Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New user with first impressions

Default New user with first impressions

Hi everyone. I am returning to the world of light-sound stimulation after 7 year hiatus.

I have been experimenting with l-s machines for nearly 30 years. I stopped because I got bored, my brain was habituated and nothing new was happening.

I still think this technololgy lags 20 years or so behind other portable electronic devices. Now bluetooth, wifi, streaming media, wireless headphones are standard. As well, this device should be lithium rechargeable.

The editor should not look like it was conceived in DOS and the advertising for features like Synchromuse and colored Ganzfield would be better worded as geeky options if you want to spend hours experimenting.

I read every post since the beginning of this forum in 2006, and little if anything is different nearly 6 years later. It's not mind place in particular I'm disappointed with, it is the whole industry. Where is the promised innovation and user friendliness? And by "user friendliness" I mean both software and hardware.

One more idea: why not a dial on the machine to add or remove color on the fly, that would really bring in the fun.

I had to get that off my chest so I could get to the positive stuff I am appreciative for and a few comments about early on exploration.

The size and elegance of the Procyon is miles ahead of heavy black multi-buttoned machines of the
    past. One point I have not seen noted is that the kickstand can snap onto a shirt pocket while reclining to keep wires separated and let you have the unit within arms reach for easy sound and light intensity alteration.

I have only experimented with a few programs but they have been great.

I'm glad the 10 sec. get ready part is omitted.

My first session, #25, led me into state of easy, deep sleep. colors were rich, tone could be adjusted to right level easily,enjoyed first sojourn very much.

Next morning used #29, and could stumble out of bed for first cup of coffee!

Could not resist random #00. That was a joyride of swirling colors and way too much to describe. If that could only be done manually....

Mid day I tried Rejuvenation #37. This was my sweetspot: colored balls spinning around central post clockwise and then with a blink counterclockwise, in addition my mind was filled with original ideas, humorous insights and then the phone rang. I popped out of the entrainment no worse for the startle. I gazed outside and the sky seemed surreal-- so close.

Night time about 10pm used night voyager #27.
    Enjoyed bathing in shimmering green light and... goodnight. Awoke still hooked up. Finally up well rested 5 hours later.

I am very much enjoying this gadget and noticing every use how much more aware I am becoming of subtle different states of consciousness.

I want to say thanks to Robert, Andy, Marisa, Neuroasis, TomC, CraigT and other contributors for the info I have gleaned to get the Light-Sound adventure going again!

And gratitude also goes to Anji for her great customer service and speedy overnight shipping!

Blog Entries

Default Re: New user with first impressions

Hello Hecolobus1 and welcome to the forum!

It's great to hear that you are getting back into Light and Sound. Honestly, I did the same thing with a big involvement early in the introduction of the technology and then a hiatus for a number of years.

Concerning the seeming lag. It is a valid observation. However, you have to take into account that you are dealing with very small manufacturing companies with limited resources and budgets. These are genius engineers but custom microchips, oled displays, wireless technology are very expensive in small production runs. The devices you see coming out are almost always from a small number of huge manufacturers: Apple, LG, Samsung, Microsoft, Sony and so on. Billion dollar companies, all of them.

It is not that MindPlace doesn't want to or won't, it is just allowing these technologies to trickle down into the realm of the commonplace and affordable. Significant progress has occurred in this in the last couple of years.

MindPlace strives to make the machines affordable for everyone. This is a primary goal.

Now I am the most geeky person you can imagine and I dig all my little tools and toys and love to stay on the cutting edge. However, what we are really talking about is a high precision delivery of flashing LEDs, synched with sound. The real technology is your brain. LCD screens, wireless headphones, online connectivity and so forth is really nice but it is not required for the experience. What is required are comfortable, bright glasses and precise controllable frequency delivery.

What I have seen most lacking in the industry is session creation and moving the 'art form' forward. The original inventor of the Dreamachine Brion Gysin said something to the effect, "that the final form of art will be viewed with closed eyes". I believe that. That is what I have decided to change to the best of my abilities. It doesn't happen overnight and I certainly cannot do it alone. I would love to get people more involved and creating works of their own.

More great things are coming, I promise you that and I am very happy for your insights and participation....all of you!

Enjoy the ride,
    Scott
    Last edited by neuroasis; 01-09-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Thanks for the welcome, Scott. I will try to make my future posts more reasonable and on purpose to the current capabilities of the Procyon. Will

Blog Entries

Hi Wil,
    As mentioned your comments are very reasonable and it is good to be able to address things in the open air. Lots of people have these impressions and we work very hard to do what time and budget allows. We are all big dreamers and want the coolest gizmos possible. At the end of the day though, we want a machine that does what it promises. If you put in the work (which is fun) it will reap rewards for years to come.

One of the greatest things about the MindPlace machines is that with care the consoles last for years and years and years. Original Synetics machines are still in use to this day. There are hardly any posts on this forum that say 'my machine is broken' or I got 'a malfunctioning unit'. Mostly, it is software stuff and issues with the computer or the drivers. The cords on the glasses could have problems over time maybe if dropped or pulled or something.

That is a track record that MindPlace is proud of. Any new releases and technology that is incorporated must live up to this standard.

Rock on!

Blog Entries

Will,
    I really like posts like yours. They get to the core of many issues. On user friendliness... that can certainly be improved and I have some things in the works that will go a long way to ease the learning curve. I can't possibly think of everything of course and when someone looks at something with fresh eyes it can make all the difference. It is hard for us to go back to the beginning and understand what is easy and what is hard. So your (and everyone's) suggestions and experiences will be very much appreciated and taken into consideration.

Scott.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Scott, thanks for your aditional responses I am glad to be aboard for the ride. I think I came on board at an exciting time just when the Synchromuse videos are coming to completion and Soundcloud is filling with new material. I look forward to new levels of exploration.

Yesterday I only made time for one session, #24 at bedtime.Nothing to report except I awoke again having to unwire. What a great sleep aid! And my dreams seem more dramatic and colorful. Will out.

7. Default Re: New user with first impressions

I have to agree with Scott that this industry is largely small independent companies filling the needs of a small demographic. BWE and AVS are still not recognized by the general public, regardless at the scientific proof of it's usefulness. Corporations with mega $$ would rather invest in drugs that can generate much more $$ that a device that can be purchased once and used the rest of your life. I also believe that if this technology would be useful to the military, loads of research and development would be invested.

That being said, there are advancements such as affordable personal EEG devices (which are developed and marketed mostly as a gaming device) that show that industry is interested in this type of equipment. If it catches on and money is being made, big business will follow.

If only we could have gotten Oprah hooked on AVS!

More program first use impressions:

Got tired early last night and went to bed around 9pm. Hooked up for #49, Pyromania but was too tired to appreciate it. That will take a replay. Moved to a 60 min. meditation program, #19 remember little of this for I was soon in dream-filled sleep and later had to unhook.

I awoke about 3:30am and decided to do another wakeup program
    to see if again a burst of beta got the juices flowing. This time I went with #28 and sat upright for the 10 min. session. Visuals were colorful and kaleidoscopic and return to room awareness was easy. I felt inspired to get up and clean the dishes. Nice fresh start to the day.
    Will out.

Blog Entries

I agree. First thing in the morning sessions are great stimulants. They also work very well for focusing thought on the tasks ahead. Mind machines are primarily thought of and marketed as 'meditation' devices. In reality they are very good for stimulation as well.

Default More program first uses

My original idea was to blog my impressions/results of all the 51 inbuilt sessions in numerical ascending order but that was just too repetitious and all I was measuring was time differences. So I changed tack and now am starting with lowest number in each grouping for maximum contrast.

#1 Lights were mostly busy reds with some orange and yellow and on full intensity both light and sound my mind was a chatterbox. When it was over I did feel more focussed.

#15 Everything about this session was different, easy alpha entrainment, softer, gentler light patterns, more colors, mind more playful, appreciated sharp light and sound ramp transitions because each time I became a little more conscious and a time or too was awakened from sleep.

#9,#9,#9...... Quick and lively light changes, much volume spread, engaging like I would imagine piloting a space ship would be. The 15 minutes went fast and I found myself ready to be active. Will out.

Thread Information