Thread: blank mind or can I think at the same time?

Default blank mind or can I think at the same time?

Can I ask if we are meant to keep the mind blank when listening (apart from using learning tapes)
    For instance, if I am in a certain level say theta...will I be knocked out of theta if I use that level of awareness to think of things?
    Hope someone will help

Blog Entries

Default Re: blank mind or can I think at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonchild View Post
    Can I ask if we are meant to keep the mind blank when listening (apart from using learning tapes)
    For instance, if I am in a certain level say theta...will I be knocked out of theta if I use that level of awareness to think of things?
    Hope someone will help
    Try it.

It depends on what you are thinking about and how you are thinking about it. For example, when someone is under hypnosis, you can pose a question and get an answer. You can set the direction of thought but if you actively engage in thinking, it becomes more of a conscious process and you may not remain in the theta state.

It's really all about the results you get and the results you want. So if you find that level of awareness a good one to be in to think about things, then you are getting the results you want. If you are finding that when you try to think about things while in that state but find it difficult to stay in that state, try slowing down your thinking. You do that by slowing down the speed of the self talk (which is your thoughts). Thinking fast or talking to yourself fast will keep you from Theta or take you out of it.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thanks very much Marisa. I think that answers my question. I am aware of being in very deeply relaxed states where I felt that I could give my whole attention to something but was scared that to concentrate would take me out of it but I don't think it does.

Strangely I also feel that some of the very stimulating ones also help by engaging the mind so the monkey mind is over-ridden

Blog Entries

Thanks very much Marisa. I think that answers my question. I am aware of being in very deeply relaxed states where I felt that I could give my whole attention to something but was scared that to concentrate would take me out of it but I don't think it does.

Strangely I also feel that some of the very stimulating ones also help by engaging the mind so the monkey mind is over-ridden
    Hey Moonchild,

Both states can be useful for thinking - they just invoke different ways of thinking. One way opens a gateway into the unconscious - which can be useful in some cases and distracting in other cases. The other way can tap into creative genius but requires more energy and control as it can go toward almost mania or anxiety (becoming over-whelmed).

M.

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Yes, I can see that now. They are so different and its very exciting to see all the many ways they exercise the brain.
    Can I ask if they all work at balancing the hemispheres or are some programs or brain waves more efficient than others.
    I am really enjoying my Proteus now. Unfortunately I seem to have lost my cable for downloading from the pc so will have to see about getting a replacement then I also hope to print out all the different information about each session with the recommendations I have read on reading through these threads.

Can I also ask if the Procion can synchronise any cds that are played through it.? I do not ubnderstand about audiostrobe as I seem to have lost the cd that came with my proteus. Is it just for entertainment?

Blog Entries

Can I ask if they all work at balancing the hemispheres or are some programs or brain waves more efficient than others.

All the programs, especially those that use binaural beats, create activity in both hemispheres. This is a good thing (unless you are prone to seizures) because this kind of activation also helps reduce anxiety.

The balancing of hemispheres is one of those things that takes a bit of fact and creates a larger fictional story around it. Certain things are processed in each of the hemispheres and some activities use both hemispheres. In some cases, such as with anxiety, it's been found that if you activate both hemispheres through an activity such as tossing a ball from hand to hand (or using your Proteus) the anxiety is reduced - panic attack stopped.

Do you see how someone could take the above information and make an assumption that the hemispheres were out of balance and/or that this event was caused by an imbalance? It's a partial truth that the brain got stuck and the introduced activity gave it a nudge - and that this kind of thing can be useful.

So, to make a long story short - the hemispheres don't need balancing or synchronizing but the activity created in the brain by AVS is a good thing as activity in the brain is good for the brain. In addition, AVS can help the brain get unstuck which I suppose in doing so, it provides the opportunity for balance in the person.

Some conditions can cause inappropriate amounts of activity in regions of the brain or not enough activation in certain parts of the brain. These are things that would have to be diagnosed by a neurologist and confirmed by EEG. On our own, at best, we are guessing what is going on in our brain based on correlating symptoms from known cases. We know that someone with ADD will likely have too much Theta dominant and would benefit from Beta programs. Given this, it is also safe to assume that someone having problems concentrating will likely benefit from Beta/SMR programs.

Just think of the words hemispheric balancing or synchronizing to mean that the program contains binaural beats (and that is something that causes activity in both hemispheres at the same time).

Can I also ask if the Procyon can synchronize any Cd's that are played through it.?
    No, the Procyon can't do this. There is a program (Synchromuse) that you can use with the Procyon to make your own encoded music but I haven't got a clue how it works though there is a tutorial available on the support site.
    I do not understand about audio-strobe as I seem to have lost the CD that came with my Proteus. Is it just for entertainment?
    Audiostrobe Cd's are music Cd's that have an embedded program in them to control the lights on your AVS machine. Most of them use Alpha/Theta frequencies as most of the Cd's are designed for relaxation. I can't tell you much beyond that because we did not create the Cd's.
    Last edited by Andy; 03-10-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Many thanks Marisa. That is helpful.

I read on another thread that you said that we do not take in any information during sleep.

I took it that you mean that in delta we are no longer responding to anything, although I know that the brain goes through many differnt levels in the course of a night.

This is confusing to me for I thought that a part of us is always awake or aware...think of a sleeping mother who will wake in an instant if her baby cries. I would have thought that a new mother's level of exhaustion would have been almost sure to have delta sleep and yet we always wake up.

The reason why I am asking is that I use a pillow speaker...a small device like a flat speaker that plugs into a tape that plays all night under my pillow to program my brain. I do not use it all the time of course but the reason why it was made and why I bought it is that I wanted to access my unconscious mind during sleep.

Thread Information