Thread: Latest Procyon OS and revision and volume control.

Default Latest Procyon OS and revision and volume control.

Hi,
    I received the Procyon for Christmas and I'm still experimenting with it. I wanted to check to see if I have the latest version of the operating system. When I turn it on, it comes up with 2.1.6. I ask because I've seen mention of a rev 3 and I wanted to check to see if I should have 3.something on my Procyon.
    Also, I was experimenting with some of the free AudioStrobe tracks from the SoundCloud. The manual says you can modulate the volume of external devices with the lower button but when I am in AS mode, the lower button toggles between analog and digital. It does seem to work in other modes like SES, though. I ask because I have to turn the volume of my mpeg player up rather high before the LEDs respond and I would like to turn the volume down using the Procyon while keeping the input from the mpeg player high to keep the LEDs running.

thanks for any and all help,
    Brian

Blog Entries

Default Re: Latest Procyon OS and revision and volume control.

Hello Brian;

2.1.6 is the latest OS for the Procyon.

The lower button toggles between Digital and Analog AS modes. This changes to the control of external volume when in Session mode.

The volume control when in Digital AS mode will adjust the sensitivity of the AS detector. Turning that up will allow you to lower the volume of the incoming audio signal.

In Analog AS mode, you will need to use the editor to increase the sensitivity of the AS detector.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thank you for your response, Andy. Just so I'm clear, when you say

'The volume control when in Digital AS mode will adjust the sensitivity of the AS detector. Turning that up will allow you to lower the volume of the incoming audio signal.'

Do you mean the volume control wheel at the top of the Procyon unit adjusts the sensitivity of the AS detector while the volume control on my mpeg device would control the volume of the incoming audio signal?

thanks for your help.

Brian

Blog Entries

Couple of other possibilities:

First off it appears that your mp3 is rolling off the high frequencies a lot. This is why you need to have the audio level so high to trigger the lights. Does your unit happen to have a built in eq? If so, raise the highest band on the equalizer graph and this should raise the level of the Audiostrobe signal without affecting the rest of the mix. If you don't have an internal eq you can do this in Audacity or some other music software. Just be careful when you output the file back to mp3 to choose 320kbps and the highest settings for the mp3.

Another option is to get a headphone extender cable with an inline volume control like this one: Koss VC20 Volume Control Then you can run this cable between the Procyon and the headphones and control the volume you hear without changing the level going into the Procyon.

BTW, my AudioStrobe files are made for the Analog mode and don't work nearly as well in the Digital mode.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
    Do you mean the volume control wheel at the top of the Procyon unit adjusts the sensitivity of the AS detector while the volume control on my mpeg device would control the volume of the incoming audio signal?
    That is correct, in Digital Mode. In Analog mode you would have to adjust the sensitivity via the Editor.
    -Andy.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Andy,
    Thanks for the clarification. I'll give it another try.

Neuroasis,
    Thanks for the advice. I'm using my Droid cellphone as my mpeg player so I don't think it has the equalizing functions but I'll check. You say your files work better in the analog mode but I could not get the LEDs to respond unless I switch to digital mode. I'll keep experimenting. I love your soundtracks - it must take a lot of effort to synchronize the sound with the lights. Thnaks for being so generous in sharing them.

Brian

Blog Entries

Do you know which version of Android you have? Is it 3.1 or above? The reason I ask is because if so then you can play FLAC files. I've got to tell everybody that mp3 with the technologies used in creating AudioStrobe and SynchroMuse is not a good fit at all. This is a primary reason for the some of the delays and issues with products. These audio files use inaudible high frequencies for control and mp3 just throws a lot of that away as junk. Works in most cases with music but not with control frequencies. I have been banging my head against a wall with this for 2 weeks now. Some devices work others don't.

We are going to have to move to better formats like FLAC for Android and many good portable players, AAC for iOS devices, and OGG seems to work too. WAV is a possibility on computers and some portables but it is HUGE in size.

Thanks everyone for testing and I thought I would just lay it all on the table. Your comments are very helpful while we continue to work all this out.
    If you know something I don't, speak up! If maybe I know something you don't, ask away!

Thread Information