Thread: Procyon Questions...Newbie

1. Question Procyon Questions...Newbie

Hello all, I'm very impressed with the forum and all that I've read about the products. I'm teetering, about to pull the trigger on a Procyon system, but I have a couple of concerns. Please bear with me; I have spent time on this forum so I'm not just asking rudely but I apologize if I've missed a post answering any of these questions. I have also read a great deal of Craig T's blogs, so I've got a lot of interesting information floating around my cranium.

1. How "new" is this new Procyon system...I want to make sure I don't buy it only to find out the next version is on it's way and I've got something obsolete, so to speak. It sounds like it's still pretty new.

2. I'm a little concerned about the Audiostrobe implementation; my relatively crude understanding of it is that the "true" standard allows for L/R eye strobing separately, and that the Procyon does not do this...am I wrong? If not, then is it a problem? How does it impact sessions? I'd like to maximize my investment and make sure it's really standards compliant with AS CDs...in other words, I know it will "work" with AS CDs, but will it work as intended or will there be a compromise?

3. How tight is the integration with NP3 or MWS? I have been test-driving these products and enjoying them greatly, and I would like to make sure the Procyon works properly with it, without compromise if possible. I don't really want to buy the L&S from Transparent since so many seem to adore their procyons, and I'd like to get in on the action. I have some money to spend but buying two sets of ganzfelds to start with seems a bit silly.

OK, I'm sure I've managed to annoy some pros and hopefully arouse the nurturers to reply...thanks for listening, er, reading.

Nice to meet you all!

Mike

Blog Entries

Default Re: Procyon Questions...Newbie

Hello, Mike, and welcome!

I'll do my best to answer some of your questions, and hopefully others will also add their POV.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthlover View Post
    1. How "new" is this new Procyon system...I want to make sure I don't buy it only to find out the next version is on it's way and I've got something obsolete, so to speak. It sounds like it's still pretty new.
    The Rev1 Procyon came out about 2007 and the Rev2 in about 2008 so it's still pretty new. Ganzfelds and 3-color implementation is the main advantage over previous systems, but the MUCH older Proteus still sells very well with it's 2-colour system. AVS has been around for a long time and MindPlace has been producing products longer than any other manufacturer. The science has been around forever so even older MP products are still completely valid and useful.

2. I'm a little concerned about the Audiostrobe implementation; my relatively crude understanding of it is that the "true" standard allows for L/R eye strobing separately, and that the Procyon does not do this...am I wrong? If not, then is it a problem? How does it impact sessions? I'd like to maximize my investment and make sure it's really standards compliant with AS CDs...in other words, I know it will "work" with AS CDs, but will it work as intended or will there be a compromise?
    I don't know that's there is a "true" standard for AS other than how the AS signals are generated, but perhaps someone will correct me on that. Separate L/R strobing is possible with the Procyon if you purchase single-colour ganzframes and an adapter. I doubt that L/R is necessary, however, as most get excellent results with AS and the Procyon.

3. How tight is the integration with NP3 or MWS? I have been test-driving these products and enjoying them greatly, and I would like to make sure the Procyon works properly with it, without compromise if possible. I don't really want to buy the L&S from Transparent since so many seem to adore their procyons, and I'd like to get in on the action. I have some money to spend but buying two sets of ganzfelds to start with seems a bit silly.
    The analog AS mode in the Procyon was created specifically for compatibility with NP3. There's plenty written about this on the forum, and a sticky at the top of this forum that discusses how to calibrate the Procyon with NP3/MWS. So I guess the answer is yes, the two do work very well together.

-Andy.

3. Default Re: Procyon Questions...Newbie

Hi Andy, what a pleasant surprise. Thanks for being so quick, thorough, and helpful. I appreciate it!

I had missed the sticky post; now it makes sense. I can tell that you guys really care about the product and put considerable effort and time into making it fantastic, and I feel terrific about ordering from you.

Thanks a zil!

Mike

4. Default Re: Procyon Questions...Newbie

Hi again, just wanted to say, I pulled the trigger! You had an amazing Amazon special for the Procyon along with Eternal Elements CDs I & II, and after your warm and supportive response I felt excited to go ahead. I'm stoked!! I'll be sure to report back my experiences here, and I want to thank-you Andy for your support.

Take care,

Mike

Thread Information