Thread: Do I need a Procyon IF I have a Proteus?

1. Default Do I need a Procyon IF I have a Proteus?

Hi folks.
    I have used the Proteus for years & have always felt that it was a good device. That said, it has been on the shelf for a while.
    I came back to look at this stuff and now see that the Procyron is the update that I had hoped for some year back. STILL, from what I ave read, it may not yet quite "be there" as a platform for advanced users.
    I would love some thoughts about this. Meanwhile, what I REALLY want to find for either machine is an application which will AUTOMATICALLY create appropriate sessions for any give piece of music. From what I have read the "Muse" software is anything but for the lazy man! Any help there? Last, I have read differing things about this last one; the third color on the Procyon--is it really well leveraged in any of the authoring programs out there (Procyon editor, BWGen, etc...).

Much thanks,
    HiramAbiff

Default Re: Do I need a Procyon IF I have a Proteus?

Hi,

The Procyon remains unique in the marketplace. I have half a dozen other machines, including a Proteus, which account for about 10% of my AVS usgae. If I could have only one machine, it would be the Procyon.

Automatic session creation software is a bit of a holy grail. Having come to appreciate how diverse people's tastes and purposes are for AVS, however, I doubt that a universal solution will be found.

I have setteld into a predominantly Procyon/Mind Workstation environment and it is rare to encounter something that can't be done with that pairing. Neuroprogrammer can meet most needs for a lot less dollars.

One of the joys of the Procyon is that its three colours can be mixed and mapped as required to the 2-colour Audisotrobe signals.

Tough decisions for you! It comes downs, to the greatest extent, to how much you're wanting to learn and experiment.

Cheers,
    Craig

Default Re: Do I need a Procyon IF I have a Proteus?

HiramAbiff,

Just my opinion but I would stick with your Proteus and just initially purchase Transparent's NP2-Pro (beginner version of Mind Workstation). This is only ~$60.

This uses the audiostrobe function of the Proteus and can be used to create just about anything you would want to. I have both Proteus and Procyon machines and I think that the audiostrobe function of the proteus works better than the procyon.

Also, there are lots of very good Audiostrobe tracks available for download. Just do a search or two.

NP2-pro is a pretty minimal investment and if this re-kindles your desire to take avs things further, you can evaluate whether to upgrade to a procyon and/or mind workstaion later.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers,
    TomC

Thread Information