Thread: The original frequencies?

Default The original frequencies?

I found this on Youtube today and thought it might be interesting to the right people here. Interesting to hear what you have to say on it too of course!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oSeP...eature=related

This made me want to go live on my Procyon and ask it for the frequencies one after the other....

Blog Entries

Default Re: The original frequencies?

I took a quick look at it and have to leave in a minute so I will go back to it later. I just wanted to make a quick comment that what this person is saying falls more under philosophy (spirituality, New Age) than science. Having said that, I'm not dismissing chanting or various sounds as irrelevant because various patterns of sounds (which contain frequencies) have various affects on a person's mood or state of mind. Chanting and drumming are two of the methods used to invoke trance or trance like states and once in those states - things can happen.

The problem with a claim that specific frequencies do specific things is that each brain interprets frequencies slightly different so where 10hz (for example) may invoke the release of serotonin in one person (9 or 11hz) may invoke that same change in another.

I think some of the other claims should be further investigated and verified. He makes a claim about geneticists using a certain frequency to alter DNA - this needs further investigation.

Anyway, gotta run but will come back to this later. Thanks again and I hope others join in on the discussion.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Hmmm yeah the "repairing DNA" thing caught my ear too. I didn't think we could even begin to actually REPAIR a damaged DNA strand....

Strange. I visited this same Youtube link yesterday. I have to agree with Marisa that the claims on these frequencies are more geared to the "spiritual" side of the coin. I guess it all depends on what your beliefs are. Some religions are strongly against any form of hypnosis and meditation,linking those things to occult practice. I like to keep an open mind and I find this whole light and sound exploration so damn exciting. Thanks for posting that!

Blog Entries

I'm wondering if there is a general misconception about "frequencies" relating to brainwaves?

If one looks up EEG or brainwaves in any reliable textbook, they'll find that the only frequencies discussed are those that fall between 0.5 hz and 50 Hz. The information (from reliable sources) on any of the four (or five if you include gamma) groups of frequencies is pretty consistent.

We start running in trouble when we are looking at information regarding frequencies outside of the "normal" range for brainwaves. The frequencies associate with sound (what we can hear, which is between 20 - 20,000 Hz) and light (what we can see, 400 - 790 THz) may seem related to BWF because we use pulsing light and sound as a method of entrainment. The key is the "pulsing" part of a carrier method (light or sound) not the object itself (color of light or tone of sound).

EEG recordings of brainwave activity outside of the "normal" range (1-20 Hz) is considered to be an artifact - which means the recorded activity is coming from a source outside of the brain. Artifacts do not influence brainwave activity itself.

Music is a mixture of frequencies and rhythmic music is a mixture of sound waves which are mathematically related. While music, like any sound, can influence our mood or state of mind - it's effect on EEG is more indirect (via emotions) than a more direct method such as AVS. Gregorian chants or rhythmic drumming are often associated with inducing a trance state (Theta) - it is the repeated rhythm not the frequency that creates the change in mind state. There is a relationship between the two influencing factors but the relationship is more of a correlation instead of causation.

The Solfeggio numbers that are referred to in the video are outside the range of EEG - however, the proponents of this belief system reduce the numbers, though a method commonly used by numerologists which consists of adding up each number and therefore creating a relationship between the larger number and it's broken down component. So, for example, Solfeggio number UT = 396 = 3 + 9 + 6 = 18 = 1 + 8 = 9 Hz. Again, this may look like a valid correlation or relationship between 396 and 9 but it really isn't outside of numerology.

The Solfeggio numbers broken down through the numerology method are Ut = 9, Re = 3, Mi = 6, Fa = 9, Sol = 3, La = 6. These numbers do fall into the Delta, Theta, Alpha range but then so do all numbers reduced to a single digit via the numerological method.

Fibonacci numbers are a bit more cool (mathematically), one reason being that they are comprised of a sequence of numbers compiled by adding the previous two numbers and these sequences relate to mathematical formulas that show repetition in nature (such as branches on a tree and other fractals). So, for example the Fibonacci sequence: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 is created by adding 0 + 1 = 1, 1 + 1 = 2, 1 + 2 = 3, 2 + 3 = 5 and so on. Unfortunately, it isn?t really relevant to the science of EEG.

Numerology is not science, it is a philosophical belief system and while that belief system can be useful in that it creates a symbolic relationship between two or more things; it?s important not to confuse a symbolic relationship with an actual relationship.

These are my thoughts on the subject, please feel free to add yours.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Gotcha. That's really interesting that and it also shines a little light on where I need to begin in my session building Such an elegant way of saying "religious mumbo jumbo" too lol Thanks for that The clarity of your words is inspiring...

Thread Information