Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to update to the new OS

Default How to Update to the new OS

This one is strictly for beginners like me. No offence is implied...

Hmm, sounds groovy. I had noticed the hiss. It was getting in the way of my in-periences... I thought the batteries were running low! Oh! my!...

But...how to you go about updating the console (mine is vs. 2.1.4)? You just connect it to the PC/laptop and then run the software and follow the instructions? Is that all? (it must be?).

Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Andy; 06-18-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to Update to the New OS

Quote Originally Posted by Al Cruz View Post
    But...how to you go about updating the console (mine is vs. 2.1.4)? You just connect it to the PC/laptop and then run the software and follow the instructions? Is that all? (it must be?).
    Hi Al;

Go to this page http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Procyon.htm and download the Procyon installer, unzip it and run it.
    On that same page is a document called "Procyon Editor User's Guide". Download that as well and have a read of it.
    Download the new OS from this thread, unzip it and follow the instructions in the Procyon Editor User's Guide on how to update the OS on the Procyon (around page 10 of the manual)

-Andy.
    Last edited by Andy; 06-18-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Default Re: How to update to the New OS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Hi Al;

Go to this page http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Procyon.htm and download the Procyon installer, unzip it and run it.
    On that same page is a document called "Procyon Editor User's Guide". Download that as well and have a read of it.
    Download the new OS from this thread, unzip it and follow the instructions in the Procyon Editor User's Guide on how to update the OS on the Procyon (around page 10 of the manual)

-Andy.
    Much appreciated Andy.

Default Re: How to update to the new OS

Hi Al;

-Andy.
    Andy, I already have the Procyon installer installed, however I understand this is not the console's OS update, this is the editor's latest version.

Now, you ask me to download the zip file from this thread (attached to the first posting). I have done so but... when I unzip the file the actual file within is not recognized by the computer XP OS... I therefore assume the unzipped file ending .PR2, will be only recognized by the console's OS and that the editor is needed to communicate with the console and install the new OS in the latter... is that it?

Hmm...I get it... let me study the manual first...back later...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Al Cruz View Post
    I therefore assume the unzipped file ending .PR2, will be only recognized by the console's OS and that the editor is needed to communicate with the console and install the new OS in the latter... is that it?

Hmm...I get it... let me study the manual first...back later...
    The manual has the answers to most any question about the operation of the console and the editor, but to answer your question, the .PR2 file is the file the editor will look for when looking to update your OS. You only need to remember what folder you stuck that file into when you downloaded and extracted it!

-Andy.
    Last edited by Andy; 06-18-2010 at 12:41 AM.

Post Re: How to update to the new OS

Hi Andy! Feedback much appreciated. I read the manual carefully (inc. the page 10 you suggested) and went for it. I am afraid there is another hiccup. The following happens:

Choose "Utilities" > Update Procyon

The following dialogue box opens:

"The serial port is not opened. Do you want to open it?"

Choose: "Yes or No".

Choose "Yes", say and another dialogue box pops-up:

"COM port is not available. Invalid port number. Select new COM port."

COM port? How do you mean COM Port? Port wine? After a few phone calls to friends I found the computer geek I was looking for. After a while hanging on the line, she came up with the following instructions:

"Right click on the "My Computer" icon > Choose "Properties" > Choose "Hardware" > Choose Device Manager > Scroll down to "Ports (COM & LPT) > Now...see if you have COM 4 there and free it".

Free it? Yep! I will. Followed Lesley's instructions and found the following:

(1) Communication port (COM1)
    (2) ECP Printer (LPT1)
    (3) USB Bridge for MindPlace Procyon (COM3)

There was no COM 4!

Back on the phone (...)

"Eh! Lesley! I do not have a COM 4 at all! Do you have a spare one I could borrow?"

She started laughing... hysterically...

I have only two free USB ports free (the other two are with the mouse and the keyboard). I have tried one and the other. Same scenario. The AVS Editor keeps telling me there is no COM 4.
    Is there a COM 4 in Windows XP Professional? Please note the device manager is informing me the Procyon is already using COM 3 but it wants COM4 instead. What is wrong with COM 3? The Procyon does not like it?

Any ideas? Thank you VM.

Blog Entries

Under "Serial Communication", select "Set COM Port" and select COM3.

Let me know if that works for you.

-Andy.

Greetings Andy,

Your recent feedback on the up-dating of the Procyon OS was much appreciated.

"Euston!" We have another problem. I followed the latest instruction you gave me, namely to open the AVS editor (inferred), select "Serial Communication" (inferred), and then "choose Port 4".

Port 4 is not given as an option. Only port 1 is. All others cannot be chosen (red). So, I disconnected the printer (USB) and another option appeared: port 3. So I have now port 1 and port 3 but there is no port 4 option displayed on the editor dialogue box.

The question is:

Would it be safe to use port 1 or port 3 instead without damaging
    Procyon's OS? Assuming the Editor accepts it. Probably it won't. See previous related posting in the thread...

If on the other hand I right-click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Ports (COM&LPT) > and then...click on the "+" sign in front of Ports (COM&LPT) to expand... I get the following:

Line 1: Communications Port (COM1) -
    this, by the way, is my external HDD.

Line 2: ECP Printer Port (LPT1) - this is my printer

Line 3: USB Bridge for Mindplace Procyon (COM3)-
    this seems to be the port the Procyon chooses by itself if the PC has no COM 4. If I disconnect the Procyon, the port (3) ceases to be listed in the Device Manager. Please refer to sequence above.

Oddly enough the other USB ports in my PC which are occupied by the "mouse" and the keyboard are not listed in the "device manager" under ports. Only the above appear.

Just one small detail or two:

All of the above applies with the my PC ON + the Procyon ON and connected to my PC with the USB cable provided in SES mode -
    Incidentally the Procyon switches ON automatically as soon as I connect its cable to the PC. I have tried also to switch it on before connecting. Same.

My PC's OS is XP Professional.

Thanks again for your help and patience. Much appreciated.

Over...

Under "Serial Communication", select "Set COM Port" and select COM3.

Let me know if that works for you.

-Andy.
    This is the actual reply to this posting. The details in my posting above cover much of the ground I gave in my recent E-mail to Andy. I posted in case it turns out to be useful to anyone reading.

YES! IT WORKED! I could see the progress bar in the Editor software until it finished. Done.

Interesting to note that the Procyon shifted automatically (afterwards) from SES mode to d.L1 mode. No problem.

Comment:

There seems to be a tangible improvement in the sound (tested in SES 39 one of my favourites) with a move towards the bass side of the spectrum - the "too much treble" subjective feeling must have been "too much hiss". Might add more compliments later
    but this will suffice for now.

Thanks a million for your patience and support.
    Keep up the good work.

Blog Entries

Glad to hear you got it all going.

Enjoy your newfound silence!

-Andy.

Thread Information