Thread: bAd

1. Default bAd

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from 2.3 - the firmware which shipped with my proteus unit - to 2.51. However, it's not working out!

I receive the following error message from the unit = bAd

Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Default Re: bAd

Are you able to control the Proteus with the editor by clicking "View Realtime" and click "Run segment"?

Try lowering the serial port speed (Data Transfer Rate under the "Serial Port" menu).

3. Default Re: bAd

Yes, I can control by running the segmnt. I also tried lowering the speed of serial port. No change. I tried installing the 2.3 over my current version, but then nothing happens. In editor 2.3 and 2.4 I only have comm port 3 available, but in 2.51 I can access port 14 ... ?! It appears comm port 3 does not accept my attempts to upgrade the firmware ...

Blog Entries

Are you using a USB->Serial adaptor? These can be troublesome. If possible, try and find a PC that has a proper serial port.

5. Default Re: bAd

Yes. I am using a USB to serial. I didn't know that there still were computers around with comm ports ... ? Sort of kidding ... but what other alternative is there? Say I am unable to find such a computer ...

Blog Entries

Here's a dumb question - you do have the Proteus set to dL mode, correct?

To answer your question, your other option would be to find another USB->serial adaptor. Depends what's easier for you - finding someone with an older computer or finding another adaptor. If you find a computer with an actual RS-232 port that will eliminate the possbility of a problem with the connection between the PC and Proteus.

7. Default Re: bAd

Yes Andy, Proteus is in dl mode. How would I be able to determine that a different USB > serial would work. The one I have is 232 compliant and was not cheap ... roughly $45 ...

If I can control Proteus in realtime, then I should be able to upgrade, no? That's my pitch towards a dumb question

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by labhead View Post
    Yes Andy, Proteus is in dl mode. How would I be able to determine that a different USB > serial would work. The one I have is 232 compliant and was not cheap ... roughly $45 ...
    I agree. If you're in North America, places like Best Buy, Circuit City and so on have these 30day no-questions-asked return policies so you could buy one, try it, and return it if it doesn't work. Not a great solution, I know, but it's not easy to determine which chipset and driver the generic USB->RS232 adaptors may contain, even if they're from a known brand name.

If I can control Proteus in realtime, then I should be able to upgrade, no? That's my pitch towards a dumb question
    You'd think so, wouldn't you! One more thing to try before you go shopping - follow along with this (just the com port setting part, not the driver part and try what TheRock suggests in post #7 http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...?p=215#post215

Let me know if that does anything. Use the latest editor to do the firmware update. There's no advantage to using 2.4, and 2.3 has it's own problems...

9. Default Re: bAd

Thank you for following up on this. In the meanwhile I was able to resolve my issue! I was trying to update via my USB 2.0 Hub, and then attempted to plug the unit directly via my USB port on my computer ... After a few attempts, I actually managed to upgrade the unit to 2.5. Then after a few more attempts, I managed to upload the revised complex sessions as well! Might be a useful tip to other users ...

PHEW! What a pain ...

Since then, however, I think the sound from the unit sounds different ... Is that possible? Could it be the batteries which are running out? The lower frequency / pitch sounds seem slightly clipped / distorted ... Hard to describe, it's quite subtle ... On the other hand the sounds I was experiencing from the display lights blinking have now been resolved ...

Is this simply a case of "win some, loose some" ... ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by labhead View Post
    Thank you for following up on this. In the meanwhile I was able to resolve my issue! I was trying to update via my USB 2.0 Hub, and then attempted to plug the unit directly via my USB port on my computer ... After a few attempts, I actually managed to upgrade the unit to 2.5. Then after a few more attempts, I managed to upload the revised complex sessions as well! Might be a useful tip to other users ...
    Damn. Never thought to mention that. USB hubs cause all sorts of problems and should always be bypassed if you're having USB issues. I have several things that won't work when connected to a hub but work fine when connected directly. You didn't mention that you were using a hub and I didn't think to ask! Glad you got it resolved, though!

Since then, however, I think the sound from the unit sounds different ... Is that possible? Could it be the batteries which are running out? The lower frequency / pitch sounds seem slightly clipped / distorted ... Hard to describe, it's quite subtle ...
    Try fresh batteries and/or plug it in if you have the AC adapter. There should be no change in the sound of the unit.

Thread Information