Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to hypnotize someone?

Default How to hypnotize someone?

Hi, just new here at mindplacesupport.. just wanna ask how to actually perform or hypnotize someone by means of conversational hypnosis? any suggestions?

2. Default Re: How to hypnotize someone?

Some folks believe President Obama does it all the time.

http://www.pennypresslv.com/Obama%27...s_Speeches.pdf

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to hypnotize someone?

Quote Originally Posted by brewmasher View Post
    Some folks believe President Obama does it all the time.

http://www.pennypresslv.com/Obama%27...s_Speeches.pdf
    You bring up an interesting point. I agree that many speeches (not just Obamas) when analyzed contain convincers (influential language) but I dispute the claim that Obama is trying to hypnotize people. In the next post, I'll explain why.

The purpose of communication is to provide information and unless it's a scientific paper, that information is intended to convince the audience that our point is valid. What's more commonly used in speeches, at least bad ones, are fallacies - which actually are more deceptive than the use of persuasive language. A fallacy tries to distract your attention from the issue and direct it some other way.

Look at the attached document and see if you can pick out some of the techniques Bush, Palin and many, many other politicians use to convince people of something.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Blog Entries

Another means of misdirection commonly employed in political discourse and newsspeak is the presupposition. Every President who has every used the phrase "God Bless the United States of America" is using a very overt presupposition. Just an example... It is a powerful tool for persuasion. Conversational hypnosis is a fascinating subject. Watch a few of the Derren Brown Mind Control shows if you want to see a professional illusionist do it in context.

Blog Entries

The best way to hypnotize someone in conversation is to tell them a story where the characters deliver the message you are intending. People must absolutely imagine themselves in place of the characters to understand what you are saying. And there is almost no resistance and you can say most anything...after all it is just a story.

Blog Entries

Here is a hypnotic story I just made up:

So, the other day, I was talking to my friend Johnny, who by the way is one of the kindest and most generous people I know and really smart too. He always thinks of other people before himself. Right? Now, listen, my brother and some friends were at a restaurant with good ole Johnny, actually it was Mexican food like this restaurant, and you must hear what he did. They ordered the best dishes on the menu and had this really fine imported beer...(describe the food in great detail) ... My brother was telling me that they were really living it up and feeling good about how great the restaurant was, how wonderful it felt to be able to benefit from such a marvelous meal and how friends are the most important thing and the good ones are always there to help you out and it just feels so wonderful to give even it when it comes as a surprise. I love surprises, you too? The most amazing thing is Johnny just took the bill and before any one could say anything, now Johnny is a success in many things but kind of like us with money, so Johnny took the bill and paid it for everyone...how kind, right?...so my brother just went on for days about how much that meant to him and how Johnny is one of the best friends he has ever had...that stuck with me and I remember it well...so great times... how much is the bill?

If you delivered it right and your body language and tone are congruent... they will pay.

Use it for good, not evil.
    Last edited by neuroasis; 05-17-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Blog Entries

As I mentioned before, there are many ways to influence someone in a conversation. Like most powerful things, this knowledge and set of techniques can be used to help people (for example, a paramedic at an accident using tone of voice and choice of words to keep patient calm) or to exploit people (a con artist talking a victim into investing money or buying a crappy product or service).

The word "hypnosis" can be misleading in subjects such as the one that started this thread - a politician using hypnosis in his/her speech. It's misleading in that it leads the reader to believe that something is being done against their will and/or without their knowledge. This line of thought is a gross exaggeration of the circumstance. Sure, the politician is wanting to convince the audience of his point but in this case, it's not hypnosis, even though elements of hypnotic language may be used (deliberately or not).

All good speeches are designed to influence the listener. A good, convincing speech will likely contain influential language. All advertisements contain influential language and/or images. Your friend trying to get you to buy dessert, if s/he convinces you - has used influential language. A guy trying to pick up a girl is using influential language. Sales, advertising and marketing are industries built around the use of influence.

Everyone goes in and out of hypnotic states many times during the day. A hypnotic or trance state can be as simple as someone not remembering the details of driving the last few miles home. It can occur while you are engrossed in a TV show or playing a video game. A trance state can be a focused state or it can be a passive state (zoning out). Hypnosis occurs if a suggestion is given while a person is in a trance state. Not all "hypnotic" suggestions work despite the eloquence of the speaker or writer.

All hypnosis is influential but not all that is influential is hypnosis.

M.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Blog Entries

Absolutely right Marisa. I see the form of 'conversational hypnosis' I am describing more as a persuasion technique rather than what we would recognize as true induction. However, there are a lot of anchors and triggers hidden in the intentional obtuse language and some phrases are meant to cause confusion or mind stopping responses. Everything of the above story is precise in structure and execution... even what seems to be mistakes or prattle. I think these techniques are what the OP was seeking?

BTW, I think these are underhanded tricks and it takes a really polished scam artist to pull it off congruently... but we were talking about politicians
    Last edited by neuroasis; 05-17-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mayer01 View Post
    Hi, just new here at mindplacesupport.. just wanna ask how to actually perform or hypnotize someone by means of conversational hypnosis? any suggestions?
    Hi Mayer,

I didn't really answer your question earlier ....

Yes it is possible but very unlikely because very few people can actually pull it off. The instruction may seem simple but the actual technique is not. What a lot of these sites are teaching are techniques of influence, which is not really hypnosis - it's more "sleight of mouth".

Courses like Critical Thinking are good because they teach you how to spot fallacies (misdirection and illusion) in arguments (discussions, conversations). It teaches you how to have a good bs meter.

A book I really enjoyed on the subject of influence is: Influence - Science and Practice by Robert B. Cialdini.
    A book on how to increase your conversational influence is: Sleight of Mouth by Robert Dilts (It's a bit involved but that really is what it takes to be good at it).

M.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis View Post
    Absolutely right Marisa. I see the form of 'conversational hypnosis' I am describing more as a persuasion technique rather than what we would recognize as true induction. However, there are a lot of anchors and triggers hidden in the intentional obtuse language and some phrases are meant to cause confusion or mind stopping responses.
    I saw those. Well done. :-) And, I agree ... or am I picking up the tab for dinner?

Everything of the above story is precise in structure and execution... even what seems to be mistakes or prattle. I think these techniques are what the OP was seeking?
    I thought about that after I wrote the answer and re-read his question but I figured that the other conversation was interesting as well so I left it in.

BTW, I think these are underhanded tricks and it takes a really polished scam artist to pull it off congruently... but we were talking about politicians
    I think they can be under-handed but are not always. I think about areas where they work really well, like in therapeutic situations (for example).

They are great tools in any relationship, not for what appears to be the obvious reason but as a negotiation or communication tool. A "fight" is a difference of opinion and the fight itself is the method of trying to "win" your point. A little skill and language knowledge and you can avert a fight and invite a discussion ... or put your opponent into a nice, deep, relaxing sleep ... ha ha just kidding.

M.

Thread Information