Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New OS - better sound!

Blog Entries

Default New OS - better sound!

Well, it wasn't easy. It took a considerable effort of re-working the software inside the Procyon, but the results are well worth it.

This latest OS (2.1.6) has eliminated the hiss that some customers found objectionable. Everyone will be happy to hear that the console is now background-noise silent like it's predecessor, the Proteus!

Please try this OS and let me know if you discover any bugs or new issues. If things seem to be working well, we will post it on the mindplace support site and start loading it as the default OS for new Procyons.

Great work on this, Todd!

-Andy.

NB: THIS OS IS FOR THE REV2 PROCYON ONLY!
    DO NOT TRY TO UPDATE THE REV1 PROCYON WITH THIS OS!

The Rev1 Procyon does not need this update.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Andy; 06-14-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Default Re: New OS - better sound!

Excellent! Thanks so much, you guys! This significantly reduced the "ground loop" problem when my Procyon was connected to the computer's USB for power. I'm surprised that a software fix alone was enough to take care of it. Thanks again, this is an outstanding improvement.

-Steve

Yup, that's another seriously spectacular update!

Love the self-test mode (Session mode, hold play and pause). What a wonderful demonstration of how much better the native Procyon LED control is over AS - you won't see smooth fades like that on a sine AS test.

I hope people really appreciate how much time goes into an update like this. The Procyon really has been awesome value - it's certainly the first product I have ever owned that has substantially improved over the two years I've had it - and it was good in the first place.

Cheers,
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
    Yup, that's another seriously spectacular update!

Love the self-test mode (Session mode, hold play and pause). What a wonderful demonstration of how much better the native Procyon LED control is over AS - you won't see smooth fades like that on a sine AS test.

I hope people really appreciate how much time goes into an update like this. The Procyon really has been awesome value - it's certainly the first product I have ever owned that has substantially improved over the two years I've had it - and it was good in the first place.

Cheers,
    Craig
    Thanks for the heads-up on the self-test mode Craig. Took me a couple of minutes to figure out what you were talking about though.

If you turn your procyon to session mode (which mine does when I turn it on anyway), and then press the top 2 control buttons at the same time, you will get this self-test. The led's rotate a bit and the lights-glasses fade-in and out with different colours. The audio output also goes up and down, fading-in and out. Nice little feature that I guess lets you see that the system is operating correctly. Looks and sounds very cool as well!

I'm really impressed that MP was able to get rid of the hissing noise by a software upgrade. I've tested it with a number of headphones and it seems to work fne in all cases. No more in-line-volume-control required!

I've spent a bit of time fine-tuning the AS set-up settings to my personal tastes. This is done in the Procyon editor Menu; Utilities/Set Audiostrobe colours and balance. Just make sure you hit the 'set to default' button on this screen or your new settings will not be transfered over.

To get the same left/right AS channel brightness response (at not too loud audio settings) I had to set the left channel at -4.5db and right at -7.5db.

I also needed to slide the Analogue noise floor (bottom slider on the same AS set-up screen) up to 20. This makes the analogue and digital AS responses almost exactly the same. If the noise floor is too low the lights flash brightly from the start of AS tracks (in analogue mode) instead of fading in. They can also flash between the finish/start of tracks.

So with these minor changes, it all works very well now in my opinion.

Thanks again to MP for giving us this free, and very useful, upgrade.

Best cheers,
    TomC

Blog Entries

Hey Guys - the self-test has been there since 2008!

http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=544 (Item #3)

Glad you like the update nonetheless!

-Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Hey Guys - the self-test has been there since 2008!

http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=544 (Item #3)

Glad you like the update nonetheless!

-Andy.
    Thanks Andy,

I think I do remember this self-test option. At this time I think that the hissing noise was the main problem so I think that the self-test (which was never explained, regarding what it was trying to tell us anyway) took a back seat. I think that this self-test feature is still a bit of a ???

Cheers,
    TomC
    Last edited by TomC; 06-10-2010 at 12:22 AM.

7. Default Re: New OS - better sound!

Thanks so much for this! This was an xmas present from my wife last year and I used it for 2 weeks before the hissing drove me to stop using it. I was actually having to pretend to use it, so my wife wouldnt feel bad for getting me a present I didnt enjoy! She was getting close to catching on, because I was sleeping very restless, and she couldnt see the glasses lighting up anymore. I just tried an audiostrobe mp3 from my iphone and the hum/hiss is gone! I find it very hard to relax, and the audio interference drove me crazy since im naturally inclined to repair anything thats broken, so my Procyon sessions were nothing more than me obsessing on how to fix the audio issue. So happy now! Thanks for your hard work in resolving this! I do have quite the collection of headphones and patch cables now.

Another very positive thing I just found out with the new Procyon 2.1.6 OS.

I can now use a USB power bus as a battery adapter to power my Procyon. When I tried to do this in the past, I would get a lot of 'clicking' noises (as well as the hissing noises). The new OS seems to have fixed both of these so now I can enjoy my Procyon sessions without going through a lot of AA batteries!

Thanks again MP.

Cheers,
    TomC

Excellent!!! Lots of very good work done here. )))))))
    (can we have cinematic style surround-sound next Andy? ...and monster subwoofers... )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Excellent!!! Lots of very good work done here. )))))))
    (can we have cinematic style surround-sound next Andy? ...and monster subwoofers... )
    That would be nice!

Thread Information