Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split field question

1. Default Split field question

Hi Guys. I have a quick question about split fields on these glasses (procyon). I have read through many many threads here and general information on the topic and m a bit confused about two things.

I do understand that the procyon set does not offer split field function. I have been under the impression that this is a rather important function for synchronization of the two brain hemispheres (not 'unit specific', but in general). I am also under the impression that, as far as actual therapeutic concerns go, full RGB spectrums are more for a pleasant “experience” and not necessarily as critical for solid results as splitting fields. So why choose full color, over fields?

Im a bit confused as to why this feature is not on the procyon set. Is it merely a technical limitation due to the increase in light sources in the glasses, or is it in the unit itslef? And if so, is it possible to “convert down” the procyon to two, or even a single channel of light in order to split fields? (sort of lighten the load so you can split the fields)

I'm relatively new to all of this so perhaps im missing something, and most of the desired therapy can be found without split field options? Again, I was always under the impression splitting fields was one of the main reasons to use such a device, and the pulse modulations were secondary, and color was third.

Thanks for the help and I love the forum. Customer support and user base are extremely impressive! Cant wait to get my unit.
    Last edited by Flipnap; 01-20-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: logic problem

Blog Entries

Default Re: Split field question

Hello and welcome!

Others may offer their opinions and advice regarding mono colour vs 2 colour vs RGB/Ganzfeld, etc. but from a purely technical standpoint, the Procyon can drive mono-colour Left/Right lightframes, which MindPlace also sells. The connections on the Procyon limit the outputs to 3 channels (R/G/B).
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Split field question

Hi andy, great to hear from you. Interesting. So the field option is built into the glasses themselves? or can you program the procyon to treat (temporarily of course) the RGB glasses as if they were mono? im just not clear if its hardware or a software issue. If the output on the procyon unit itself can drive split fields on mono frames, then can it not "fake it" for RGB?

thanks again..

Blog Entries

I'm assuming when you say split fields you mean Left/Right?

If so, if you purchase any mono-colour frames from MindPlace, the red/green signals will drive the left/right LEDs in the Mono-Colour frames respectively.

The RGB frames that come with the Procyon are not wired with left and right separated. Only the 3 colours are separate signals on the RGB frames. e.g. When a RED signal is sent to the RGB frames, the Left and right red LED come on.

When a RED signal is sent to Mono-Colour frames, the Left LED comes on, when the GREEN signal is sent to the Mono-Colour frames, the Right LED comes on. (I might have it backwards, but RED/GREEN drive LEFT/RIGHT on the mono-colour frames).

Check out www.mindplace.com/ganzframes - the Sapphire, Ruby, White and Amber lightframes are all Mono-Colour and wired Left/Right.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

5. Default Re: Split field question

wow, thanks again. yes, by split field i mean left right. And this perfectly answers my question about the technical aspects, and thats what i really wanted to know. I have a procyon on the way tomorrow! cant wait. (also bought a thoughtstream)

Thanks again for your help. Best wishes to all and have an amazing weekend!

6. Default Re: Split field question

Cool! I did not know that. So is it possible to create a asymmetrical audiostrobe session with Mind Workstation? Create one AS track to drive red, and another AS track to drive green?

Blog Entries

Wow, I didn't know that either! I just tested it and it works... Works with separate stimulation for left and right with AudioStrobe. Both with NP3 and MWS.... All new possibilities.... love it!
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

8. Default Re: Split field question

This has my interest, but my problem is my Procyon uses the REV 2 frames, and my single color frames are the 3.5 mm plug. Is there a converter, or can I construct a square plug to 3.5 mm plug converter?

Blog Entries

See the sticky at the top of this forum...
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...frame-Adapters
    -Andy.

Hi Flipnap,

You may like to take a look at this article by Robert Austin about Tom Budzynski. Budzynski found that whilst you could entrain the hemispheres separately, it was a very short-lived state:

"...at that time Tom was conducting some EEG research with ‘Hemifield’ stimulation – that is, using a single light in the far left and far right visual fields, active while the user was looking straight ahead. With this arrangement, it’s possible for the left light to stimulate only the right visual cortex and vice versa, with the goal of preferentially altering one hemisphere’s activity. He found that this could only work for a few seconds before the two hemispheres ‘snapped back’ into a common rhythm, however."

So even though independent left-right stimulation is a feature of some glasses/machines (and some manufacturers even offer unique hardware configurations that target the left-right visual fields instead of just the individual eyes) that doesn't mean such machines can actually achieve independent hemispheric entrainment in any meaningful way.

If Budzynski's research is correct, then independent hemispheric AVS may be a blind alley. That's not to say that independent hemisphere AVS sessions don't have any therapeutic value at all - just that their overall effect may be much the same (or perhaps less effective) than directing a single frequency at both eyes.

As a quick example, directing alpha frequencies into the left visual field, and beta into the right visual field (a typical "antidepressant" protocol for calming the right hemisphere and stimulating the left) may actually be less effective than a session that provides a range of high alpha and mid beta frequencies directed at both eyes.

As ever, it'd be nice if we had more research to compare and contrast all these different approaches to AVS, but I personally prefer (and think the existing research supports) single frequency entrainment rather than trying to simultaneously target different hemispheres.

Just something to bear in mind - and I think you'll find the Procyon a fantastic little machine

All the best,

Joseph
    Last edited by Joseph Kao; 01-23-2012 at 04:24 AM.
    Joseph Kao DHypPsych(UK)
    Try my free hypnosis mp3s and videos at
    www.exploringtrance.com

Thread Information