Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procyon Analog AS settings

1. Default Procyon Analog AS settings

I would like to incorporate the Procyon's color capabilities with the Audiostrobe sessions I have made with NP3 and MWS, so if anyone has any tips, I will greatly appreciate them. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to the Procyon right now, but I'm sure that I can contribute in some other areas concerning BWE and AVS.

Cheers!
    Brewmasher
    Last edited by Andy; 04-20-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: New Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Procyon Analog AS settings

Hey Brewmasher!

Welcome to the group and congratulations on your purchase. It sounds like our backgrounds with Mindplace and BWE products are pretty similar. I have had a Sirius for years and a Thoughtstream. Just recently took the leap into the Procyon and man am I having fun!

I have been digging into the unit very deeply (right now working on my first Synchromuse track) but I do have NP3 and MW as well as Mind Stereo.

I am working as well with the best way to get the most use of the Procyon with AudioStrobe from these programs.

Please consider this an ongoing discussion and by all means share what you find!

A good document on the procedure for optimizing the Procyon for software AS is here:

http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=550

The most that you can do easily is to swap the colors for AS in the software editor.

There is a command in the utilities menu 'Set Audiostrobe Colors and Balance'

It is pretty flexible and powerful. Using 3 colors is going to require that we export our audio from NP3 or MW and using the Procyon editor recreate the session and then export DAS headers to make a Synchromuse file.

For a new user that is a bunch of jibberish I know. I will make tutorials in the near future as I am still figuring it out.

So that should get you started. Please ask questions and share your experiences.
    Last edited by Andy; 04-20-2011 at 10:38 AM.

3. Default Re: Procyon Analog AS settings

Thanks for your reply neuroasis. Yes I have found the A/S editor in the utilities menu. Through the adjustments between both the software's and the unit, I can get a pretty good signal using two colors. When I try to isolate only one color, the flickering becomes slightly erratic. Do you have this problem also?

Also, is there any documentation on what the buttons and sliders do in the AS editor? I couldn't seem to find any.
    Last edited by Andy; 04-20-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brewmasher View Post
    Thanks for your reply neuroasis. Yes I have found the A/S editor in the utilities menu. Through the adjustments between both the software's and the unit, I can get a pretty good signal using two colors. When I try to isolate only one color, the flickering becomes slightly erratic. Do you have this problem also?

Also, is there any documentation on what the buttons and sliders do in the AS editor? I couldn't seem to find any.
    I don't think any official documentation has been done yet for the AS adjustments in the editor, and they are quite overdue! My apologies for that. It really needs to be added to the Editor manual. The document Neuroasis linked is a good tutorial. So until the documentation gets added to the Editor Manual, here is what the functions are:

Gain (Left or Right) sets the amount of AS signal required to light up the Ganzframes to full brightness. This can be adjusted higher to make the lights brighter at a lower volume level of the incoming AS signal, or lower to allow a higher incoming AS signal.

Color checkboxes in the middle select which colors on the Ganzframes will illuminate for the Left or Right incoming AS signal. Since AS is only 2-channel, you can select any of the 3 colors (or combinations) to illuminate for each of the AS channels.

Set Analog Noise Floor allows you to eliminate lighting of the Ganzframes when there's no AS signal. Sometimes with noisier audio sources, you can get the Ganzframes illuminating even when there's no AS signal. Adjusting this slider to the right will stop this from happening. It should only be adjusted as little as needed to allow the maximum range of AS intensities. i.e. keep the slider to the left as much as possible.

The Test button will send the settings to the Procyon to allow you to see how your new settings will work, but does not store them permanently.

Save as Default will send the setting to the Procyon and make them permanent even when the editor is disconnected from the Procyon. You can of course reconnect the Editor and make adjustments again.

Close will close that dialog box.

Questions? Ask Away!

-Andy.

5. Default Re: Procyon Analog AS settings

Thanks Andy. That helps take a lot of guesswork out of the equation. I know that dealing with analog is akin to tuning in a radio signal, so I am still twisting the knobs

Any clues on why I am getting the erratic flashing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brewmasher View Post
    Any clues on why I am getting the erratic flashing?
    No. What do you mean by "isolating a color"?

-Andy.

7. Default Re: Procyon Analog AS settings

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    No. What do you mean by "isolating a color"?

-Andy.
    When I want either pure red, yellow, or blue.

Blog Entries

Can you explain exactly what you're doing and what you observe?

-Andy.

9. Default Re: Procyon Analog AS settings

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Can you explain exactly what you're doing and what you observe?

-Andy.
    I am hooking up the Procyon to a laptop USB and patch cord and playing a beta session from MWS. I select red on one channel in the Procyon editor, it will not let me select red for both channels. I adjust the gain and noise sliders to get a smooth flash at the beginning of the session which is alpha. As the frequency ramps to beta, the light intensity become erratic flashing brighter in one eye or the other in random fashion. The higher the frequency, the more pronounced.

Blog Entries

Start by trying the Procyon running on Alkaline batteries, not connected via USB to the computer. Let me know if that makes a difference.

-Andy.

Thread Information