http://www.futurehealth.org/populum/...00129-958.html

I wonder if entrainment would make this even more effective?

"Based on this theory, my colleagues and I have developed another way to reach The nondominant hemisphere [in this case, without biofeedback]. Since we want to suspend critical screening by the left hemisphere, we overload it with some meaningless task which the nondominant side does not care to process, leaving it free to do other things. The other thing in this case is listening to a message carefully prepared for the right brain. I discovered that repeating out loud a fast sequence of random numbers presented by a tape recorder made it impossible to consciously hear another tape recorded message being played at the same time. To enhance the effect, the random numbers are played at a slightly higher volume level in the right ear [more of what a person hears in their right ear goes to the left hemisphere, and vice versa]. The message intended for the right hemisphere displayed at a lower volume, but still audibly, in the left ear. If someone listens for and repeats the fast sequence of numbers, he hears very little of the other message. We tested these techniques on 20 men and women who were interested in weight control, using a tape with 10 weight-control suggestions. It also contained one suggestion that had nothing to do with weight loss: 'The back of your neck will itch.' When the 20 people repeated the random numbers as a group ' sounding like some jet-age mantra ' 12 of them scratched. Afterward, I asked if anyone heard a suggestion that did not concern weight control. Two of the people said they had heard the scratch suggestion, neither of them had scratched. A few days later, a woman told me that when she reached for a second helping of food, she heard a voice in her head say, 'You will eat only one helping..17, 96'' We have also prepared tapes to help people stop smoking."