Thread: AudioStrobe Problems

1. Default AudioStrobe Problems

This looks like the best thread to post my question. I ordered a Proteus from one of the Ebay resellers and ended up accidentally getting a Sirius instead and need to decide whether to keep it or to send it back and get the Proteus I actually ordered.

I am a long time AVS/Mindtech user (approx 15 years) , I still have my computer based Future Mind system running along with a CES device and NP2.

The problem with the Sirius that I need to know about is the Audiostrobe Sensitivity setting.

I am using a Flac based NP2 audio file running on my pda, patched into the Sirius, when I put it into U1 mode and start the audio file, the left side of the lightframes are basically off or VERY low brightness, the only way I can get the left side of the lightframes to match the right side is to adjust the Audiostrobe Sensitivity control. This happens with all NP2 files I've tried.

The same issues exists with the Sirius hooked patched to the soundcard output on the computer running NP2.

Do I have a defective device or is this normal behaviour.
    Last edited by Andy; 02-25-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Default Re: AudioStrobe Problems

Have you used these sessions with another Audiostrobe decoder? AS uses the left and right channels to either control one of two colours (as standard with the Proteus) or left and right frames (as standard with the Sirius). If you used the same session with the Proteus you would probably see a lot of one colour and very little of the other. For a start, check the balance on the NP2 AS track - it defaults to centre, but this is the setting that would cause what you describe.

Also check all your connections carefully - I know that some 3.5mm stereo cables have trouble seating properly in the sockets of some machines, giving a poor connection to one channel.

It is not usual to have to do anything clever to balance channels.

Cheers,
    Craig

sibble,

On the Sirius it's quite normal to have to adjust the sensitivity gain (volume wheel) in AS mode until the left/right brightness is the same. If you don't want to bother doing this just crank up the gain wheel to high and leave it there while you are in AS mode.

The Proteus AS sensitivity gain control is automatic so mabe a little better/easier to use. However, I find the overall quality of AS on both my Sirius and Proteus units to be ~ the same (very good).

Cheers,
    TomC

4. Default Re: AudioStrobe Problems

Hmm......

everything I've read, both in the product descriptions and comments from users on the net indicates that the AS implementation on the Proteus is significantly improved over the one on the Sirius. I also like the fact that the Proteus is flash upgradable.

As to testing with another AS device, no, this is my first and only AS decoder, cables have been replaced and tested, same results, from Tom's comments it seems this is normal behaviour, now I have to decide whether the send the Sirius back and get the Proteus I originally wanted.

Any reasons why I shouldn't do that? I already know most of the reasons why I should.

If you intend to mainly use it as a AS decoder using NP2 to create sessions, then I would hang onto the Sirius. I have both the Sirius and Proteus and I cannot tell any difference between the AS output, as long as you adjust the Sirius gain properly. If you think that this is too much trouble for you, then go for the Proteus.

You cannot go wrong with either of these units in my opinion. Your $'s so your decission.

Cheers,
    TomC

Blog Entries

Hi Sibble,

You mentioned that you originally wanted the Proteus. I'm thinking that since that is the unit you wanted and since you are still thinking about wanting it tells me that while the Sirius is okay, you really do want the Proteus.

The Proteus is newer technology than the Sirius and is also more versitile. Both machines, however, will accomplish the same goal so it really does boil down to a matter of preference.

It also depends on where you live and how easy or difficult it would be for you to exchange the Sirius for the Proteus.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by sibble-comp View Post
    Hmm......

everything I've read, both in the product descriptions and comments from users on the net indicates that the AS implementation on the Proteus is significantly improved over the one on the Sirius. I also like the fact that the Proteus is flash upgradable.

As to testing with another AS device, no, this is my first and only AS decoder, cables have been replaced and tested, same results, from Tom's comments it seems this is normal behaviour, now I have to decide whether the send the Sirius back and get the Proteus I originally wanted.

Any reasons why I shouldn't do that? I already know most of the reasons why I should.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thread Information