Thread: Falling asleep

Default Falling asleep

Can I ask if I fall asleep during a session, do I then go into normal sleep brainwaves ie delta etc.
    I was wondering if I was using a visualsation program and had become entrained to that level..then fall asleep do I lose the entrainment?

I was also thinking along the lines of creating new neural pathways. I feel I need more alhpa and so if I was listening to lots of alpha based programs to encourage my brain in that direction...then I fall asleep while listening.....do I lose the alpha?
    Life is but a dream

Blog Entries

Default Re: Falling asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post
    Can I ask if I fall asleep during a session, do I then go into normal sleep brainwaves ie delta etc.
    I was wondering if I was using a visualsation program and had become entrained to that level..then fall asleep do I lose the entrainment?
    It's a good question and a bit of a difficult one to answer - I'll give it a shot. The principle behind the theory of entrainment that one is coaxing their brainwaves into a dominant pattern of your choosing (via AVS or other methods) and by repeating the process over time, you'll find it easier to access those desired states. If you fall asleep during a session, the lower frequencies will become more dominant but the sleep cycle involves alpha and theta so while you may lose consciousness, you don't really lose the "entrainment". If you were doing a beta session and you fell asleep, then ya - that would be more of a state change than if you were doing something in the alpha, alpha/theta area. In sum, for what you were doing, falling asleep isn't going to change much.

I was also thinking along the lines of creating new neural pathways. I feel I need more alpha and so if I was listening to lots of alpha based programs to encourage my brain in that direction...then I fall asleep while listening.....do I lose the alpha?
    Neural pathways are strengthened by repetition so you are on the right track with choosing to do more Alpha based sessions. AVS is helpful for getting you into that state but the trick comes in maintaining that state. Behaviors that coincide with alpha brain waves are: positive thinking, a relaxed calmness that one gets when engaged in a pleasant activity that doesn't involve a lot of thought (an activity such as gardening, working on a hobby, playing a really easy game on the computer, walking etc.). Doing these activities will help your brain stay in that alpha state longer.

We want to strengthen alpha but we also want to be able to concentrate upon an idea (especially if you are writing, you want a state where you are not fighting a wandering mind (or so I think).

SMR (12-15hz) is associated with a quiet body and active mind. Would you be needing a more active mind for poetry? While relaxation is good for imagery, creativity sometimes involves a bit more cognitive action. You may have to experiment with some of the programs and see which one works best for what you want to do.

When I was writing hypnosis scripts for my certification exams, I would use my Proteus (without lights) on P21. (SMR/Beta). I found this helped me. My circumstance may be slightly different than your in that I tend to have too much Theta dominant and need to ramp things up a bit.

I got a bit off topic here and want to emphasize the point that - in order to entrain the brain to a certain state - engage in activities and thinking that align with the state you want to entrain to. So, the machine can help you find that state (drive you there) and you can maintain that state through conscious activity. Use the machine but think beyond the machine.

Does that make sense?

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Default Re: Falling asleep

Yes thanks, that makes good sense. When I am writing poetry I would say I am probably in Alpha as the inspiration comes but when I am writing, say my newsletter, then I need to be on the ball and with incisive thought so probably more beta coming in.
    I probably am not so likely to fall asleep in alpha, much more likely in the lower range but going to concentrate for the present on bringing my mind into balance and a calm uplifted state.
    I think this takes priority for the present and will put aside all my experiments in the lower regions for a while lol
    Thanks again ;-)
    Life is but a dream

Thread Information