Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about The Monroe Institute?

Default What about The Monroe Institute?

Are they using Mind Machines like the Procyon at the Institute, during their workshops? And, if not, why do they use only the sound without LEDs? Finally, could the Procyon be used to achieve "paranormal" states of consciousness (e.g. OOBEs)?
    Thanks in advance for your insights and points of view about this topic!

Blog Entries

Default Re: What about The Monroe Institute?

The Monroe Institute products are based around complex binaural beat layers. It is an audio only technology. I'm not aware of them using other devices in workshops or otherwise. Robert I believe has attended some of these so he would know more. Here is a journal of someone who attended the Gateway session http://whitecrowbooks.com/features/p...e._by_johnny_b

Yes, mind machines are excellent tools for the creation of non-ordinary states of consciousness. They facilitate an inner environment that is ideal for the exploration of controlled, repeatable experimentation. They have the extra advantage of being programmable, that is 'tunable' to your specific needs and sweet spots.

There are no known 'magic' sessions or frequencies that will work for all people all the time. (no matter what marketers say). There are ranges of frequencies and specific practices that increase the likelihood of such experiences.
    Last edited by neuroasis; 03-10-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Yes the Procyon could be used as a tool to enter into a state of altered consciousness. An ASC can be a minor disorientation or feeling of dissociation or it can be a "shamanic experience". How these things are perceived, depends on the user.

Is it guaranteed to happen. No but the chances of creating the state can improve with practice. It's like lucid dreaming - for some people it can happen quite easily and some tools make it happen easily and for others ... not so much.

For one who believes in the paranormal, there are many ways to invoke an altered state of consciousness. The reason that something like an AVS machine can be used is because these sorts of experiences tend to happen when our brains enter a hypnotic state or dream state and the corresponding brainwaves to that state would be alpha/theta with some SMR interjected. Several of the programs on the Procyon have this combination.

I'm familiar with some of the work the Monroe Institute does but have never tried their products. Having said that - brain wave entrainment works on the same principles which are an outside source producing a similar frequency that occurs in the brain and hopes to coax the brain into synchronizing with the desired frequency. There are a couple of methods of doing this - frequency matching sound or light. Studies show light to be a stronger influence than sound but sound also does work. The key is the frequencies and the brain being receptive to the process.

Hope this helps a bit. :-)
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thanks Scott and Marisa. The article on the Gateway experiences at TMI is really interesting, it seems like such experiences are real, at least in the people's imagination. I sometimes use the Procyon during Qi Gong exercises and I must confess it works as a facilitator during the relaxation process. However, I never experienced OOBEs or other "paranormal" state of consciousness. I have read in the Internet about MKUltra and other projects in the past, but honestly I do not know how much of true there is in all of these stories. Do you know of serious scientific experiments/pubblications that prove such paranormal activities and, furthermore, their correlation to binaural technology and mind machines? I have recently read and enjoyed Thomas Campbell's "My Big TOE". I was very impressed by this theory, it seems like everything fits in it. Did you read it and what are your opinions about?

Play this music with Procyon, see how it goes. It seems to have audiostrobe kind of effect.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEeX-6V-Xr4

Wow, welcome to the rave party! Thanks mctxp

Blog Entries

You will want to read about Ganzfeld experiments... here is the Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganzfeld_experiment . There has been much research in the past with psychedelic drugs and the brain is capable of synthesizing some of these on its own or very close correlates (which is why they work as they do) Some interesting accessible material in this regard is DMT: The Spirit Molecule either book or dvd . Also available for streaming on Netflix or Amazon Video.

Many of the same states of consciousness are achievable with meditation in a more controlled and less risky fashion.

I like the book TOE very much and think it is an excellent step toward a unified theory...
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mctxp View Post
    Play this music with Procyon, see how it goes. It seems to have audiostrobe kind of effect.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEeX-6V-Xr4
    Music that has patterned high frequencies like cymbals or hi hats can often trigger nice AudioStrobe patterns without being specifically encoded.

Thanks Scott, very interesting indeed. Following your suggestion, I've just ordered the Kindle edition of the book, "The Spirit Molecule"

I've been using Monroe's Hemi-Sync since the late 80s, primarily for hospice work (the Going Home series) and sleep induction. According to my understanding, they don't use light because of legal liability issues with people who may have undiagnosed epileptic or other seizure conditions. Haven't been to the Institute, but it's definitely on my bucket list.

Can the Procyon be used to create "paranormal" or altered states of consciousness (ASCs)? Yes, absolutely. But be warned. Deep exploration of the Unconscious Mind should not be done in a trivial or frivolous way, and should include guidance from someone very knowledgeable. There be dragons here.

If you're interested in witnessing Bob Monroe's evolution from rather clueless communications engineer, to one of the world's foremost authorities on ASCs, read his three books, Journeys Out of the Body (1971), Far Journeys (1985), and Ultimate Journey (1994), in the order in which he wrote them. Although he has a sometimes annoying tendency to invent his own words, we have to remember that he's writing about things for which there are no words in English (they DO exist in Sanskrit). By the end of the third book, you'll see how he went from confused newbie, to carefully describing a sophisticated system of understanding which rivals that of Tibetan Buddhism. Definitely worth the effort, if you're interested in human "anomalous" experience.

Thread Information