents in and told them that I was mildly retarded based on my IQ scores. I thought it was funny then and I laugh about it now, my dad even protested loudly (I was there) and said that there had to be something wrong with the tests because he knew that I wasn't retarded. It was a different time then. My parents would have coffee with neighbors or friends occasionally at 10pm or 11pm and I'd be right there with them filling half my cup with sugar and cream and the other half with coffee, and do it several times......and no one cared or thought that might be a problem at 11 years old. My point is that activities like that went on all the time. My diet was made up of 3/4 sugar and 1/8 caffeine everyday. No one said, hey, maybe that's the problem, they just said hey, you're bad, and I believed them, and that's how my whole young life went. I'm 50 years old now and the success level of my life is definitely a product of those times. As an adult though, I identified those problems and corrected them. I just wish I would have known then what I know now. I've been an over achiever for about 20 years now. I'm a self taught electronics engineer, I built a lab in my home, most days I design and build circuits for hours and hours, I have a micro controller/processor portion of the lab where I write programs and experiment with robotics. A few years before my dad died I demonstrated for him a robot that I built, it took me 2 years to build it, he was impressed, I was glad I was able to show him.
    I've been a vegan for 15 years but I identified the relationship of diet and success 25 years ago and I certified as a fitness trainer and nutritionist and I was an Amateur bodybuilder for 10 years. I would say that diet is one reason for ADD/ADHD and probably one of the main reasons. I don't try to help people anymore, I'm a dedicated misanthrope to some extent but there's a lot of kids out there that need real guidance concerning their future success and it's relationship with ADD/ADHD. I hope someone helps them.

Thread Information