Thread: Help for teenage son using drugs

1. Default Help for teenage son using drugs

I would really appreciate help with this one - my son has started using marijuana in a significant way. Maybe not such a big deal if you are an adult but a major issue for a teenager who is expecting to succeed in school and who still has a lot of brain development occurring. He has got beyond occasional usage and appears to be hooked on the buzz.
    My question is - does anyone have any experience of using a light/sound machine in getting someone away from drug usage - replacing the drug high with a less destructive one. Has anyone used this as a way to break a drugs habit?
    Any advice woud be deeply appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help for teenage son using drugs

Hi There,

There has been some research in the area of addictions and EEG and what was found is that people who have issues with addictions (of any kind) tend to be deficient in Alpha waves. AVS could be helpful to your son. The Proteus and Procyon both have programs that target Alpha waves and there have also been some programs written that target Alpha waves.

Hopefully your son is into trying something different and giving AVS a go. I don't think AVS alone will cure someone of addiction but it can help with cravings and give the brain direction. As you are probably aware, there are other layers of issues which need to be addressed and worked on if your son is to remain sober.

Warm regards,

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

3. Default Re: Help for teenage son using drugs

Thanks for that Marisa - I have been trawling around neurofeedback websites etc and it does look like Alpha waves are the issue. I have a Procyon on order - I had ordered it to use with Neuroprogrammer to enhance my meditation practice but it looks like he might get to use it. I am a very regular meditator ( almost compulsive) and I find the meditative state pretty compelling - I have looked at my EEG on one occasion while meditating and my alpha waves were through the roof. I wonder if i also have deficient alpha which I deal with by meditating while my son has the same issue which he is dealing with by using MJ. I read somewhere that a lot of addictions are a way of compensating for or a reaction to defciencies in neurotransmitters or out of balance brain wave states. maybe all this BWE, AVS or meditation stuff is a way of compensating or "self-medicating" for abnormal brain function.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help for teenage son using drugs

Quote Originally Posted by minddoc View Post
    I wonder if i also have deficient alpha which I deal with by meditating while my son has the same issue which he is dealing with by using MJ. I read somewhere that a lot of addictions are a way of compensating for or a reaction to defciencies in neurotransmitters or out of balance brain wave states. maybe all this BWE, AVS or meditation stuff is a way of compensating or "self-medicating" for abnormal brain function.
    Keep in mind that any kind of stress affects our serotonin levels, which in turn affect brain waves since brain waves reflect our state of mind. Low serotonin seems to be a common issue in society as there is way more stress these days and our brains haven't adapted (evolution) to these changes in life. I guess back in the cave days, stress was getting chased by wildlife - where as stress these days is a more complicated issue.

Anyway, I think we all could use more alpha. Enjoying an alpha session doesn't necessarily mean that you are deficient in that area. Since it is a pleasurable state, it's only natural that we would want more of it and can even crave it.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information