Thread: Sessions with spikes and high beta frequencies

Default Sessions with spikes and high beta frequencies

Hi,

I started using AVS fifteen years ago with the trusty, if limited, Voyager Galaxy, and for the last seven years I've had the superb MP Proteus .

In the past I tended to only use mind machines to get into a theta state for self-hypnotic work and meditation, but in the last couple of years - especially after reading more on neurofeedback - I've started to veer towards more alpha and beta oriented sessions.

In fact my two favourites at the moment from the built-in Proteus sessions are "#20 Concentration" and "#21 Creativity Enhancement" - both of which mix light-alpha and beta, and leave me feeling much sharper and clearer afterwards.

So with that as a brief introduction - my questions are:

1)
    What are the effects of frequency "spikes" in a session - when there are relatively rapid ramps from, say, 8hz to 28hz, and then immediately back down to 8hz again? These spikes occur in a large number of the Mindplace L&S sessions - particularly the ones designed by Dr. Gerhard Bittner.

I believe that the traditional idea in designing entrainment sessions was to remain at any particular frequency for a few minutes, and perhaps include gradual ramps to a slightly higher/lower frequency, to give the brain time to "lock on" and remain entrained at each step. But many of the Mindplace sessions suggest Dr. Bittner had is a different principle in mind. I gather these sessions were created after a three-year study at the university of Essen, in Germany, so there is obviously significant research to support their design.

I am also familiar with the concept of "Brain Brightening" - AVS sessions with many rapid frequency shifts as a "neural exercise" program, but I'm not clear what happens on an eeg during such rapid shifts, nor what their purpose is in the Proteus sessions.

Has anyone got any insights into this?

2) High beta, as in the 20hz-28hz range, seems to be often associated with anxiety, and I gather that in neurofeedback for people with ADHD, the 12hz-18hz range is encouraged, whilst theta and high beta is discouraged.

However, personally I've benefited from Proteus sessions which spend quite some time in high beta, including the two I mentioned above. So, does anyone know (or suspect!) why the sessions were designed to include high beta, and what its positive benefits may be?

Thanks,

Joseph
    Last edited by Joseph Kao; 08-29-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: A little googling brought up Dr. Gerhard Bittner as the session designer.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sessions with spikes and high beta frequencies

Hi Joseph,

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kao View Post

So with that as a brief introduction - my questions are:

1) What are the effects of frequency "spikes" in a session - when there are relatively rapid ramps from, say, 8hz to 28hz, and then immediately back down to 8hz again? These spikes occur in a large number of the Mindplace L&S sessions - particularly the ones designed by Dr. Gerhard Bittner.
    Generally the ramping up and down is a way to stir things up a bit. It is also used as a method to prevents habituation and boredom.

I believe that the traditional idea in designing entrainment sessions was to remain at any particular frequency for a few minutes, and perhaps include gradual ramps to a slightly higher/lower frequency, to give the brain time to "lock on" and remain entrained at each step. But many of the Mindplace sessions suggest Dr. Bittner had is a different principle in mind. I gather these sessions were created after a three-year study at the university of Essen, in Germany, so there is obviously significant research to support their design.
    I'll check with Robert on this and get back to you.

2) High beta, as in the 20hz-28hz range, seems to be often associated with anxiety, and I gather that in neurofeedback for people with ADHD, the 12hz-18hz range is encouraged, whilst theta and high beta is discouraged.

However, personally I've benefited from Proteus sessions which spend quite some time in high beta, including the two I mentioned above. So, does anyone know (or suspect!) why the sessions were designed to include high beta, and what its positive benefits may be?

It depends on the person and their brain. People with attention and concentration problems tend to have theta dominant in inappropriate times (like when they need to focus) and so Beta based sessions help the brain to get out of that state. None of the programs stay in the high beta range for very long, most of them stay around the SMR range and take brief visits into the higher ranges.

If someone is already in a nervous or stressed state, more Beta is just like adding gasoline to fire.

Hope this helps.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Hi Marisa,

Thanks for replying .

Ramps and spikes to prevent boredom and habituation (and grab attention) makes sense to me.

I've also read some of Robert's posts on "broadband stimulation", which you can see in the original Mindlab sessions, ramping up and down throughout the session within a set range, rather than targeting one specific frequency.

As for your comments on beta, I understand that targeting beta should help diminish excess theta, but I wondered why you wouldn't just target the 15-19hz range, (and perhaps some of the SMR range), rather than spend time on the upper ranges of beta.

For example, the first 4 sessions built into the Proteus extensively target the 20hz to 28hz range:

You can see this clearly on the graphs you linked to here: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...9&d=1225037475

These four sessions all come under the "Peak Performance" heading. I'm just interested in the thinking behind this, or if you or anyone knows of the specific benefits of high beta, as in the 20-28hz ish range (as distinct from the SMR, normal beta or gamma ranges, about which I can find plenty of material).

What I'm after is to generally widen/deepen my understanding of session design beyond the basics. Looking at the session graphs for the Proteus, about 80% of the choices the designer made make perfect sense to me, and about 20% leave me puzzled and wondering why that bit was included!

It would be great to assemble some fundamental principles of session design, don't you think!?

By the way, when I read that a university study and the work of Dr. Gerhard Bittner was behind many of the Mindplace L&S sessions, it made me think that Mindplace could promote this more in their marketing.

I know certain other companies make a big deal about a psychologist designing their sessions, and I read one comparative review of mind machines that talks about the Proteus/Procyon's sessions being more for fun/experimental, whereas certain other devices' sessions are more based on clinical research. Knowing that this is nonsense, and that a great deal of research went into the Mindplace L&S session designs is both reassuring, and something I think could be promoted more than it is. Just a suggestion of course...

All the best,

Joseph

Greetings-- these sessions are actually modified slightly from Gert Bittner's original versions, to roll off some of the more dramatic changes. He did not tell us the specifics for why he included the rapid leaps into beta, but his focus was on sports and 'peak' performance, which includes beta activation. Sweeping through a broad range of frequencies relatively quickly would indeed cause broader-band activation, roughly similar to Tom Budzynski's 'brain brightening' approach.

There are some session designers that focus on staying at a specific frequency for an extended period, but as Marisa pointed out, that generally does not work well, due to habituation. Our sessions tend to ramp within a target band, because individual differences mean that the ideal frequency within a band for one person is probably not the same for others.

Some years ago, we had some of Dr Bittner's work translated into English--I'll locate them and, when I have time, scan them to our library.

-Robert

Thanks Robert - I've looked into so-called "Beta 2" and "Beta 3" and it all makes more sense to me now. The higher ranges of beta seem to be more associated with quick reaction times and maximum alertness, but, like having too much coffee, the can be connected to anxiety and "overthinking" too.

So I understand better why the "Peak Performance" sessions are more for athletes and rapid physical reaction times, rather than for concentration and focused study.

And thanks for confirming the efficacy of broadband stimulation sessions.

I'd be very interested in reading some of Dr Bittner's work translated into English, so if you've got the time I'd be very grateful if you could upload it.

I'm creating a series of sessions for the Proteus specifically for improved focus and alertness at the moment, and will upload them to the forum when I've tested them all.

All the best,

Joseph
    Last edited by Joseph Kao; 09-23-2010 at 02:24 AM.
    Joseph Kao DHypPsych(UK)
    Try my free hypnosis mp3s and videos at
    www.exploringtrance.com

If anyone's interested in trying the sessions I designed, I've added seven "Brain Brightening" Proteus sessions to the forum library, along with user instructions for a two month protocol to follow. See the link below:

http://mindplacesupport.com/forum/sh...=6269#post6269

All the best,

Joseph
    Last edited by Joseph Kao; 09-23-2010 at 02:24 AM.
    Joseph Kao DHypPsych(UK)
    Try my free hypnosis mp3s and videos at
    www.exploringtrance.com

Thread Information