Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial Randomise - Brain Brightening

Default Tutorial Randomise - Brain Brightening

Compliments of the Season to all.

I have been reading the Tutorial: Using the Ramdomization feature of Proteus Editor. This is very interesting, but I was disapointed to find that there appears to be no example of the promised topic:

"Creating broadband stimulation protocols for overall activation (this approach is called 'Brain Brightening' by Dr Thomas Budzynski)"

This is a group of procedures I would really like to use. Is there a possibillity that you could expand this tutorial to cover this topic?

Thank you Allan

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tutorial Randomise - Brain Brightening

I will pass your suggestion on to Robert!

Thank you Marisa

Further to my original posting on the subject of:

"Creating broadband stimulation protocols for overall activation (this approach is called 'Brain Brightening' by Dr Thomas Budzynski)"

I realise that extending the tutorial to include this topic is a long term exercise. I would however like to use a procedure to assist me in minimising mind deterioration due to age. I am of course using various standard procedures such as 33 to 37 on a daily basis. Can you give me some pointers on how to write such a procedure?

What are the requirements for a 'Brain Brightening' procedure? I have a feeling that it should concentrate on the alpha to high beta range. What is the advantage of using random segments - can you assist at all?
    Thanks Allan.

Blog Entries

Hi Allan,

Where did you find the writing "Brain Brightening" by Budzynski? I'd like to read more about what he's talking about before I attempt to answer your questions on that subject.

Were you looking for some information on keeping your brain in shape in addition to recommended L&S programs?

A quick answer regarding target frequencies: For cognitive improvement SMR and Alpha are actually your best bet. SMR is low Beta (12 - 15 Hz).

If you are wanting to write a program of your own and want to know which frequencies to target, let me know. If you just want to know which Proteus programs to use then I recommend programs 17 - 22.

Short bursts of high beta can be helpful. Too much high beta will make you feel anxious or hyper. You can try P3 and see how you feel afterward. It's only a 15 minute program and covers the range from 16 - 30 Hz.

Habitation occurs when a person is exposed to the same frequency over time. We want to avoid habitation and do so in the programs by mixing things up a bit (spending a bit of time in the range of Alpha and then Beta etc. as opposed to spending time focusing on one frequency). I hope that makes sense.

M.

Hello Marisa
    The first LSI I bought was the Voyager Galaxy. The Voyager Galaxy site had some very good articles available, three of them were by Thomas Budzynski they are available at the following URL:

http://www.thetavoyager.com/Articles.htm

I have looked for other articles by him on the web because he did not give exact details of frequencies and time etc. There was a "Brain Brightening" session on the Galaxy but I have lent the Galaxy to my son in law. So yes I do want to write my own session to use on the Proteus to suppliment the existing L&S programs.

When I read the "Using the Randomise Function" Tutorial at:

http://www.proteus-support.org/Proteus.htm

This tutorial mentioned under the third option that it will cover:

"Creating broadband stimulation protocols for overall activation (this approach is called 'Brain Brightening' by Dr. Thomas Budzynski)"

I realised that this may be the information that I was looking for and I felt that the randomised aspect would tend to negate the effects of habitisation. However there was no obvious detail presented. It may have been inferred as a simple modification of the procedures offered - but if so I did not understand.

Regarding your suggestions as to the standard programs to use, I will use them in rotation with programs 33-37 that I have been using for this job.
    Thank you for your input. Allan

Hello Marisa

I wonder if you have any more information on the "Brain Brightening" randomise programs?

I would like to write one or two for my personal use. I find that the ramdom program on P00 is quite dramatic and always gives me good visuals, I also enjoy P48 and P49.

I have been using 22 and 37 but find that sometimes the visuals are much less dramatic especially when the green LEDs are running by themselves. The visuals become monochrome with very little noticable pulsing. I think that a ramdom session using suitable "Brain Brightening" frequencies may assist me to get past this block.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Allan

Blog Entries

Hi Allen,

Quote Originally Posted by agodney View Post
    Hello Marisa

I wonder if you have any more information on the "Brain Brightening" randomise programs?
    I do not. Hmmm what in particular are you looking for? An idea of what frequencies to target or is it something more on how to use the randomise program?

I would like to write one or two for my personal use. I find that the random program on P00 is quite dramatic and always gives me good visuals, I also enjoy P48 and P49.
    I think program 00 just chooses one of the 49 programs to play randomly. So you'll get a different program every time. P 48 and 49 are just for entertainment and do not target any specific brain frequency, at least long enough to have any therapeutic effect.

From what I can tell "brain brightening" targets frequencies 12 to 15 Hz (which are SMR). SMR is associated with improved cognitive ability and focus. Increased cognitive ability. No other set of frequencies will do this, at least as well.

I have been using 22 and 37 but find that sometimes the visuals are much less dramatic especially when the green LEDs are running by themselves. The visuals become monochrome with very little noticeable pulsing. I think that a random session using suitable "Brain Brightening" frequencies may assist me to get past this block.
    P 22 is an Alpha Beta program and 37 targets waves from Theta to Alpha to Beta. Those two programs are pretty encompassing. Hmmm well ... uh the good news is that you don't need to find the programs entertaining for them to work though it does make for a more pleasant experience. The green LEDs are going to be on more especially when you are targeting a theta or alpha state. The red LEDs will be more stimulating.

The bad news is that if you create a program that changes dramatically every 30 seconds or so, you may be more entertained but you won't get any therapeutic value out of it. You need to be able to spend at least 10 (preferably 15 to 20) minutes in a range of frequencies (Beta, SMR, Alpha, Theta or Delta) for it to have an entrainment effect. Keeping in mind that each range of frequencies is associated with different states of mind.

The best programs for a brain brightening effect are: P17 - 22 & 38 - 42. You may also like programs 33 - 37. 33 & 34 are mostly alpha. 35 & 36 are mostly Theta and Beta (an interesting combination that may get you results). and P 37 targets Theta, Alpha and Beta - though it's a bit longer of a program and because of the Theta frequencies, you may not find it as interesting ... however, you may find it beneficial to just trance out.

M.

Hello Marisa

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

Regards Allan

Tom's an old friend of mine, and has described "brain brightening" using light and sound as, hopping between a range of frequencies every few seconds. The goal is to increase overall activation within the frequency range, which as you suggest could be in the alpha and beta range. I'll try to post an expanded tutorial and/or session(s) in the near future. My original version had 1,000 segments and lasted 15 minutes, but died in an unfortunate computer crash before I could back it up or post it. That session didn't leave much room for others, though!

Procyon's looping feature will enable much more compact sessions.

Thread Information